The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5640
Have had to cancel an interview because of illness getting progressively worse, had prepped, planned lesson and everything! Absolutely gutted.

Why do I feel even more rotten than I should and soo guilty when it was a legitimate reason?! :frown:
Original post by Sam89
Have had to cancel an interview because of illness getting progressively worse, had prepped, planned lesson and everything! Absolutely gutted.

Why do I feel even more rotten than I should and soo guilty when it was a legitimate reason?! :frown:

:frown: that must be awful. Try not to feel too bad, just concentrate on getting better.

---

Well remember that job i was considering at my last plavement school? I spent so long considering it, I forgot when it was due in! Spent last night quickly putting together an application I could hand in today. Not holding out much hope though! They don't shortlist til after Easter so I'm not going to find out til then :frown:
Currently sat waiting yo visit a school I'm interested in applying for. It's been the most appealing job that's come up so far and if I like what I see I'm going to cancel my interview next week. I know they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, but I really want to make sure I don't miss out on somewhere I'll like more than the one I may have accepted.

Side note - it's such a lovely sunny day, and the end of term! I may be in the best mood I've been in since starting the pgce!
Original post by Sam89

Oh no! How interested in the job were you? I've cancelled interviews for awful reasons before so yours is pretty good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Helppp. On this application form it asks "are you registered with the GTC?".

I have a DfE number which it states is the same as a GTC number, so does that mean I'm registered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Esmeralda4
I just wanted to spread some positivity in here. I've been having a horribly stressful time lately but today (my birthday) I have been offered a job for September. 5 interviews have paid off...it's doable, guys!!

Now to actually pass the PGCE..

How did you feel after being rejected from previous interviews? My confidence has dropped :frown:
Original post by Airfairy
Helppp. On this application form it asks "are you registered with the GTC?".

I have a DfE number which it states is the same as a GTC number, so does that mean I'm registered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the GTC didn't exist any more?
Original post by alabelle
I thought the GTC didn't exist any more?

I don't know. Not much comes up when I Google it so I dunno what to put :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know. Not much comes up when I Google it so I dunno what to put :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just looked it up, it was abolished in 2012. The only membership number I know of is the TRN number.
Original post by alabelle
I just looked it up, it was abolished in 2012. The only membership number I know of is the TRN number.

Oh right thanks. They really need to update their application form! I'll just put no then I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you both. I know what you're saying. I'm visiting this other school tomorrow morning and I'm hoping it will help with a decision. If I don't like it there or something then I will go next week because there's nothing else on my plate. Plus they sent me the details of interview last night and it sounds like a nice day as far as interviews go. Finishes at 11 and they've let me pick my own lesson topic which is a dream. But if I see this school tomorrow and will definitely be applying then I will not go.

At the moment I'm only interested in part time jobs so it is what I want. However I know that I have to take finances into consideration which would be less of an issue if I stayed at home...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would err on the side of caution with accepting a job and then backing out. Schools don't look favourably on this and you don't know who the head of department/headteacher etc know at other schools. In my area my headteacher (albeit primary) know most of the others heads in the city and you would be blacklisted which is never good. Harsh I know but something to consider.
Original post by Striving92
How did you feel after being rejected from previous interviews? My confidence has dropped :frown:

It was hard. I had actually said I'd give up for a while after this one because of the stress... having said that, I took on feedback from prior interviews and felt a lot better at my last one because I had the experience. It is hard to keep getting rejections but also completely expected at this time and in this job. Just keep going, it's all good experience! Good luck. :-)
Original post by Peachz
I would err on the side of caution with accepting a job and then backing out. Schools don't look favourably on this and you don't know who the head of department/headteacher etc know at other schools. In my area my headteacher (albeit primary) know most of the others heads in the city and you would be blacklisted which is never good. Harsh I know but something to consider.

Very much this. It's an incestuous profession and word gets around.
Original post by Peachz

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Very much this. It's an incestuous profession and word gets around.

Yeah, I backed out of the interview today. I visited the other school and loved it so I'm taking a gamble and just hoping I get an interview there at least. I don't even know if I'd have got next week's job, but I simply could not ignore this new job that's come up, so decided it was best to back out. I was having moral issues with the idea of backing out of an accepted job anyway. It wasn't even about the blacklisting, I just felt bad :dontknow: .
Yeah, I backed out of the interview today. I visited the other school and loved it so I'm taking a gamble and just hoping I get an interview there at least. I don't even know if I'd have got next week's job, but I simply could not ignore this new job that's come up, so decided it was best to back out. I was having moral issues with the idea of backing out of an accepted job anyway. It wasn't even about the blacklisting, I just felt bad :dontknow: .

That's all fine. You aren't at the time of year yet when you are getting desperate, so being a bit choosy is sensible. I thought I'd never get a job when I started, so I applied to a whole load, got an interview at the first place I applied to, then got the job, and spent the next five years wishing I'd had a bit more faith in myself and chosen more wisely.
I need some more advice...sorry, I keep seeing jobs and then having issues about certain things! If anyone could help that would be great.

Visited a school today and had a chat with head of sixth form. The job is advertised as teacher of social sciences, so I asked if the candidate would be expected to teach all social science subjects, she said no, but they are looking on expanding sociology and politics in particular. I was honest with her and said I have no sociology background and was unsure if I could teach it, but could teach every other social science subject.

Anyway, out of curiosity, I've had a look at a sociology a-level spec and past paper, and I'm quite surprised to find that I have actually covered a lot of the topicsin my politics degree, and I'm quite confident I could teach it. However I am now worried about mentioning that I could teach sociology in my application, as I don't want her to be thinking "oh but she said she couldn't teach sociology and had no background in it, so why has she put that?" and then not give me an interview, but at the same time I want her to know I feel comfortable teaching it.

Any advice on what to do about that?
Reply 5655
I need some more advice...sorry, I keep seeing jobs and then having issues about certain things! If anyone could help that would be great.

Visited a school today and had a chat with head of sixth form. The job is advertised as teacher of social sciences, so I asked if the candidate would be expected to teach all social science subjects, she said no, but they are looking on expanding sociology and politics in particular. I was honest with her and said I have no sociology background and was unsure if I could teach it, but could teach every other social science subject.

Anyway, out of curiosity, I've had a look at a sociology a-level spec and past paper, and I'm quite surprised to find that I have actually covered a lot of the topicsin my politics degree, and I'm quite confident I could teach it. However I am now worried about mentioning that I could teach sociology in my application, as I don't want her to be thinking "oh but she said she couldn't teach sociology and had no background in it, so why has she put that?" and then not give me an interview, but at the same time I want her to know I feel comfortable teaching it.

Any advice on what to do about that?

Why not write something that explains exactly that? Perhaps something like "Although I have no formal sociology background I have researched the syllabus and I am confident that my subject knowledge acquired as part of my studies towards my politics degree will allow me to teach this subject with confidence."

I'm sure you can say it better than that, but you get the idea, I hope.........

Good luck!
I have started at my new school for my last placement and I really like it so far. I am grumbling because I have managed to catch another cold and can't sleep despite being tired! I hope I build up an immunity soon! :biggrin:
Easter holiday WOOHOO! I feel so tired and that I know that I have loads of work to do for this holiday(lesson plans, uni essays, TS evidence gathering and job applications) so lets hope that procrastination does not kick in!
Got my interim report back for placement two and I'm on all good's with one high for the standards. Feel like my mentors been a bit too generous but I'm not asking him to change it!

So excited for my year 7 Black Death lesson tomorrow - I've got some bubbles and I'm going to be using them to demonstrate the spread of disease!
Original post by Samus2
Got my interim report back for placement two and I'm on all good's with one high for the standards. Feel like my mentors been a bit too generous but I'm not asking him to change it!

So excited for my year 7 Black Death lesson tomorrow - I've got some bubbles and I'm going to be using them to demonstrate the spread of disease!

I'm on an R.E. PGCE, but on my current placement the humanities department is all mixed so I teach History and Geography too. I've just finished the Black Death last week and I really enjoyed it! They asked me a lot of questions that I couldn't answer, but I don't think it is an issue that I don't know - after all I haven't done any History since I was 13!

I like the bubble idea. I could have done with something different for what I used to show the spread of disease across countries.We did like a flow chart based on a map on the board but they didn't do it very well and couldn't read the map very well. My mentor said that the lesson I did on the impact and consequences of the Black Death was my best lesson yet. I sort of don't want to go back to teaching R.E. haha. I think the kids prefer History and Geography too so it's easier to get them engaged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending