The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Re-sit your GCSEs, GNVQ really isn't that well regarded.

Edit: I think this thread may be in the wrong forum (depending on what you're asking). :smile:
Reply 2
well, I want to get onto a course with ILEX but to do so I need 4 GCSE's C or above. The alternative is to get a GNVQ Intermediate or Advanced level, provided a communication skills element is included. I want to spend the shortest amount of time to get what I need as the ILEX course is for 4 years. Just wondered what would be the best option for me?
Reply 3
The GCSE's will be far better than a GNVQ! Some colleges let you do the GCSE's in a year, so no matter how many you take it will only take you a year to get them. So go for as many you can!
Reply 4
I was thinking about taking as many as I can,

The plus side being that I have more chance of getting the four grades I want.

The down side is that I have less time to spend on studying each subject
Reply 5
Yea, but normally 15/16 year olds study about 11 subjects eventhough over 2 years and still spend enough time on each subject to get passes in them all, it just depends how dedicated you are! Does your college have a website with information on GCSE's on it?

You should phone them tomorrow! That way you could start this academic year as you wouldn't be too far behind.
Reply 6
I am going there tomorrow. I will try to speak with some sort of adviser to find out what is best for me. Also not too sure how it works with paying for it, would it be part time etc etc. I will hopefully find all this out tomorrow.

I think this is the college I need to go to - http://www.southend.ac.uk/highereducation/
Reply 7
It might be just me being blind, but I see no GCSE's on there?:confused:
Reply 8
If you do an Alevel via distance learning you dont need GCSE's, have you thought whilst doing your GCSE's doing the Law Alevel instead of the Law GSCE? That way you gain a better knowledge and then at least you have an Alevel as well?
Reply 9
Im not 100% sure thats the right college. There's three in my area, I may need to go to the adult college. hopefully I will find that out tomorrow aswell :redface:
Reply 10
If you do an Alevel via distance learning you dont need GCSE's, have you thought whilst doing your GCSE's doing the Law Alevel instead of the Law GSCE? That way you gain a better knowledge and then at least you have an Alevel as well?

Ok, now you've lost me. What an Alevel? If you see this page, it says what I need to qualify - http://www.ilex.org.uk/howto_qualify/default.asp
Reply 11
lawwannabe
Ok, now you've lost me. What an Alevel? If you see this page, it says what I need to qualify - http://www.ilex.org.uk/howto_qualify/default.asp

You dont know what an A Level is?
Reply 12
oh sorry, I didnt realise it said A level. :redface:

Wouldnt I need gcse's to get onto a course for an A level?
Reply 13
Ah ok!

At a college you will, but if you do it via distance learning all they require is you have good english!
Reply 14
what do you mean by "good english". Grades wise or knowledge?

Excuse my ignorance but how does 'Distance Learning' work?
Reply 15
Knowledge, basically they just need you to be able to read and write! Many distance learning websites' have their entry requirements something along the lines of "Basic English reading and writing skills, as full tutor support is given"

There's two ways to do distance learning (that I know of). Anyway the first would require you to buy a course from an association, they will send you the matierials etc. and you get access to a tutor, you then complete TMA's Tutor Marked Assignments throughout the year preparing your for the exams etc. Basically you are teaching yourself.

The second method is to just email an exam board and ask them for 'Private Candidate' Information and they should send you something (AQA are sending me a handbook) You then buy textbooks, resources and teach yourself the syllabus and then go to an exam centre (school) and ask them if they will register you as a private candidate, you will have to pay exam fees.

Check the Exam boards websites and the A Level forum on TSR, there's plenty of helpful information.

Sites which sell A Levels are:
www.nec.ac.uk
www.uk-open-learning.com this is the cheapest one i've found.
Reply 16
Sounds confusing, but im sure it is not. Are the grades they give credited by the proper associations? I assume I can do these courses at a college if I wanted to, do you think it would be cheaper by 'distance learning'?
Reply 17
Its just like doing an a level at a college but you teach yourself. The grades are exactly the same as any other a level, you are using an exam board like aqa.

Check out those websites it might help you, the nec seems to give more information regarding it.

You could do them at college but you would have to wait until you have gcse's it would be quicker via distance learning.
Reply 18
so why do colleges need gcse's but distance learning doesnt? The ILEX course I want to do has an option for distance learning, would this work the same? If it did, then maybe I wouldnt need an A level?
Reply 19
lawwannabe
so why do colleges need gcse's but distance learning doesnt? The ILEX course I want to do has an option for distance learning, would this work the same? If it did, then maybe I wouldnt need an A level?

I dont know why? Maybe someone could answer that one? But probably because your working at your own pace and not in a classroom environment.

I think you should still do an a level via distance learning and do the ILEX course normally.

Latest

Trending

Trending