The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if you can go to the Tuesday LCR nights not wearing fancy dress?

I know tomorrow's theme is emergency services but i don't have anything to wear that fits that description and i don't really want to spend any money buying anything.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 141
Original post by Heyyouthere
Does anyone know if you can go to the Tuesday LCR nights not wearing fancy dress?

I know tomorrow's theme is emergency services but i don't have anything to wear that fits that description and i don't really want to spend any money buying anything.

Yeah, there's always a few people in there in either really, really rubbish costumes or just normal clothes :biggrin: The only one you have to dress up for is School Daze, and even then just a white shirt will do.
Original post by BethanW
Yeah, there's always a few people in there in either really, really rubbish costumes or just normal clothes :biggrin: The only one you have to dress up for is School Daze, and even then just a white shirt will do.

Haha well that's ok then, i decided to go and get a white shirt and some silly string so that should be enough.
Reply 143
Original post by BethanW
It's generally regarded as being pretty good - if you wanted to go out every night you defintely could. The club on campus, the LCR, is silly but lots of fun and cheap and a good night out if you just go with it. In town there's the main clubbing road Prince of Wales, which has loads and loads of bars all trying to pull you in with drinks deals and what not.

The main clubs are Lola Lo's, which is home to the Fat Poppadaddy's club night, Knowhere, which is home to POW! and Project, which is an absoutly huge new redevelopment down at the Riverside with loads and loads of different areas and rooms, which has Propaganda on a Friday night. There used to be another superclub called Mercy, but that closed down when Project opened. It's currently being refurbed, so it should be open by the time you get here. It was a bit of a hole, though...

Norwich also has loads of really great independant pubs and bars if you fancy something a bit different.

If you're used to clubbing in really big cities like London or Manchester you might find it a bit smaller and less exciting, but it's still a pretty good night out.

I'm a current Yr 13 6th form student, I am very intregued by one of the courses at East Anglia: however the nightlife situation seems dire from other threads, I hope it really is as good as you say.

Simply tho, with the campus being outside Norwich, how do you get into town generally for food etc. And also how does a student get back to housing from Lola Lo's and Project for example??
Original post by D.Thomp

Original post by D.Thomp
I'm a current Yr 13 6th form student, I am very intregued by one of the courses at East Anglia: however the nightlife situation seems dire from other threads, I hope it really is as good as you say.

Simply tho, with the campus being outside Norwich, how do you get into town generally for food etc. And also how does a student get back to housing from Lola Lo's and Project for example??

The nightlife is what you make of it. There are more than enough clubs/pubs for you to have a good night should you choose to do so.

And bus and taxi, the same as anywhere :dontknow:
Original post by D.Thomp

There is a bus that goes directly from campus to town, one of the last stops being near a big Morrisons. Most of us get it delivered from Tesco or Asda though, its easier.
Original post by D.Thomp

I'm from London and I haven't had a problem with the nightlife here, it is what you make of it. Plus it's so cheap!

You can get a bus into town if you want a big supermarket (You can get to Morrisons by the 35/25), or if you need to top up things there is a Tescos just outside of the campus about a 5/10min walk, as well as the shop on campus UFO. Then there's always the option of ordering online, I see at least a Tesco or ASDA van daily in the village.
To get back from Project you literally cross the road and go into the station forecourt and catch the bus back to the uni. You can get the bus back too for Lola Lo's, or taxi if its cheaper if youre in a group.
Norwich works like any other city.
fail forgot to ask my question.

How exactly do you get to the Waterfront? The only time I've been there was when they shuttled us there and back during freshers. Do you get the bus to the station/riverside area and is it near there or is it closer to like the prince of wales road/clubby area? (lol the only times Ive been into town are for project/morrisons/station!)
Original post by makingamemory

How exactly do you get to the Waterfront? The only time I've been there was when they shuttled us there and back during freshers. Do you get the bus to the station/riverside area and is it near there or is it closer to like the prince of wales road/clubby area? (lol the only times Ive been into town are for project/morrisons/station!)

From what I remember of freshers its not near either of those areas- it seemed to be the other side of town- the bus went into town and out the other side. Maybe a 2nd year can correct me on that.

According to Google Maps (I've never been) you get the 25 or 35 to Prince of Wales Road or St Stephen's Street and walk the rest :dontknow:
Original post by jelly1000
From what I remember of freshers its not near either of those areas- it seemed to be the other side of town- the bus went into town and out the other side. Maybe a 2nd year can correct me on that.

I know what you mean it got to the roundabout where wilkos/iceland is and then went down a different exit from what the busses take(although I now know where Sainsburys is) But I'm pretty sure its near the station area because it was right near the river/ I saw Morrisons on the way.
Thanks though :smile:

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
According to Google Maps (I've never been) you get the 25 or 35 to Prince of Wales Road or St Stephen's Street and walk the rest :dontknow:

Ahh thanks :smile: That's what the First journey planner told me too but I wasn't sure if there was a known short cut or something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 151
I'm from London and I haven't had a problem with the nightlife here, it is what you make of it. Plus it's so cheap!

You can get a bus into town if you want a big supermarket (You can get to Morrisons by the 35/25), or if you need to top up things there is a Tescos just outside of the campus about a 5/10min walk, as well as the shop on campus UFO. Then there's always the option of ordering online, I see at least a Tesco or ASDA van daily in the village.
To get back from Project you literally cross the road and go into the station forecourt and catch the bus back to the uni. You can get the bus back too for Lola Lo's, or taxi if its cheaper if youre in a group.
Norwich works like any other city.

Thank you very much:smile: very helpful: just to clarify, the buses do run through the night? just they don't here you do.
do a lot of students invest in bus passes?
Original post by D.Thomp

Original post by D.Thomp
Thank you very much:smile: very helpful: just to clarify, the buses do run through the night? just they don't here you do.

Every hour until 3 I think? And then they start up pretty early as well. Check out the bus timetables; First company 25/35

And if you live off campus I'd get one, if you don't then I honestly wouldn't bother.
Reply 153
Every hour until 3 I think? And then they start up pretty early as well. Check out the bus timetables; First company 25/35

And if you live off campus I'd get one, if you don't then I honestly wouldn't bother.

ahh, thats great:smile:

is the general teaching environment good? I don't suppose you know anyone studying Economics who'd be able to tell me about the department? I'm from manchester so its quite a way to travel for an open day!
Original post by D.Thomp

They sort of do- after about 2am they are only around once an hour, but a taxi divided amongst 4 or 5 of you shouldn't be too much. And I'm the only one in my flat without a bus pass at the moment (as I haven't been able to get a photo)

They sort of do- after about 2am they are only around once an hour, but a taxi divided amongst 4 or 5 of you shouldn't be too much. And I'm the only one in my flat without a bus pass at the moment (as I haven't been able to get a photo)

There's a photo machine in the hive. And on the street too :yep:

Although I still maintain that first years do not need bus passes.
There's a photo machine in the hive. And on the street too :yep:

Although I still maintain that first years do not need bus passes.

The one on the street was out of order when I wanted to use it and since its been fixed I've not been able to sit still long enough without coughing. Never noticed the one in the hive. And yeah, I've been debating if I really need one. I don't think I do, its just annoying cos flatmates all have one so they won't get taxis on nights out, so I have to keep spending the best part of a fiver to get there and back.
Reply 157
Original post by D.Thomp
ahh, thats great:smile:

is the general teaching environment good? I don't suppose you know anyone studying Economics who'd be able to tell me about the department? I'm from manchester so its quite a way to travel for an open day!

I know people who've studied economics and enjoyed it! That's about as much as I know lol. I did take one ECO module as my free choice last year and really really enjoyed it, though I think it was quite an 'easy' module because it was designed so media students could take it too.

As for teaching in general it's pretty good. There are ample opportunities to make your opinions and ideas known through committees etc. Of course a lot of it depends on the lecturer you get but generally UEA has some pretty good ones, and it's rare to find someone who isn't willing to help you if you ask even if their teaching style isn't your cup of tea.

Oh and look what I just found!

http://www.uea.ac.uk/eco/ecovopenday/ugvday

xxx

The one on the street was out of order when I wanted to use it and since its been fixed I've not been able to sit still long enough without coughing. Never noticed the one in the hive. And yeah, I've been debating if I really need one. I don't think I do, its just annoying cos flatmates all have one so they won't get taxis on nights out, so I have to keep spending the best part of a fiver to get there and back.

Ahhh see none of my flatmates had bus passes, so it was taxis all the way! Do you go out more than twice a week? And tbh, nights out will probably tail off somewhat as you settle in to the course.
Ahhh see none of my flatmates had bus passes, so it was taxis all the way! Do you go out more than twice a week? And tbh, nights out will probably tail off somewhat as you settle in to the course.

I haven't so far. And our nights out seem to have tailed off a lot already even though my flat are the sort of people who would normally go clubbing :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending