The Student Room Group

Singapore Elective

Hi, I've just been offered a 5 week placement at Kangdang Hospital Singapore, I was wondering if anyone else or knows someone who's had experience as a foreign medical student in Singapore?

OR Would like to come with? lol I'm so nervous! :biggrin:
i did 3 weeks in singapore general hospital. i found the experience not that dissimilar to firms in london. i was doing surgery so i was expecting it to be a bit hardcore with early starts. i found people generally friendly and willing to teach. in sgh, there were loads of medical students and many elective students around too.

all the doctors speak english. only problem is that some patients only speak chinese.

i had a great time exploring singapore, and you can use it as a springboard for weekend trips away to other south east asian countries too!
Reply 2
A few of people in my year went on their elective to Singapore (there's probably more than what I'm thinking of). Want me to message you their names so you can Facebook stalk?
Reply 3
Original post by Meltdown30
A few of people in my year went on their elective to Singapore (there's probably more than what I'm thinking of). Want me to message you their names so you can Facebook stalk?

HA that might be an idea lol, of course I never EVER facebook stalk ;
Reply 4
Original post by fatal
HA that might be an idea lol, of course I never EVER facebook stalk ;

Done. (For other people reading - I'm also at Glasgow so I'm not giving away details of total randomers!)
Reply 5
Original post by Meltdown30
Done. (For other people reading - I'm also at Glasgow so I'm not giving away details of total randomers!)

Merci :smile:
Reply 6
Awesome I want to do this in 3 years time :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by lekky
Awesome I want to do this in 3 years time :tongue:

Well you're a Glasgow student too :smile: you can do it at the end of 3rd year!
Reply 8
I realise this is an old post, but I'm also a foreign student (from Glasgow Uni =D) applying to do electives in Singapore, and I was wondering what accommodation is like? And what hospitals we can apply to?
Reply 9
Original post by alexx_y
I realise this is an old post, but I'm also a foreign student (from Glasgow Uni =D) applying to do electives in Singapore, and I was wondering what accommodation is like? And what hospitals we can apply to?

I'm a 3rd year glasgow student doing my elective this year in Changi General Hospital. Which hospital are you at? :smile:
I'm a 5th year medical student, interested in applying at SGH for elective postings, but I keep getting the same reply (that my application cannot be processed) from the listed email of the associate dean in their website. But I am still yet to send in my application. I wonder why is that :frown: Would anyone know if they are currently not accepting applicants?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Hello, I'm from Singapore (studying in UK) and did my electives, SSC and random postings when I'm home. I've been in KKH (kedang kebrau...not kangdang) twice and NUH. Foreign students are treated the same as local students. You might be shocked at the amount of knowledge the locals have in their heads...it was scary to me but actually, everyone is super friendly and the juniors are great at teaching. Hospitals are sweltering, especially in the 'lower class wards' with no air conditioning
Reply 12
Hello, I'm from Singapore (studying in UK) and did my electives, SSC and random postings when I'm home. I've been in KKH (kedang kebrau...not kangdang) twice and NUH. Foreign students are treated the same as local students. You might be shocked at the amount of knowledge the locals have in their heads...it was scary to me but actually, everyone is super friendly and the juniors are great at teaching. Hospitals are sweltering, especially in the 'lower class wards' with no air conditioning

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending