The Student Room Group

clothes to wear in dubai?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by senator88
so i'm going on holiday to dubai, and was just wondering what type of clothes i could wear, as i've heard they are easily offended there! so what could i wear that will look nice and keep me cool and be respectful at the same time? links would be good as well! :smile: im female by the way.
also, if anyone has been to dubai, anything i should see?

I live in Dubai, and you can where EVERYTHING YOU WANT !!
But of course : nothing above the knees and you should cover your shoulder. (like a t-shirt and dont show cleavage).
It also depends on where you go.
For example : malls & city center i would recommend you to cover those parts.
JBR, beach, Marina, Souq Al Bahar ... however you please ... Specially if your fair/blond :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by senator88
yeah we've looked at that :] i'm excited, know dubai isn't everyones cup of tea but i'm looking forward to it!

Dubai is GREAT actually for Holidays!! And you're going to enjoy it !! Specially for shopping ! And restaurants are much cheaper!
When are you coming?
Because now the weather is great because it is not too hot but it isnt cold either ...

Places to go:
Malls:

Dubai Mall (biggest in the world) & check out the fontains

Emirates Mall (4th biggest)

Wafi (small and cute - i would recommend you to eat in wafi gourmet)

City Center

Burjuman

Dubai Marina Mall

Mercato (small & very cute)

Ibn Battuta Mall -> although not on weekends (biggest thematic mall in the world)

Others :

Souq al bahar (which is like a medina with restaurants but it's kind of a mall)

Burj Al Arab - best hotel in the world.

Atlantis - you can swim with dolphins

Safari -> a dinner in the desert with a camel ride and belly dancer

JBR -> many restaurants

Global Village -> shops and attractions

ifly -> YOU CAN FLY !!!

Wild Wadi or the one in Atlantis (although ive never been there)
check this : /www.dreamdays.ae/

There's a souq in bur dubai creek with then a small boat trip which is really cute (if you like adventure)

There's a park in front of City Center Deira with few restaurants inside and a GREAT VIEW

If you smoke try shisha, it might be cool (although it is very unhealthy)

Have you heard about Burj Khalifa? It is the tallest building in the world! And you can go to the 124th floor, which has a great view of Dubai (if you book 2 days earlier i think it costs around 15 pounds to go there)

And that's all i can remember now :P

Btw, how old are you? There are many clubs but you should be 21.
(edited 13 years ago)
I wore shorts and short skirts sometimes, and I don't think anyone really minded :dontknow:. Though, I know some places have official rules about covering up, such as in the Dubai mall, and the palace in Abu Dhabi, otherwise they seem pretty relaxed.
Reply 23
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I wore shorts and short skirts sometimes, and I don't think anyone really minded :dontknow:. Though, I know some places have official rules about covering up, such as in the Dubai mall, and the palace in Abu Dhabi, otherwise they seem pretty relaxed.

As long as your blonde or look European they wont mind :tongue:
Unless in Emirates mall !
Original post by p+i+n+k
As long as your blonde or look European they wont mind :tongue:
Unless in Emirates mall !

Hmmm, I dunno about that, cos I'm black though :p:.
Reply 25
In quite a few places you do need to cover your shoulders etc, like everyone has said.

But also it's worth thinking about how comfortable you'll feel if you don't dress relatively modestly... even where it's not completely necessary, and where you'll see others wearing very little sometimes you might feel like you're not wearing enough! Clothes that look/feel totally normal at home seem more revealing when you're stood next to someone completely covered up.

It also shows some degree of consideration if you make an effort : )
Meh don't go to Dubai, lived there 7 years and it's boring. But if you plan to go anyways, wear anything, it doesn't matter.
Reply 27
I don't get this. I went dubai this september, and I've been alot, tbh european women wear very little, and I saw alot of tank tops ect, so i'm sure you'll be fine. But wearing little won't keep you cool at all, wear loose, long clothing if you want to stay cool. I honestly lol when girls say their wearing so little because of the weather.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by style
I don't get this. I went dubai this september, and I've been alot, tbh european women generaly swan around half naked. So i'm sure you'll be fine.

Yeahh that's true, but as long as you look Europen they wont tell you anything.
But lately it's getting a bit more strict. Security has told a couple of times my sister, in Dubai Mall and Emirates Mall, that she should not wear shorts, and that she has to cover her shoulders (but then, she looks 100% arab - dark eyes and tan skin).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Hi , i'm actually moving to dubai in a few weeks would be great if you could email me? do you work out there? whats it like? dress code rules etc...

Quick Reply

Latest