The Student Room Group

Nursing interview at york uni?

I have just been asked to attend an interview at York uni on the 10th of November for their adult nursing degree programme; I just have a few questions about the interview and would appreciate if anyone could help :smile:
- What kinds of questions were asked?
-What does the maths and literacy test consist of?
-What kind of thing do people normally wear?

Thank you very much
:biggrin: x
Reply 1
Hi,

I've got an interview on the 10th of November too but for mental health nursing. I was sent a interview programme through the post. It gives examples of what the maths test will be like and a copy of the text that the literacy test will be based on.

The maths test is key stage 3 stuff, check out BBC bite size if you need to brush up on your maths skills. The literacy test consists of 4 questions and you get 25 mins to complete it, they're looking for at least 150 words. 3 questions will be based on the article they sent and the 4th will "asses your spelling, grammar, punctuation, handwriting and ability to structure a piece of writing" If you've been diagnosed with dyslexia then you'd need to bring your assessment report and they'll give you an extra 5 minutes. I would have thought that they'd send this info out to all applicants.

As for the clothes side of things, I'm going to dress smart, it is an interview after all, first impressions....
Hi, I had my interview at York last year.

They give you the tests at the beginning and it's as the above poster said. They're not that difficult and you can use a calculator for the maths. It's just basic stuff. The English test is a comprehension type thing and the hardest bit is getting all your answers down within the time allowed.

You then do a sort of a group discussion where you are given a scenario to discuss. Not sure how this is assessed but I think it was just to see how you get on in a group situation.

For the 1-2-1 interviews it's just general 'why do you want to be a nurse' questions then a few about diversity such as 'what do you understand this to mean', and about nursing in general such as 'give an example of what you think makes a good nurse'. They also chat a bit about your application and your background. It's very short.

In terms of what to wear, as before I think the above poster has it - dress smartly. I wore a trouser suit and everyone else there had their interview clothes on too.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by JanetB

Original post by JanetB
Hi,

I've got an interview on the 10th of November too but for mental health nursing. I was sent a interview programme through the post. It gives examples of what the maths test will be like and a copy of the text that the literacy test will be based on.

The maths test is key stage 3 stuff, check out BBC bite size if you need to brush up on your maths skills. The literacy test consists of 4 questions and you get 25 mins to complete it, they're looking for at least 150 words. 3 questions will be based on the article they sent and the 4th will "asses your spelling, grammar, punctuation, handwriting and ability to structure a piece of writing" If you've been diagnosed with dyslexia then you'd need to bring your assessment report and they'll give you an extra 5 minutes. I would have thought that they'd send this info out to all applicants.

As for the clothes side of things, I'm going to dress smart, it is an interview after all, first impressions....

yeahh i have got everything through the post too and downloaded lots of stuff of yorks website, im still really nervous though as this is my first interview, i think i am going to wear like black trousers or a smart high wasited skits with a blouse or smart top and comfy shoes :smile:
i also wonder who many of us will be there, i have heard its normally around 10 and that all the branches have there interviews together
Reply 4
Do you mean a key skills 3 test, as am sure key stage 3 is aimed at 11-14 year olds.

I have an interview this week but there was nothing in my pack to give guidelines as to what to expect at the interview but I have been revising and practicing questions so that I am ready for what ever they throw at me. Still very nervous though.

I hope you all did well in your interviews x

Quick Reply

Latest