The Student Room Group

Returning to education after dropping out and a long hiatus

Don't really know if this is where this thread belongs :s

Hi, new member here looking for some advice. Wondering if anybody would share their experiences of looking for higher education courses after having dropped out; how easy it was to find another course, how you went about setting up finances again etc. Been out of the loop for two years now and I'm ready to get back to education after dropping out the first time, but it's still intimidating the second time round, even more so than the first in fact. Any help would be appreciated from those that have been through this thing again!

I suppose a little context to my situation wouldn't hurt either. I was a Scottish student studying at Napier in 2007, and I was enrolled while my mother was fighting cancer. Unfortunately she passed away during the early days of my first semester, and well, I'm sure you can guess how it went from there. I dropped out because my head was a mess basically, and I felt unless I could perform to the best of my ability (which there was really no chance of) then I had no real reason to be there. Finally, three years on I feel like I'm ready to get back to it and away from the relative drudgery of working life into something that's going to be rewarding for me. As I said before, any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, especially considering the financial situation. Even if I could glean one anecdote from somebody concerning their experiences it would be more than a help. Thanks people~
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
You MUST come back. I think, your mother would be proud, if you would achieve something special and important in your life. Don't stop and go forward. Best wishes!!!
Reply 2
Thanks for the kind words.

Still, does anybody else have any other input? Anybody that been through reapplying for university and knows what obstacles, pitfalls, roadblocks they personally felt they had to overcome is welcome to share their thoughts.
Have you thought about the Open University? You could continue working, and they have very good finance options available... plus you'd have a lot of support in the return to learning.
Reply 4
I have considered the OU, but for me that would be further down the list of options. Part of the reason I want to go back is for the experience of meeting new people (the same as most people going to uni), all the social aspects since I missed out on them first time round as well. With distance learning you're really not going to get that. Plus, I really need to get out this small town I live in and its cloying, stifling atmosphere. I feel the need to expand myself as a person as well as academically, and I don't feel I'd really get that with the distance learning of the OU. If anything, that option would be further towards the "last resort" side if all my other plans don't come off. Thanks for the thoughts anyway, much appreciated. Anybody else got any input then?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending