The Student Room Group

Durham Medical School applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by sedhen

Original post by sedhen
I got interview by a man and a woman, they didn't say their names or who they were. I just remember the man was tall and had white hair, the woman was shorter and had brown hair.

They smiled a lot, all throughout the interview. So at the start it was comforting but towards the end I started to think they were doing it to comfort me while I was really doing something wrong but I don't know, I might just be paranoid. I remember the lady making a lot of notes all the time while I was talking, nonstop. Also at the end of the interview I remember I made a stupid joke about something and they laughed which was nice.

What do you think the most important part of the interview was, the personal bit or the ethical situations. I think it was the ethical situations thing since they spent more time on it, also I think I did better in the 2nd part than the first part, mainly because of nerves.

Was the guy you had like really tall. 6ft5 or somthing. I would say both are equally important, all the personal attributes are just seeing if you can handle a career of sustained pressure and how you would go about it. The ethical part is really just questionng your logic, how you reason, why you think an answer is that and just being firm with your answers but looking at it from as many angles as possible.

Most people will be EXTREMELY nervous and they're used to it so don't fret over nerves :biggrin:

EDIT: I so thought i wrote more than that :smile: I wonder if it's the same interviewers all the time, with the same questions and ethical scenarios.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by DrWannabe

Was the guy you had like really tall. 6ft5 or somthing. I would say both are equally important, all the personal attributes are just seeing if you can handle a career of sustained pressure and how you would go about it. The ethical part is really just questionng your logic, how you reason, why you think an answer is that and just being firm with your answers but looking at it from as many angles as possible.

Most people will be EXTREMELY nervous and they're used to it so don't fret over nerves :biggrin:

Yes the man was that tall, and I hope that I was the normal amount of nervous.

Also I think the personal bit was maybe about work experience too I remember that. That was good for me since I had relevant stuff to say there, also there weren't any awkward pauses which was good. I still liked the ethical part more just because it seemed more directed and relevant. I just reaaaaally hope for an offer, it looks so nice, the building and the lake and all of it. Have you seen the video on the website, they show a waterfall and stuff and it just looks brilliant. The people there were really friendly too and it just seems like a good place to be.

You sound like you had a good interview by the way, did anything stand out in yours? Also did you have the same tall man, I remember he had a really good voice too.
Reply 182
Original post by sedhen

Original post by sedhen
Yes the man was that tall, and I hope that I was the normal amount of nervous.

Also I think the personal bit was maybe about work experience too I remember that. That was good for me since I had relevant stuff to say there, also there weren't any awkward pauses which was good. I still liked the ethical part more just because it seemed more directed and relevant. I just reaaaaally hope for an offer, it looks so nice, the building and the lake and all of it. Have you seen the video on the website, they show a waterfall and stuff and it just looks brilliant. The people there were really friendly too and it just seems like a good place to be.

You sound like you had a good interview by the way, did anything stand out in yours? Also did you have the same tall man, I remember he had a really good voice too.

Hey, sorry about last night. TSR went down for maintainence or something so i couldn't reply. My interview went okay, nothing brilliant nothing bad. For one of my ethical scenarios i couldn't reason with myself at one point and though crap what am i going to do. I just blurted some stuff out and then they moved on :/

If you want specifics we'll have to move to PM. Can't be giving anyone an advantage :smile: Not much work experience stuff for me. I tried to link some stuff to it, but they weren't interested, possibly because i'm a graduate, maybe they wanted to know more about other things. It's hard to say without giving the game away. :biggrin:
Reply 183

Hey, sorry about last night. TSR went down for maintainence or something so i couldn't reply. My interview went okay, nothing brilliant nothing bad. For one of my ethical scenarios i couldn't reason with myself at one point and though crap what am i going to do. I just blurted some stuff out and then they moved on :/

If you want specifics we'll have to move to PM. Can't be giving anyone an advantage :smile: Not much work experience stuff for me. I tried to link some stuff to it, but they weren't interested, possibly because i'm a graduate, maybe they wanted to know more about other things. It's hard to say without giving the game away. :biggrin:

So did you like the area then?
Reply 184
Original post by sedhen

Original post by sedhen
So did you like the area then?

The campus itself is really modern. I didn't see much of the surrounding area, but i hear it's not the most afluent. But i know aswell as you, it's the people your with that create great experiences not the area you're in :smile:
Reply 185
Do the interviewers have your UCAS form? like do they ask you on your personal statement?
Reply 186
Original post by Majiqal
Do the interviewers have your UCAS form? like do they ask you on your personal statement?

No, they just wanted to waste your time by making you write a page personal statement.
Reply 187
Original post by Legit
No, they just wanted to waste your time by making you write a page personal statement.

Alright, no need for sarcasm. My interview at peninsula didnt use the PS so i was just asking if durham did.
Reply 188
Original post by Majiqal
Alright, no need for sarcasm. My interview at peninsula didnt use the PS so i was just asking if durham did.

It was such a stupid question, sorry :biggrin:
Peninsula do use PS, they just didn't bother with it in your interview.

Some people get asked 100% about personal statement during there interviews, others don't.
Reply 189
Original post by Legit

Some people get asked 100% about personal statement during there interviews, others don't.

It was a legit question, clearly you dont know **** lol :biggrin:

Peninsula dont use the PS, they told us that the interviewers dont have your UCAS form before they interviewed us. ( plus its also on their website).
Reply 190
Original post by Majiqal

Original post by Majiqal
It was a legit question, clearly you dont know **** lol :biggrin:

Peninsula dont use the PS, they told us that the interviewers dont have your UCAS form before they interviewed us. ( plus its also on their website).

Interviewers at Durham have 100% NOT seen you personal statement, all they know is your name. They described it to me as, we have a blank canvas, it's up to you to paint your picture for us :smile:
Reply 191
32 days until the 15th March. We're in the last stretch now guys, exciting times. :biggrin:

*I'm not saying the 15th is the date we find out, but it's the middle of March so we should work from there :smile:
Reply 192
Interviewers at Durham have 100% NOT seen you personal statement, all they know is your name. They described it to me as, we have a blank canvas, it's up to you to paint your picture for us :smile:

I can confirm this. All they know is your name and that you passed the UKCAT threshold. Hence the lengthy interview.
Reply 193
Original post by batdad

Original post by batdad
I can confirm this. All they know is your name and that you passed the UKCAT threshold. Hence the lengthy interview.

Did you go on the campus tour, see the halls? What do you think of it? I'm more inclined to go to John Snow after seeing them although it is a little further away :smile:

Providing i get an offer of course :smile:

Edit: Lenghty i know. 45 minutes i was in there, but it seemed like 10, the time absolutely flown by.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by Legit

Damn you really have no idea what you're talking about lol.

Majiqal, the Durham interviewers have NOT seen your UCAS form and know nothing about you pre-interview.
Reply 195
Did you go on the campus tour, see the halls? What do you think of it? I'm more inclined to go to John Snow after seeing them although it is a little further away :smile:

Providing i get an offer of course :smile:

Edit: Lenghty i know. 45 minutes i was in there, but it seemed like 10, the time absolutely flown by.

I didn't mate no. I understand that its basically a toss up between living a bit closer to campus and further from shops/pubs and vice versa. Speaking to my friend (5th year medic in John Snow) he reckons that there isn't a great deal of difference between them, so I wouldnt stress on it too much.
Reply 196
Waiting seems to be everlasting! Being interviewed back in November sounded such a great idea at the time and every month after that has been suffering lol How many people are considering Durham their first choice assuming we get offers? I couldnt see many asians there either - any asians on here who've applied there?
Reply 197
Original post by batdad

Original post by batdad
I didn't mate no. I understand that its basically a toss up between living a bit closer to campus and further from shops/pubs and vice versa. Speaking to my friend (5th year medic in John Snow) he reckons that there isn't a great deal of difference between them, so I wouldnt stress on it too much.

No there isn't much difference between them, something just felt better at JS. 5th year medic in JS, hoe does that work?

Edit; Also i've spent the best part of 7 hours trawling through old Durham threads, and worked myself up into ultimate excitement. I really want to get in here :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 198
Original post by Hyperbole08

Waiting seems to be everlasting! Being interviewed back in November sounded such a great idea at the time and every month after that has been suffering lol How many people are considering Durham their first choice assuming we get offers? I couldnt see many asians there either - any asians on here who've applied there?

I was interviewed in early jan and I thought the wait was a long time, I can't imagine how annoying it would be to be interviewed in novemeber. I think it will be my first choice, the course looked very good, I just hope I haven't messed up my interview too much

Almost definately would be my first choice, if I got in (please Durham, please :biggrin:)

Not too long left anyway, about 4-5 weeks, I finish my HCAing in 5 weeks. I was happy with the way the interview went, but you never know. It would be devastating to wait so long only to get a rejection!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending