The Student Room Group

Applying to mid-universities with high predictions

Is applying to mid universities with rather high-ish predictions a good idea? Point is, I'm applying to one high university and the rest mid/low ones. I did okay at AS, hence the high-ish predictions, but am finding A2 hard and also like the universities I've seen. So most of my choices are BBB, but my prediction will be probably AAA/AAB. I fear that the universites will think something like, "He's got higher predictions than our offer, he'll go somewhere with those predictions so there's no point in offering him a place here!"

Please help me! This is annoying me!
I wouldn't worry about that in the current climate where there are far more students wanting to go to uni than there are places. What's the worst that can happen.....they offer you a place and you go somewhere else. When it comes to Clearing they will easily find people with BBB who didn't get in anywhere or missed their ABB offer or whatever, so they can replace you. If they think you are good I'm sure they will offer you a place.

Universities get people who want to go to a specific university for a reason, sometimes because it's near home or family, sometimes because their girlfriend/boyfriend is there, so they know that it's not all about people with top grades just looking at the ones who ask for high grades.

Of course if you're worried, why not email the unis you are interested in, ask the admissions tutor some questions about the course, if he/she remembers your name and has had a bit of contact with you and you sound keen then when you apply they might think, ah yes, I remember him, and he's got good predictions as well, send him an offer fast.
That hasn't been the case for me at all!

I've got 3 offers already so far, two of them being ABB and one BBC (Insurance/back-up of my back-up) lol. My As' were nothing special yet I'm still predicted AAA, which is highly possible so I don't think any of my Uni's have thought, hmm we won't offer her a place with those predictions! Lol.

Don't think too much about what your predicted and that you must apply to a Uni asking for that; go for a course you love and a Uni you'd be happy to go to. That's what I've done :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by stef.strawbs.123
That hasn't been the case for me at all!

I've got 3 offers already so far, two of them being ABB and one BBC (Insurance/back-up of my back-up) lol. My As' were nothing special yet I'm still predicted AAA, which is highly possible so I don't think any of my Uni's have thought, hmm we won't offer her a place with those predictions! Lol.

Don't think too much about what your predicted and that you must apply to a Uni asking for that; go for a course you love and a Uni you'd be happy to go to. That's what I've done :smile:

Great advice, thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending