The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

University of Southampton versus Southampton Solent University

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As everyone has suggested, Southampton has a good reputation whilst Solent, whether it deserves one or not, has a pretty terrible reputation.

Southampton's generally good at pretty much everything it does, particularly Engineering, and Solent's much better at a few subjects than its general reputation suggests. However, these few subjects are generally dominated by other universities. For example, Solent's alright at Media whereas Bournemouth dominates it.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Lol the guy from Solent is banned now
Reply 22
Lol I met a guy from Solent on a night out a few weeks ago and he was doing some Watersports course, even he laughed at it.

And I was at Bliss on Monday night and a Radio 1Xtra DJ was there and he didn't know who Solent were :rofl:
Reply 23
Lived in Southampton for years so ill tell you how it is.

Southampton uni students are bitter rich kids who were too stupid to get into a top10 uni so they fall back to the Uni rankings to try and justify why they chose this Uni when the truth is they couldnt get the one they wanted, they reside in 'Highfield' which is basically a road inbetween Basset (crap) and Portswood (boring except for the hobbit which is the best pub i think ive ever been in and Dungeon which is a good laugh) and whinge.

Original post by mfaxford
Wow, very compelling argument there.

In terms of traditional Uni Courses then UoS is much better. If you want something more vocational or just an easy ride then go to Solent (There was a BBC report a couple of years ago showing Solent passing students because it was easier and looked better even though the students ability didn't warrant a pass)

In terms of some vocations there are some opportunities at UoS through the Student Union (Cinema, nightclub, news paper, tv station, radio station, film making). And people have gone on from those SU societies into real careers.

Like this.

Solent students are no hopers (except for the few that do courses the uni did when it was a college as they still have good teachers) who dont care about uni, sing chants and drink far too much as they are close to town and piss off local residents in the Polygon by kicking over bins and stealing signs.

Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere
yeah id rather be at solent then a **** like u mate

like this

Both unis are rubbish and the city is rubbish. Go Bristol, London, Falmouth, Cardiff or Edinburgh IMO.
basically, solent is the uni where you go if you want to **** around and southampton uni is the one where you go if you wanna do proper work :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by readingr
Please don't group Southampton students in with Solent. Its really degrading for us...

You're hardly at Cambridge yourselves.
Reply 26
Original post by zalalo

That doesn't mean it's not degrading for something good to be considered the same as something bad
Reply 27
Original post by zalalo

Cambridge is 1st in the UK for my subject. Southampton is joint equal 2nd. So yes, technically I am not at Cambridge but it's the perfect uni for me as there's little difference in position & I get a life :smile:

Despite your inaccurate information I can say that because, well, its true. It is degrading for us in the same way as Oxford students being grouped in with Oxford Brooks. Although, Brooks isn't actually anywhere near as bad as Solent, the principle still remains.
Reply 28
Original post by EggmanD
Lived in Southampton for years so ill tell you how it is.

Southampton uni students are bitter rich kids who were too stupid to get into a top10 uni so they fall back to the Uni rankings to try and justify why they chose this Uni when the truth is they couldnt get the one they wanted, they reside in 'Highfield' which is basically a road inbetween Basset (crap) and Portswood (boring except for the hobbit which is the best pub i think ive ever been in and Dungeon which is a good laugh) and whinge.

Solent students are no hopers (except for the few that do courses the uni did when it was a college as they still have good teachers) who dont care about uni, sing chants and drink far too much as they are close to town and piss off local residents in the Polygon by kicking over bins and stealing signs.

Both unis are rubbish and the city is rubbish. Go Bristol, London, Falmouth, Cardiff or Edinburgh IMO.

Original post by Vasteye

Made me ****ing lol - sitting here in my swish UoS computing labs :biggrin:.

EggmanD: Couldnt get into a top 10 uni? Eeerm I was accepted at York but chose Southampton thanks. You sound pretty bitter - probably because you were too thick yourself to ever think about uni.

Grow up.
Original post by adamscybot
Made me ****ing lol - sitting here in my swish UoS computing labs :biggrin:.

EggmanD: Couldnt get into a top 10 uni? Eeerm I was accepted at York but chose Southampton thanks. You sound pretty bitter - probably because you were too thick yourself to ever think about uni.

Grow up.

Just thought I'd add that I'm also doing comp sci at UoS, and I got an offer at Imperial but I came here instead because the course and facilities were far superior, with similar job prospects at the end of it.
Reply 31
Original post by adamscybot

Grow up.

Im not talking about me, im talking about you silly buns. I cant be bothered to properly reply to such a sniveling and arrogant post, BUT, i lived in Southampton NOT as a student as a normal person for five years, i saw the best and worst of both student worlds and their isn't anything i didn't see anywhere else except the lack of everything that makes a city.

Original post by robelopethy
Just thought I'd add that I'm also doing comp sci at UoS, and I got an offer at Imperial but I came here instead because the course and facilities were far superior, with similar job prospects at the end of it.

just lol.
In answer to the post, they are two different universities.

There are so many people here who jerk off over league tables as if they're the be all and end all.
Original post by EggmanD
just lol.

Sorry what?
Reply 34
Original post by robelopethy
Sorry what?

Another UoS student talking about facilities and degree tables.. keep up! haha. Always an almost automatic response when they talk about the academic side of uni IMO and something i have never seen in other Cities with multiple universities.
I call troll... Glen Eyre is at Southampton.

Damn should have quoted him, I look like a goon now XD
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The Boney King of Nowhere
yeah id rather be at solent then a **** like u mate

Can someone please ban this obvious Solent student?
Southampton uni and solent are totally different and basically hate each other as usual when theres 2 unis in 1 city.

I go to solent :smile:
And i don't just study something like media or a watersports course... I do Accounting, i'm only in my first year but I really like it, the campus is near town, the people at uni are really nice and the teaching is good.

Don't take league tables as the only thing you look at as if you get a good degree and work hard you should still have good job prospects wherever you are :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by mfaxford
Wow, very compelling argument there.

In terms of traditional Uni Courses then UoS is much better. If you want something more vocational or just an easy ride then go to Solent

I wouldn't say that.
I'm not at either of these Universities, and don't doubt for a second that UoS is academically stronger by quite some distance.

But I mean, if say an Art & Design student wanted to study in Southampton, Solent is their only option. And despite what some of the more academic students opinions are on Art & Design students, they aren't doing it for an "easy ride", there's a hell of a lot of work involved, and you've obviously got to be talented.
lol solent is for loosers hu want a doss so study a micky mouse degree dey pay all dat money for a worthless degree..its tragic really...southampton is the place to be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending