The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

The Cambridge Postgraduates' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Question primarily for the women in this thread: could you folks suggest a place to get hair cut? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just someone who can do a good job with layers. Would prefer someone close to the city centre; student discount would be ideal.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 141
Original post by _veritas
Question primarily for the women in this thread: could you folks suggest a place to get hair cut? I'm not looking for anything fancy, just someone who can do a good job with layers. Would prefer someone close to the city centre; student discount would be ideal.

I thought you were male :eek:

I once used a place near to the Grafton Centre, which wasn't too expensive. It was on Napier street. But I've got dreads, so its not really my area of expertise.
Reply 142
That's happened on virtually every Internet messageboard on which I've posted. I'm not sure what it is about my writing style that seems male, lol.
Reply 143
Original post by Athena
First year transfer *hides*

Huh?
That's happened on virtually every Internet messageboard on which I've posted. I'm not sure what it is about my writing style that seems male, lol.
If it makes you feel better, I think I came away with the impression you were female. But that might have been because the conversation was about kitchens..
Original post by Athena
First year transfer *hides*

Huh?
I think it's a term for the end of first year report/viva for a PhD in order to continue.

Good luck, Athena, whether it's the writing or the viva you're worried about :smile: Presumably if you have a publication already not too much could go wrong..
Reply 145

There is the option to display a gender symbol... :p:
But actually the same happened for years to me on TSR, even with my gender symbol displayed and while writing in bright blue :rolleyes:
Reply 146
Have any grads done MPhils here and then gotten transcripts partway through due to needing to apply to other Universities?

Basically the official records office has completely screwed up and they still haven't issued me my transcripts even though I applied for them in November :angry: I have one copy of my undergrad transcript which was given to me straight after graduation.
What I'm trying to work out is whether the more up to date ones would be likely to have anything more on them. I've submitted two pieces of coursework in Michaelmas and received marks back from one of them. Is it likely that the marks would have been registered officially and have shown up in recent transcripts? Or is the older copy I have good enough?
Reply 147
Original post by Craghyrax
Have any grads done MPhils here and then gotten transcripts partway through due to needing to apply to other Universities?

Basically the official records office has completely screwed up and they still haven't issued me my transcripts even though I applied for them in November :angry: I have one copy of my undergrad transcript which was given to me straight after graduation.
What I'm trying to work out is whether the more up to date ones would be likely to have anything more on them. I've submitted two pieces of coursework in Michaelmas and received marks back from one of them. Is it likely that the marks would have been registered officially and have shown up in recent transcripts? Or is the older copy I have good enough?

Are the marks listed on CamSIS? It would probably be easier to print off the unofficial copy from CamSIS and, if you were to get an offer, submit the original then.
Original post by Craghyrax

See if Peterhouse/Tit Hall can print you official ones - it's what I get from Magdalene as it's far quicker (and cheaper!) than ordering them on Camsis. Also, I doubt anything more recent than your undergrad stuff will be included, but I may be wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by poi12
Are the marks listed on CamSIS? It would probably be easier to print off the unofficial copy from CamSIS and, if you were to get an offer, submit the original then.

They don't show up, no. Just the shell - saying I'm on the course. In honesty I probably want that. It might look funny to them if I only send them a transcript mentioning the BA with no evidence that I'm on the MPhil I say I'm on. I would have printed out an unofficial transcript but they warned against it explicitly in the application appendix.
Original post by Supergrunch
See if Peterhouse/Tit Hall can print you official ones - it's what I get from Magdalene as it's far quicker (and cheaper!) than ordering them on Camsis. Also, I doubt anything more recent than your undergrad stuff will be included, but I may be wrong.

Thankyou, that's a great idea. I'll email the tutorial office and see if they can.
Reply 150
Really pissed off.
Called Student Records and their database says they did issue the transcripts to my college on the 6th of December.
So I'm quite upset now as to how they got lost, especially as it cost me £11 :angry:
Reply 151
Are any current grads interested in getting involved with this?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1523665
Anyone here doing a Masters in Social and Political Sciences?
I may come to either Cambridge or Oxford for Postgrad studies (after going to LSE first :smile: ), so would welcome any information specifically relevant to the department at Cambridge.
Original post by Athena

Original post by Athena
I feel totally frazzled over my first year transfer report. My supervisor noticed while we were talking about the data this afternoon, and took it away to read this weekend. The postdocs in my lab told me not to try and do anything for it over the weekend, as the draft will only come back covered in red and full of my supervisor's ideas anyway! I really hope I can get it done next Friday (the deadline is 31st) so I can escape off for a weekend at home knowing it's handed in and there's nothing else I can do!

Good luck with getting it done! If you are going home to your parents do you want to take their 'present' with you? It's waiting in our well-deck for collection! Anyway, I'll see you on Wednesday so we can discuss it then :smile:
Original post by Athena

Original post by Athena

Oh lol yes! It'll be fun carrying that on the train :biggrin:

Haha, no worries if its going to be difficult - I assumed you'd be driving! We have taken a similar cargo across England on the train ourselves, and blogged about it here: http://nbluckyduck.blogspot.com/2009/02/portaloo-or-across-england-with.html
Reply 155
Good luck, Athena!

I just submitted the Methods chapter for my dissertation and I've never been so happy to see the back of a piece of work in my life :stickyman:
Reply 156
Original post by ice_dragoness274
Anyone here doing a Masters in Social and Political Sciences?
I may come to either Cambridge or Oxford for Postgrad studies (after going to LSE first :smile: ), so would welcome any information specifically relevant to the department at Cambridge.

Sorry you're going to have to ask me specific questions about the MPhil or else I'm just going to tell you to read the basic information provided on the website :p:
'information about the department' is a fairly broad query :p:
Also you'll need to specify which MPhil you mean because at undergrad the faculty provides a unified SPS course, but by postgraduate its split into Sociology, Politics, Social Psychology and International Relations.
I can tell you about postgraduate courses in general and the Sociology department, but not really the others.
Original post by Athena
Urgh, 700 more words and about 50 more figures to go :frown: A picture paints a thousand words, but it takes a longer longer faffing about to produce!
Figures are a major factor in me disliking having to write things. I also don't like writing and, like you, don't like getting stuff back covered in scribbles. So all in all, it's a bit rubbish.

50 figures is a lot, though! Are they all graphs and stuff or are some of them blobs with arrows going in circles? (which is how I imagine the body works. Combined with this)
Reply 158
I'm very glad that usually I don't have to use graphics. But unfortunately I expect I'll have to start using them with my dissertation this year - yikes :erm:
Original post by Athena
Heh, 50 was me massively exaggerating :p: It'll be more like 10-15, but that FEELS like 50, especially as half of them need plotting in R and then tarting up in Inkscape :frown: They're mostly just plots - scatter plots, histograms to show distributions, PCR efficiency curves. I don't mind the writing tbh, as having done an essay-heavy undergrad, I'm used to producing 3000 words of hot air relatively quickly. What I'm less used to is having to back those words up from my own research...
I agree, 15 basically feels like 50. It's the tarting up that always takes me ages because I'm not used to using inkscape or anything like that. And because I keep putting it off and going slowly like a petulant child but no one pays me any attention because the only person who cares is me :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending