Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Official Lancaster University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by affinity89
History. And, I need a 2.1 for my postgrad course. :smile:

Good luck, am sure that you will be fine though. But how is the teaching and the research facilities at Lancaster, including the libary of course.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Millz
Good luck, am sure that you will be fine though. But how is the teaching and the research facilities at Lancaster, including the libary of course.

Thank you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It is just so hard to gauge how the exams went. Last year, the one I thought was my absolute worst turned into my best - how?! :smile:

Teaching is pretty good on the whole, although of course it is really down to the individual. The reading lists are there and the lectures usually provide a good base for the topics, with the seminars offering the opportunity to discuss ideas. But, it is up to the individual to do the reading and ensure they understand it. :smile:

The library is okay. I took out a grand total of 225 books over my three years, but I very rarely worked in there. The system for organising the books is a little complicated at first, but you'll get used to it. Plus, there are a reasonable number of PCs and printers available should you need them. There is also the silent reading room - I never went in there though, as I prefer a little noise when I am working. During freshers, you will have a tour of the library and the library usually put on information sessions too so you can familiarise yourself with the systems in place. :smile:
Reply 342
Thank you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It is just so hard to gauge how the exams went. Last year, the one I thought was my absolute worst turned into my best - how?! :smile:

Teaching is pretty good on the whole, although of course it is really down to the individual. The reading lists are there and the lectures usually provide a good base for the topics, with the seminars offering the opportunity to discuss ideas. But, it is up to the individual to do the reading and ensure they understand it. :smile:

The library is okay. I took out a grand total of 225 books over my three years, but I very rarely worked in there. The system for organising the books is a little complicated at first, but you'll get used to it. Plus, there are a reasonable number of PCs and printers available should you need them. There is also the silent reading room - I never went in there though, as I prefer a little noise when I am working. During freshers, you will have a tour of the library and the library usually put on information sessions too so you can familiarise yourself with the systems in place. :smile:

If you have trouble understanding a particular text is there any help given to aid you ?

Keeping in mind that my perspective degree there involves philosophy.
Original post by Millz
If you have trouble understanding a particular text is there any help given to aid you ?

Keeping in mind that my perspective degree there involves philosophy.

I haven't studied philosophy.
Generally, if you don't understand something, you can go to the office hours for your tutor and they can assist you. I never sought help with a particular text though, so I have no experience of doing that. :smile:
Reply 344
Generally, if you don't understand something, you can go to the office hours for your tutor and they can assist you. I never sought help with a particular text though, so I have no experience of doing that. :smile:

Thanks, I hope that all the ladies at Lancaster are as helpful as you. :wink::cool:
I tried the ice cream palour today. Wow. He gives you so much ice cream! My friend and I were eating them for ages and ages as we sat on the swings after results. It was pretty tasty though. :smile:

I also bought a Yummy Cupcake too. 3 years in Lancs and I've never tried one. I had that after some supper. [Yes, I've had an unhealthy day food-wise lol, but I got a first so a little treat - or two - isn't so bad, is it? :biggrin:]
Reply 346
Congratulations! :smile:

Fylde Extrav sounds good/I wish they'd shut-the-hell-up. Grumble grumble... :tongue:
All this talk of the ice cream parlour!! Will it be open on the open days??
Original post by BeccaCath94
All this talk of the ice cream parlour!! Will it be open on the open days??

no idea. not sure whats happening with that....

im not even sure if it will be around next year....
Original post by ponpon14
no idea. not sure whats happening with that....

im not even sure if it will be around next year....

:O I hope it is...it sounds v nice :biggrin:
Anyone want a keg?
Reply 351
the ice cream from that shop is available at a local farm shop(forgot the name..but the sign outside says it)... if they have any sense, they will come back next year.
Reply 352

I tried the ice cream palour today. Wow. He gives you so much ice cream! My friend and I were eating them for ages and ages as we sat on the swings after results. It was pretty tasty though. :smile:

I also bought a Yummy Cupcake too. 3 years in Lancs and I've never tried one. I had that after some supper. [Yes, I've had an unhealthy day food-wise lol, but I got a first so a little treat - or two - isn't so bad, is it? :biggrin:]

1. TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE?! Are you a machine? How did you get through those? I think I took out about 16 over my course, and that was with friends borrowing my library card!

2. Yummy cupcakes are seriously good, right? I was in second or third year before I tried them, and lordy! Do they still have the pinky ones? They were well the best :biggrin:

Also, what's this about an ice cream parlour??!?

Not to be a pedant, but you've studied both history and politics - so yes, you've studied philosophy even if your degree is not an in depth study of it.
Original post by Robbolo
1. TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE?! Are you a machine? How did you get through those? I think I took out about 16 over my course, and that was with friends borrowing my library card!

2. Yummy cupcakes are seriously good, right? I was in second or third year before I tried them, and lordy! Do they still have the pinky ones? They were well the best :biggrin:

Also, what's this about an ice cream parlour??!?

Lol. I built up that figure without even trying. Taking out readings for seminars and essays was all I did. Some of my friends practically lived in the library, so their record was much higher. :smile:

I'm not sure what all the varieties are. I've only ever had one. It was very tasty though. Typical that I didn't try one until results day!

The ice cream parlour is where the flower shop used to be. :smile:

Original post by RedRevolver
Not to be a pedant, but you've studied both history and politics - so yes, you've studied philosophy even if your degree is not an in depth study of it.

The post was about philosophy as a degree course or the modules offered by that part of the department. I've never taken a philosophy module. I have thus no experience with the procedures or requirements of such modules. :smile:

And, I am well aware that I studied some political philosophy on my politics modules. But, as they were politics modules, the stance was slightly different and the assessment etc procedures were different.
225 books in the course of your degree???
I've not taken out any yet. Heck, I've only been in the library once to get my library card!

I'm not sure if I should be saying that with pride or shame.
I suppose that is why they say you 'read' a degree, especially with subjects like history. I already miss it though. I hate all my assignments for my postgrad course already - there is so much to do and none of it is as interesting as even my dullest university module! :redface:

Spoiler

I guess with something like history you definitely need more perspectives and as many sources of evidence for your arguments as possible, whereas in physics there is only one 'proper' answer, the correct one.
I'll probably have to take out books next year though as my list of required and recommended textbooks will definitely be more than 1 required and <5 recommended! And textbooks aren't cheap to buy, even second hand.
Original post by Manitude
I guess with something like history you definitely need more perspectives and as many sources of evidence for your arguments as possible, whereas in physics there is only one 'proper' answer, the correct one.
I'll probably have to take out books next year though as my list of required and recommended textbooks will definitely be more than 1 required and <5 recommended! And textbooks aren't cheap to buy, even second hand.

Definitely. I bought quite a lot of books during the three years but it is much better if you can use the library. Now I have stacks of books to accommodate, which I may or may not use again. :smile:
Definitely. I bought quite a lot of books during the three years but it is much better if you can use the library. Now I have stacks of books to accommodate, which I may or may not use again. :smile:

Thankfully, at least one of the books I've already bought will more than likely be sufficient for another year or so and the maths one will probably be useful forever if I decide to work in a job vaguely related to physics (quite likely)

Well done on the first btw :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending