The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Well, obviously. The question is, is that town boring?
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Personally, no. I've been here 3 years now and there are still areas of Norwich I haven't even stepped foot in - so many back-alleys that haven't been explored!

It's actually got more there than people think, it's just very compact.

I'd recommend it :smile:
Original post by pseudo_nym
Well, obviously. The question is, is that town boring?

Well again it depends where you come from. I come from Hertfordshire which isn't exciting at all and am enjoying Norwich. Like you I had a worry that it would be really dull and boring and was looking at larger cities to go to uni but was definitely pleasantly surprised when going to UEA.

The uni is about a 20 minute bus ride/5-10 minute cab ride from the city centre which is something worth bearing in mind.
Well, I come from a capital city of 2M people originally, which is why I find my current workplace of 200k people dull.

I'm also a fan of non-pop culture (metal and goth), and I'm worried about the potential lack of clubs.
Reply 984
Hi there, dear forum!

I am currently considering a postgrad offer from the UEA, and I have some questions regarding the social/life side of the city.

How fun/boring is the city? Would you describe it as an active town? I am currently residing in a town of similar size, and I am bored out of my skull. I'm also vary of the "small city, so everyone knows everyone" syndrome.

A friends of mine described it, and i quote "the archetypal centre of provincial English backwardness".

I'd really have to disagree with your friend on that point - Norwich and Norfolk get a lot of flak for being quite isolated and far away from the rest of the country, and I have to admit that I was a little worried that I was moving to a cultural backwater when I went to UEA years ago. But it really is quite far removed from the common stereotype.

It's a lovely and energetic city that's surprisingly quite progressive in its outlook but also very mindful of its history. I've lived here for ages now, and I still get excited when exploring new parts of the city. Its isolation arguably has contributed to its dynamism: because it's the only major city in the area, it's become something of a magnet for creativity and culture in the region. There's something for everybody to enjoy in the City Centre and it's got far more activities and places of interest than my hometown (usually considered to be in a prime location nationally). It's also deceptively large as a city, but still has a lovely sense of community and inclusively, regardless of background and status.

In short, I think Norwich is an absolute jewel of a city and I've decided to stay on at UEA for postgrad study partly because I love living in Norwich. If you get the opportunity though, it might be worth visiting the city before you arrive in September to see what you make of it yourself.
Well, I come from a capital city of 2M people originally, which is why I find my current workplace of 200k people dull.

I'm also a fan of non-pop culture (metal and goth), and I'm worried about the potential lack of clubs.

I'm from London and don't find Norwich boring at all. It's got everything you could want- shops, cinemas, clubs, pubs.

I'll admit it doesn't offer a huge ammount for non alternative music fans although the Waterfront puts on a metal club night every so often I believe and UEA has a Deviant Society which is full of metal fan
Original post by Eloquai

Thanks for the answer.

How far away IS London, as far as perceptions, connections, and social stuff goes? I'm currently in a country where two hours of train ride is a jaunty neighbourhood stroll, but obviously, the perceptions are different in England.

Also, would somebody post me a semi-detailed breakdown of heir monthly speding? Food, entertainment, savings, etc? I'm trying to budget.
Reply 987

I agree with the views of the others posted here (just for another opinion).

I have studied here for four years and want to continues to live here indefinitely.

Whenever anyone asks me to describe Norwich I always say "It's got everything you could want in terms of shops (except Ikea), culture, history, green space, restaurants and entertainment, but it's small enough to walk from the centre to the edge in a decent time".

I would compare it to Cambridge in lots of ways, except that any time I want to walk anywhere in Cambridge it seems to take HOURS whereas in Norwich everything is close, yet there is still lots of it. I live in the city centre and often just pop to town to do lots of good (window) shopping. I love just being in the city, there are so many nice places to walk or relax. I also love to pop to the castle or to campus and just enjoy them! Or walk around figuring out how the old streets linked up and what was where. As someone who likes reading books such as 'Norwich Murders and Misdemeanors' it's a very interesting city as so much of old Norwich is still there, yet at the same time it's very modern in its feel.

It's just got such a great atmosphere!!! I feel at home, welcome, part of the community. The city and the uni match in their ethos... 'Do different.' and that pretty much sums it up!

Having said this I would also agree that a visit is vital. I'll also note that unlike jelly I'm from a small town.

There used to be a club called Spencer's which had a basement metal club, but it was a bit of a dump lol... my friend once walked through a table, knocking it an all it's contents everywhere, and the barman just handed him a bar towel. I'm sure you'd be able to find plenty of gigs to suit your tastes though, if not that many clubs - there's a great arts scene with poetry, art, small local acts performing etc.

xxx
Thanks for the answer.

How far away IS London, as far as perceptions, connections, and social stuff goes? I'm currently in a country where two hours of train ride is a jaunty neighbourhood stroll, but obviously, the perceptions are different in England.

Also, would somebody post me a semi-detailed breakdown of heir monthly speding? Food, entertainment, savings, etc? I'm trying to budget.

It's seen as reasonably far away. It's certainly not somewhere people go on weekends but culturally its the same.

And as for spending, food £60-80pm, could be cut down though if you bought less meat, went to Aldi or the Co-op or bought in bulk. And as far as entertainment goes that depends on where you go out and how often. In terms of a night out its around £7 each way for a taxi to/from the city centre, so only a couple of quid with a few of you. Buses run late so you can certainly get one to the city centre at 11/12 o'clock if not on the way back. A bus pass is around £210 for the year I believe. Nightclub entrance obviously varies as to where you go and at what time. Average though is around £3, look out for the guest lists on facebook.
Reply 989
Thanks for the answer.

No worries :smile:

Physically, it's about an hour and a half by train to London with trains leaving every half-hour (there are also a direct train to stopping at Nottingham, Manchester and Liverpool). The coast is also quite close by which is a big plus.

Culturally, Norwich (to me at least) feels very different to London. Obviously Norwich is considerably smaller so it lacks the scale of variety found in London and depth of diversity. Though on the flip side of the coin, Norwich is far more friendlier and safer, and I've never felt as though I'm missing out by not living in a huge city - Norwich still manages to offer variety for all despite its smaller size.

Your budget will really depend on your interests, but it's quite easy to shop and live cheaply in most parts of the City. It's worth noting though that Norwich is considerably cheaper in terms of living costs than London and other large UK cities.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm looking for a gym in Norwich that has a good free weights section. None seem to have this. Don't plan on going to the Sportspark, unless they plan on getting a squat rack next year?
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
I'm looking for a gym in Norwich that has a good free weights section. None seem to have this. Don't plan on going to the Sportspark, unless they plan on getting a squat rack next year?

http://www.thegymgroup.com/find-a-gym/gym/the-gym-norwich/

This one has a good rep and a reasonable fee. It's near Jarrold's department store.
Hi everyone! I'm going to be at UEA as an exchange student from the U.S. for the Fall 2013 semester. I got placed in the Mary Chapman Court residence - any advice/tips? Also, what besides clothing and my laptop should I bring with me? I also want to travel to Scotland, Ireland, France, and a few other places - what's the cheapest way to go about this? Any and all advice about the UK, Norwich, and UEA is greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 993
Original post by salvatoregirl26
Hi everyone! I'm going to be at UEA as an exchange student from the U.S. for the Fall 2013 semester. I got placed in the Mary Chapman Court residence - any advice/tips? Also, what besides clothing and my laptop should I bring with me? I also want to travel to Scotland, Ireland, France, and a few other places - what's the cheapest way to go about this? Any and all advice about the UK, Norwich, and UEA is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to UEA! I hope you have a great time over here.

Mary Chapman Court is the only UEA residence that isn't actually located on the main UEA campus - it's about three miles away in the heart of Norwich City Centre. Whilst you'll have to either get the bus or cycle/walk in for classes, you do get the benefit of living right in the middle of Norwich with all the main attractions within easy walking distance.

Clothing wise, if you're coming over for the Autumn semester, then it'll be a good idea to bring a collection of jumpers, coats and an umbrella as it can get quite chilly as Winter sets in. Having said that though, do bring some fair-weather clothing as there's no guarantee of exactly when Summer will eventually end and the weather can be quite changeable.

Other than clothing and your computer though, there isn't really anything specific that you'll necessarily need to bring for university. If you're travelling though, it might be a good idea to bring a smaller and more compact suitcase to make it easier to get around. You can easily buy pens, books and other stationary over here cheaply, but you might want to get these things beforehand in case you run out of time to settle in before class begins. Any other items that UEA will require should be specified in their correspondence to you - as an international student, this will may possibly involve ID and health reports though nothing too big I imagine.

As for your travelling plans, there are lots of ways to explore the country and beyond quite without spending too much money. Stansted Airport isn't far from Norwich by either train or coach and you can get cheap flights to lots of nearby destinations if you book in advance. You can get direct trains from Norwich to London, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool, and then you can get trains from these places to Scotland and to France/Belgium. There's also National Express and Megabus (coach companies) which offer relatively cheap tickets around the UK if you book early. The International Student Society at UEA also have group tours at weekends and the holidays to destinations around the UK which might also be worth looking into. On the whole though, the best advice is to plan early and book early as this will save you quite a large amount of money.

As for other advice about the UK, Norwich and UEA, I can't really think of anything specifically that you should know, other than that we're all really friendly (though slightly less friendly on deadline weeks!) and I'm sure you'll have an awesome time other here. Hope that helps and please feel free to ask more questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To add to Eloquai's excellent post, you will need cutlery, crockery and towels and bedding in halls as these aren't automatically supplied. UEA offer the chance to purchase supplies through them and then they are there when you move in. This page on the UEA website explains exactly what you need & I believe there a link to the goods UEA sell
http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/living-in-uea-residences/what-to-pack

However these packages can often work out more expensive than buying yourself and there are plenty of stores in Norwich where you can purchase both- Wilkinsons and supermarkets e.g. Morrisons, Tesco e.c.t are good places to start plus Dunelm Mill (they do towels and bedding)
Reply 995
I have a few questions, if they have been answered before then I apologize.

Firstly, is there some way I can view a list of all the clubs and societies in UAE?

Secondly, how are the internet speeds in the Ziggurats? (if anyone currently living there could complete this it would be much appreciated http://www.speedtest.net/)

And lastly, if you are applying for shared accommodation, how are you matched with your roommate? Is it completely random?
Reply 996
Original post by Ptosh
I have a few questions, if they have been answered before then I apologize.

Firstly, is there some way I can view a list of all the clubs and societies in UAE?

Secondly, how are the internet speeds in the Ziggurats? (if anyone currently living there could complete this it would be much appreciated http://www.speedtest.net/)

And lastly, if you are applying for shared accommodation, how are you matched with your roommate? Is it completely random?

Here are all the clubs and societies - click on each category to see the clubs and societies in it :smile:
http://ueastudent.com/socweb2

The internet speeds in all the accommodations are alright - if you can find the speed in any of them it should be similar, except maybe Mary Chapman. I say this because most students have left for the summer so you might not be able to find someone to test in the ziggurats but might find them in another accommodation.

If you mean a twin bedroom in the ziggurats, it is random but same sex I believe (not 100% on this). Alternatively you can request to be placed with someone you know, as long as they are also eligible and you BOTH request it.

If you just mean in flats in general, placement is mostly random but they do try to put people from different courses together to allow you to meet more people and avoid clashes in bathroom/kitchen use etc. I think they also tend to group medical/nursing students together (so maybe 2 in a flat and mostly in certain buildings) due to longer accommodation contracts, so you aren't left on your own in the summer! But there will still be people from other courses as well.

xxx
Reply 997
Original post by kpwxx
Here are all the clubs and societies - click on each category to see the clubs and societies in it :smile:
http://ueastudent.com/socweb2

The internet speeds in all the accommodations are alright - if you can find the speed in any of them it should be similar, except maybe Mary Chapman. I say this because most students have left for the summer so you might not be able to find someone to test in the ziggurats but might find them in another accommodation.

If you mean a twin bedroom in the ziggurats, it is random but same sex I believe (not 100% on this). Alternatively you can request to be placed with someone you know, as long as they are also eligible and you BOTH request it.

If you just mean in flats in general, placement is mostly random but they do try to put people from different courses together to allow you to meet more people and avoid clashes in bathroom/kitchen use etc. I think they also tend to group medical/nursing students together (so maybe 2 in a flat and mostly in certain buildings) due to longer accommodation contracts, so you aren't left on your own in the summer! But there will still be people from other courses as well.

xxx

That is a glorious amount of societies.
Thank you very much, all information was found to be useful.

=)
Reply 998
Hey guys, I have a couple of question about the city of Norwich, since I'm coming with my parents a couple of days before my actual moving in the campus (they want to see the city where I'm going to move :biggrin:) Can you help me?
We were thinking about renting a car and come from Stansted in London to Norwich but first of all: is it easy to go around by car?
and second important question: do you know any cheap accomodation around? I' ve noticed there are a couple of hostels but far away from the city centre! can you help me?
Obviously any advice about what to visit is more than welcome, thanx a lot!

Scotland will be best accessed by train and bus, France and Ireland will be better to go by plane.

I'm coming to UEA from Ireland, without a doubt the best way for me to get there is to fly to Stansted or Luton, I live in NI though so I will be going from Belfast. Easyjet is probably the best budget airline and they go to Belfast > Standsted/Luton/Gatwick for £25-£45 one way (I wouldn't bother paying over £45, just pick different dates and book well in advance, however this is without the baggage charge if you want to bring a checked in bag.

Ryanair is the cheapest and then you have the option of flying to Dublin, however this company is full of ignorant *******s who will treat you like a piece of dog crap on their shoe, and that is best case scenario. If something goes wrong like your carry on bag is too large or something like that, expect to pay through the teeth with this company. From personal experience they are scum and should be avoided at all costs.
http://www.ihateryanair.org/

[video="youtube;OISGykO6Z7U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISGykO6Z7U[/video]

If you want to see more of England, train to Liverpool or Manchester is a good idea and then take a plane from there. Same with France except you could take the eurotunnel from southern England somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending