The Student Room Group

How much can you bench press?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Ah right, a useful point comment at that.
Reply 81
Tom, how tall are you, what are your lifts etc?
Reply 82
TomX
Ah right, a useful point at that.

What part of 'it wasn't a point' dont you understand?
Reply 83
I'm 5'8" (already mentioned in this post).

Today I did 8x48kg dumbell bench press, which according to a 1RM calculator suggests I could do a 1x60kg dumbell bench press.

Similarly, 8x80kg squat suggests I could do 1x100kg squat. (ignoring bar)

Similarly, 8x70kg deadlift suggests I could do 1x85kg deadlift. (ignoring bar).

And I can close the CoC #1.5, getting close to the #2.

I have a mass of 11 stone.

Why?
TomX

According to this 1RM calculator, 8x48kg would suggest my 1RM is 60kg.

Don't ever trust these 1RM calculators, they're often quite off track... Always predicting more or less too low. If I stick in my set weight on say dumbbell bench press (flat), 35kg in each hand, 6 reps it predicts something quite low like 40kg whilst I easily do 45 for max...
(sorry haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been discussed already, and it really doesn't matter much)

To get on topic... I normally do 3 sets of [email protected]
1RM is 97.5kg

Reply 85
nota bene
Don't ever trust these 1RM calculators, they're often quite off track... Always predicting more or less too low. If I stick in my set weight on say dumbbell bench press (flat), 35kg in each hand, 6 reps it predicts something quite low like 40kg whilst I easily do 45 for max...
(sorry haven't read the whole thread, so this may have been discussed already, and it really doesn't matter much)

To get on topic... I normally do 3 sets of [email protected]
1RM is 97.5kg

Yeah, I figured their guess was better than mine, given that I never try to find my 1RM.
Reply 86
TomX
Ah right, a useful point comment at that.

Am I bovered?

TomX
I'm 5'8" (already mentioned in this post).

Dont care

TOM

Today I did 8x48kg dumbell bench press, which according to a 1RM calculator suggests I could do a 1x60kg dumbell bench press.

Similarly, 8x80kg squat suggests I could do 1x100kg squat. (ignoring bar)

Similarly, 8x70kg deadlift suggests I could do 1x85kg deadlift. (ignoring bar).

And I can close the CoC #1.5, getting close to the #2.

I have a mass of 11 stone.

Why?

Curious.
Reply 87
Nota, good lifts for your weight, obviously have high muscle density. Well done.
Reply 88
Actually, I think your 1RM will be 60 +/- 5kg's.
Reply 89
TomX
Well this is clearly false. Take Ronnie Coleman who is taller than me, he's also stronger than me.

Well work done is the force multiplied by the distance it was applied through, rather than the mass, but that's not important.

I don't see how this follows. (Also, I don't think we can assume the total energy each person can use is the same, which this argument relies on).

Force is directly proportional to mass.

If you're going to resort to just being a pedant then I give up already, it seems like trying to get a point across to you is like banging your head against a brick wall anyway.

Believe what you want, happy lifting.
Reply 90
Yeah that is usually the best way narb
Reply 91
x.narb.x
Force is directly proportional to mass.

If you're going to resort to just being a pedant then I give up already, it seems like trying to get a point across to you is like banging your head against a brick wall anyway.

Believe what you want, happy lifting.

Which is why I said, "but that's not important". It seems like you tried to pull out some fancy physics to try to confuse people, but failed.
It's very strange for me. I can rep 50kg 10 times thrice, but my 1 rep max is 55kg.

It may be because of my age, weight and height or something.

Reply 93
Woodside Natured
It's very strange for me. I can rep 50kg 10 times thrice, but my 1 rep max is 55kg.

It may be because of my age, weight and height or something.

You seem pretty light for a 6 footer.
InPictureLoansWeTrust
can bench around 60 kg. I'm slightly intimidated by my twin sis, she can do the same

lol
40 kg - 8 reps. Don't know what my max is.
Reply 96
TomX
Which is why I said, "but that's not important". It seems like you tried to pull out some fancy physics to try to confuse people, but failed.

I wasn't try to confuse anyone, infact I was trying to clear up the confussion that you are clearly in.
Reply 97
Is leg pressing 75k with one leg much? People always say they can leg press massive amounts, like a quarter of a tonne (thats with both legs i imagine). i pay a fair bit of atention to my legs and i cant see myself ever being able to lift THAT much.
Reply 98
75kg with one leg ain't bad, when leg pressing with 1 leg its not a simple case of halving what you can leg press with 2 - for example with 2 legs I can leg press 260kg but 1 leg at a time i'm lucky if I can do 110kg on each leg.
Ask this question over on t-nation / myprotein forums! (Only two I know :tongue:)

Quick Reply

Latest