The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Physics.

I managed 100% and 97% in my chem modules last year. Basically, all you need to do is remember specific pieces of information. You rarely need to apply any theory. It's easy!

As for physics, it becomes easy, only once you have your head around the theory, and it never becomes easy unless your maths is up to speed. It's harder than chemistry is because of the problem solving aspects. In chem, you mostly regurgitate, or apply basic "laws" and rarely quantify. With physics, you're constantly applying theory and maths to solve problems. It's definitely harder, but also more fun!

I didn't do biology. I walked it at GCSE and it wasn't really my thing. From what I've seen of the textbook, and from the overlap with chemistry A level, it is easy-peasy. Rather than talking about enzymes and catalyasis in terms of molecular bonds, bond enthalpies/activation enthalpies etc. Biologists only go as far as saying "the reactant fits into the enzyme, like a lock fits into a key, hence it catalyses the reaction". Not a word of an explanation! Biology isn't a real science, and has more regurgitation than chemistry.

In my opinion it is as follows, from hardest to easiest:

physics>chemistry>biology

Although I am applying for a physics degree, so I may be biased!
geeeks_93
Chemistry is the hardest as it is a combination of the skills you need for biology and physics. This is because you have to be able to visualise what is happening, like in Physics, as well as memorising lots of information, like you need to do in Biology.

Saying that I don't study Physics so I can't be completely sure!

I study all three and you are right.

Its not enough to just memorise the concepts in chemistry and despite thinking you get it...the examples given are pretty hard to link to the concepts.

The concepts in physics are tough to understand but once understood, they can pretty much be applied to anything.
Reply 22
For me it's biol at A-level, not so much because of the subject content, just because the exams and examiners are so pedantic, to the extent that if you say the same thing, but don't use the right word, you get nul points.

For me, the easiest is chem, just because it makes sense in my head (but given that I've got a degree in it, that's to be expected), but I know that not everyone is the same.
Biology for me.
Reply 24
Chemistry not because the subject itself is more difficult than physics as i find physics more diffcult than chemistry outside of exams but for a level the papers for chemistry are way harder
Reply 25
This is SO OVERDONE!

:mad2:

Still - PHYSICS! :biggrin:
Reply 26
It's close between chem and physics, but probs physics
I'm finding Chemistry to be more difficult than Physics at Adv. Higher level

mostly because BrightRed have yet to publish their revision notes on it
Reply 28
wisenoodlebox
I'm finding Chemistry to be more difficult than Physics at Adv. Higher level

mostly because BrightRed have yet to publish their revision notes on it

Those things are sort of like falsified learning - you should get an A using your own notes and knowledge.

The bright red things are two simple and don't put you in a good mindset for continuing the subject.
Biology. I could do the others if I really tried but not bio...
It depends whether your more mathematically inclined, so are great with physics, or are more apt at remembering vast amounts of information, as required in biology.
chemistry !
Reply 32
Physics - Hardest
Chemistry
Biology - Least hardest.

They are all difficult in their own ways though. And I guess its down to each individual, personally I enjoy Biology the most, therefore I find it the least hardest. I hate physics and funnily enough I find it the hardest.

It comes down to what you least enjoy I would say.
Reply 33
OCR Physics B.

At least with all other science courses you actually are given some clue as what to do in exam...

In general terms I'd probabaly say Chemistry.
sandys1000
It depends whether your more mathematically inclined, so are great with physics, or are more apt at remembering vast amounts of information, as required in biology.

Ah, you beat me to it.

I like to work things out step by step logically, so I'm a mathematically inclined person. I worked my arse off for Biology and still ended up getting a lower grade than Physics, which I did almost no work for because I loath it.
So exam wise, it's Biology>Chemistry>Physics. Content wise it's the other way round.
Reply 35
Hate physics; biology is easy. Chemistry is my favourite :smile:
Physics if you don't do Maths & Mechanics as well, Chemistry otherwise.
Whoever voted Biology is a joker. And this comes from somone who wants to study Biololgy at uni.
CJN
Those things are sort of like falsified learning - you should get an A using your own notes and knowledge.

You're correct, that should and hopefully will be the case.

CJN

The bright red things are two simple and don't put you in a good mindset for continuing the subject.

We're using Heriot Watt Scholar booklets in our class, which are acknowledged by our teacher to only cover up to a C level understanding. Considering this is where almost all of my notes are coming from, I'll be happy about any bonus revision materials I can find - simplistic or not.
Reply 39
wisenoodlebox
You're correct, that should and hopefully will be the case.

We're using Heriot Watt Scholar booklets in our class, which are acknowledged by our teacher to only cover up to a C level understanding. Considering this is where almost all of my notes are coming from, I'll be happy about any bonus revision materials I can find - simplistic or not.

Really? What subject for? Since the scholar notes are definitely more comprehensive than the bright red books, even though they are really dull and boring.

Have you tried writing up your own notes?

Latest