Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Official Lancaster University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sockhead
Thankyou :smile:
I'm currently looking at Furness closely, even though I have best part of 6 months before I have to make any decisions :P

Furness isn't bad in terms of position, and the bar was closed last year for refurbishment so it *should* be really nice. I'm going up to lancaster on thursday so I might pop on to campus and see if the new furness bar is open actually.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 661
Original post by Manitude
Furness isn't bad in terms of position, and the bar was closed last year for refurbishment so it *should* be really nice. I'm going up to lancaster on thursday so I might pop on to campus and see if the new furness bar is open actually.

Good to hear! The thing that really stuck out to me was it being the smallest of all colleges and so a tight nit community which would really suit me well :P
Do you know how hectic things get when 8 people share a kitchen? Not too bad I hope :smile:

Oooh I hope it looks nice too! If you don't mind, please let me know what you think :P
Good to hear! The thing that really stuck out to me was it being the smallest of all colleges and so a tight nit community which would really suit me well :P
Do you know how hectic things get when 8 people share a kitchen? Not too bad I hope :smile:

Oooh I hope it looks nice too! If you don't mind, please let me know what you think :P

Furness is definitely a good choice. Our slogan was "everywhere else is nowhere" lol. :biggrin:

In terms of positioning, it is pretty perfect. I was literally no more than 3 minutes from any of my classes for the entire three years. Plus, there are a few groovy shortcuts best accessed from Furness to help keep your journey times short lol. Not that I don't like walking - there is a link straight onto the Woodland Trail from the back of the Furness accommodation blocks and it is easy to drop down and off campus to head into Galgate and up the canal. :smile:

I haven't shared a kitchen with 8 myself. At Lancaster, I shared with 3 others and 4 others, as I was in standard accommodation. At Durham I shared with 5 others, which was still okay - not a problem, anyway. :smile:

I shared a kitchen with 11 other people in my first year. It's not *too* bad, but unless you're careful, expect things to go missing!
Hellooo :smile: Anyone who will either be taking media and cultural studies or is currently taking the course know if there are any books on the subject worth reading before term starts?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hey guys, I got my accommodation offer through, and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it/has any photos?
I got offered Slaidburn house, Bowland, and its ensuite and £109 a week...
Original post by Helpmeplease1
Hey guys, I got my accommodation offer through, and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it/has any photos?
I got offered Slaidburn house, Bowland, and its ensuite and £109 a week...

Slaidburn is nice from the 5-10 minutes or so I spent in there. Very central so you're close to spar, greggs, lusu shop etc and depending on which side of the building, nice views.
Reply 667
Anyone else still not got an email for accommodation? ._.
Slaidburn is nice from the 5-10 minutes or so I spent in there. Very central so you're close to spar, greggs, lusu shop etc and depending on which side of the building, nice views.

Thanks, what were you there for? Can't wait to start now, its finally feeling real. Only just under 5 weeks to go!
Reply 669
Hey everybody,

I'm a French student, and I'm very exited to discover the Lancaster University ! However, i would like to know a bit more about the weather (especially winter, does it get very cold and/or snowy ?) since i'm starting to prepare my stuff. I live in the North of France and here it's usually very rainy, but i have no idea about the English weather, if it's similar or not... ? so is there some special coats or shoes (rain boots maybe?) that i should buy before coming ?

Thanks a lot, see you soon :wink: !
Original post by SBelaa
Hey everybody,

I'm a French student, and I'm very exited to discover the Lancaster University ! However, i would like to know a bit more about the weather (especially winter, does it get very cold and/or snowy ?) since i'm starting to prepare my stuff. I live in the North of France and here it's usually very rainy, but i have no idea about the English weather, if it's similar or not... ? so is there some special coats or shoes (rain boots maybe?) that i should buy before coming ?

Thanks a lot, see you soon :wink: !

Weather in Lancaster is usually crap. Just think how everyone always says that the English weather sucks - Lancaster is even worse. :tongue: It's rainy and windy quite often. It gets pretty warm in May or so, and it doesn't snow almost at all - if it does, it's usually in December and it just gets icy.

So yeah, you should definitely bring a coat or a warm jacket for the cold, rainy and windy weather.
Original post by Helpmeplease1
Thanks, what were you there for? Can't wait to start now, its finally feeling real. Only just under 5 weeks to go!

I was with a friend who lived there who was looking for his library card or something like that.

Hope you enjoy the first term! If everything goes to plan it should be the most memorable.
Reply 672
Original post by RabbitCFH
Weather in Lancaster is usually crap. Just think how everyone always says that the English weather sucks - Lancaster is even worse. :tongue: It's rainy and windy quite often. It gets pretty warm in May or so, and it doesn't snow almost at all - if it does, it's usually in December and it just gets icy.

So yeah, you should definitely bring a coat or a warm jacket for the cold, rainy and windy weather.

Haha, i was kind of expecting that answer, but still hoping that it might have been otherwise... At least i won't be a change of scene concerning the weather !
Changing subjects, but i recently received an offer for an Upgraded Standard in Grizedale and was wondering if i have to buy all the dishes ( + pans, etc...) myself ? If so, are there any last year students who sell their stuff, or cheap stores in Lancaster ?

Thanks for the previous answer :smile: !
Original post by SBelaa
Haha, i was kind of expecting that answer, but still hoping that it might have been otherwise... At least i won't be a change of scene concerning the weather !
Changing subjects, but i recently received an offer for an Upgraded Standard in Grizedale and was wondering if i have to buy all the dishes ( + pans, etc...) myself ? If so, are there any last year students who sell their stuff, or cheap stores in Lancaster ?

Thanks for the previous answer :smile: !

Yep, you have to buy your own dishes. On the website there should be (*I think*) an accommodation handbook in which it'll say what your kitchen and flat will be provided with and what you will need to bring yourself.
As for cheap stores for dishes, bedding etc. check out Wilkinson, Poundland and Pound Fever (all of them in the city centre) as well as the charity shop on campus - it's really cheap. I wish I had discovered it earlier than halfway through my third year. :tongue:
Hey

Lancaster's nightlife is not quiet. The Universities Student Union (LUSU) has its own night club - The Sugarhouse with TWO rooms (one small and the other massive), with 3 bars. he Every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (especally the weekends) are busy, and considering the fact many bar crawl also, you find that you may be walking down the street to a club and bump into others from the University; usually all having a good time. There are some good clubs to go to. Hustle does a drinks deal night on Thursdays and last year began a Tuesday Student night. There are two weatherspoons (ideal for affordable drinks), and there is a Yates, there are clubs called; Elements, Revolution (aka - revs), Mint, the lounge and countless of pubs. The saying goes, that Lancaster is not metropoltian like Manchester, but has a cosmopolitan nightlife. Not over the top, but also not dead.

Some say the University isnt multcultural, and in some respects it isnt. You may find certain people keep to themselves, but it is a diverse Uni and the opportunities to join a society for your interests are wide - with over a 100 different clubs and societies. Have a look at the LUSU website in the activities section. There is even a German society and also an Islamic one. The College you are in should also provide opportunities for the promotion of diversity and integration throughout the year. Pendle College, for instance last year had a Pendle Hotpot and a dumpling feast (led by the International Officer), where trying out food from other cultures occured, as well as the Pendle Picnic, where we aimed to get people to meet up and enjoy themselves. YES, you will find some people keep themeslves to themelves, but if you want to meet new people, during the Freshers/Intro week, that can happen. Just have be willing!

Some students take a year study abroad in their second year. Either to the USA or some countries in Europe. It depends what your course offers in that respect. Then, say for instance you are studying in Spain for an example, you could join the Spanish Society, and they like some societies provide language tuition.

When you start, if you feel lost and alone; or confused, DO NOT HESITATE to contact someone. There are loads of people here to help you get started. Most Colleges JCRs have some form of Welfare team, and are more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps.

Lee Dickson (Vice President: Equality, Welfare and Diversity - Pendle College)

PendleJCRSUPPORT
So...purple cards no longer needed to join societies.

I think I want a refund for the remaining two years of my card. I so very rarely use it for discounts that it's not worth having.
So...purple cards no longer needed to join societies.

I think I want a refund for the remaining two years of my card. I so very rarely use it for discounts that it's not worth having.

I don't think I've actually used my purple for any discounts, only to join societies.
Hi, I have been wanting to ask this question but didn't know whom to ask. I will be leaving in the Graduate Residences Studios. I am a smoker, well no longer a heavy smoker but I do enjoy it. I want to know if any of the residences are smoker-friendly zones? I understand that one cannot smoke inside academic buildings or the library, but outside it? Is it permitted? Frowns I don't mind, fines I would. And what of the bars, do they have separate smoking sections?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cryptic-clues
Hi, I have been wanting to ask this question but didn't know whom to ask. I will be leaving in the Graduate Residences Studios. I am a smoker, well no longer a heavy smoker but I do enjoy it. I want to know if any of the residences are smoker-friendly zones? I understand that one cannot smoke inside academic buildings or the library, but outside it? Is it permitted? Frowns I don't mind, fines I would. And what of the bars, do they have separate smoking sections?

You cannot smoke in any enclosed workspace [my law]. So, you cannot smoke in any of the communal college buildings/the bar/the library/shops etc. People do smoke outside the library and outside the accommodation blocks. :smile:
Reply 679
hey, i had a question to ask, i ll be arriving on 28th september night, say till 8 30 ill be at manchester and then i suppose 1-2 hours to lancaster, well i needed to know that will i get my room on that night, it supposed to be given on 29th right ? but i guess couple of hours wont make a difference?

and whats easier to take? a taxi or the train in the evening from manchester?
replies are appreciated

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending