The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89
I'll re-plan my lessons this weekend. :smile:

It was just frustrating after she told me I didn't use the computer enough during my first lesson and that I should up my usage lol. Ahh well.

Well, yes, you have to tick all the boxes, I'm afraid, even when the school makes it imposible for you to do so. Just be prepared, like a good boy/girl scout.:smile:
Woohoo, got masters level in my first assignment :biggrin: no proper feedback yet but we saw our tutor on Friday night and she told us what we got!
Original post by noodles!
Woohoo, got masters level in my first assignment :biggrin: no proper feedback yet but we saw our tutor on Friday night and she told us what we got!

Yay!!! Well done, mine is due in soon :'( Have barely started it.
Reply 583

Well done! I get my first assignment back in a few weeks but I doubt I've hit level 7 with it somehow. :frown:
Original post by *Sparkle*
Yay!!! Well done, mine is due in soon :'( Have barely started it.

My role as a leader of learning yawwwwwwwwn
My role as a leader of learning yawwwwwwwwn

hmm yawn indeed, don't think I'd know where to start! My next one is on "the inclusive classroom" :s-smilie:
hmm yawn indeed, don't think I'd know where to start! My next one is on "the inclusive classroom" :s-smilie:

my one after is "my role as a facilitator of learning" oh lordy.
my one after is "my role as a facilitator of learning" oh lordy.

wtf, that's ridiculous! I'm not even sure I can distinguish between the two using more than about 10 words... how long do they have to be?
Reply 589
What did I used to do with my Sundays? Church? Long country walks with the family? Pub lunches with mates? Footie in the park? Surface at 3pm with a raging hangover followed by a pyjama day?

I bolted out of bed today and threw together a (late) proposal for the next assignment (due Friday just gone) this morning. I'm currently buried under a pile of essay marking, which is just taking me far too long, before I plan at least one Year 7 lesson... all before I can "relax" whilst doing the ironing in front of the tele. It gets dark in a little over 3 hours' time.

Edit: Just been reminded by my To Do Wall that I've 4 articles to read for tomorrow back in uni. Wonderful.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rainy
What did I used to do with my Sundays? Church? Long country walks with the family? Pub lunches with mates? Footie in the park? Surface at 3pm with a raging hangover followed by a pyjama day?

I bolted out of bed today and threw together a (late) proposal for the next assignment (due Friday just gone) this morning. I'm currently buried under a pile of essay marking, which is just taking me far too long, before I plan at least one Year 7 lesson... all before I can "relax" whilst doing the ironing in front of the tele. It gets dark in a little over 3 hours' time.

Edit: Just been reminded by my To Do Wall that I've 4 articles to read for tomorrow back in uni. Wonderful.

Feeling that... the highlight of my day has been going down to collect my grocery delivery :frown: (but on the plus side I now have the incentive of apple pie for getting another lesson planned by dinner time!)
Reply 591
Feeling that... the highlight of my day has been going down to collect my grocery delivery :frown: (but on the plus side I now have the incentive of apple pie for getting another lesson planned by dinner time!)
Upsetting! I'm really struggling to get my teeth into this marking. It's the first assessment I've marked, and trying to grade the papers (into Level 4a, 6c etc) is a struggle. Am I being too soft on some and too harsh on others? I should've thought to get some classic teacher-y patronising stickers from Tesco yesterday...

I have absolutely no motivation to make lunch or dinner, either, which is strange because cooking's one of my favourite things!
Finished re-planning my literacy lesson for tomorrow. I think I am going to enjoy it - I hope the children do too. It is on the Jolly Postman and adjectives. There are so many more exciting things you can do with that book, but the class teacher basically said she wanted to do x, y, z and that I had to do something at 'word level'. So, hey ho. I've changed my plenary activity, and I think it will work much better - it is a bit like 'guess who' using the venn diagram structure we will be using during the lesson. :biggrin:

Still got to go over my science lesson for the afternoon. The teacher approved my lesson, but I don't like it. I don't see the point of it. Plus, the animations and stuff are obviously no good now, so I want to start from scratch. Obviously, I should deviate too much as the teacher did approve my existing lesson plan, but I think it changes need to be made. I mean, if I don't see the point of the lesson, I can't expect the children to lol.

Before that though, I've got my driving lesson. Had to cut back to one hour this week [instead of two] as two hours takes it out of me a bit too much when we have all this work to do. :smile:

I can sympathise with the marking. It must be a real task to mark essays. It took me nearly an hour to mark the stuff from my numeracy lesson and that was just number sequencing activities! Crackers.
Oh god just realised I'm coming to the end of at least 2 units this week or next... yay assessment marking is approaching! (peer assessment anyone?)
I winged an entire lesson today, had the most laziest weekend ever. Didn't do anything, thought I had planned for today but I hadn't. No idea how that happened!!!! Didn't go that badly in the end.

Only three mondays left at school until Christmas!!!!
Taught two lessons today.
One went incredibly well - the children were so engaged and I actually enjoyed it.
The other went pretty badly, as I pitched it too high. We were looking at food from plants [teacher's choice, not mine] and apparently I picked 'unusual' items [celery, apples, potatoes, strawberries, rice, peas, broccoli] lol. There is no doubting that some of the children didn't get it and that made me feel terrible, but I was slightly surprised by which children did and which children didn't. I am in a mixed year class - year 2, 3 and 4. My year 2s got it and flew. My year 3s pretty much got it and my year 4s were totally lost. I would have put money on it being the other way around. Still, I am not anywhere near as deflated as I was last time - possibly because my morning lesson went so well and possibly because I am refusing to let it upset me. :smile:
Wow jealous that you could wing it, I tried that today partially & it didn't go too well. The class teacher basically said that I was really firm with them though & the class could (should) have been much worse behaved considering. Massive kick in the teeth lol (though I knew they were being naughty & it wasn't working!)

I only have one school-Monday left! Then I'm in Tues/Wed/Thur the week after that, then a week in training centre so those 2 weeks barely count :P
Reply 597
One went incredibly well - the children were so engaged and I actually enjoyed it.
The other went pretty badly, as I pitched it too high. We were looking at food from plants [teacher's choice, not mine] and apparently I picked 'unusual' items [celery, apples, potatoes, strawberries, rice, peas, broccoli] lol. There is no doubting that some of the children didn't get it and that made me feel terrible, but I was slightly surprised by which children did and which children didn't. I am in a mixed year class - year 2, 3 and 4. My year 2s got it and flew. My year 3s pretty much got it and my year 4s were totally lost. I would have put money on it being the other way around. Still, I am not anywhere near as deflated as I was last time - possibly because my morning lesson went so well and possibly because I am refusing to let it upset me. :smile:

Glad it went well for you today! I fail to see how any of those items are unusual though! What would you be expected to use?

I suppose it depends on the school and type of children as to whether these choices would be unusual. Had you done that with my Y3 class they wouldn't have had a clue what celery, broccoli and potentially peas were because in general, vegetables are like a foreign thing that they only ever see at school.

How are you differentiating your input as well as the actual tasks? As you've got a mix of kids in there with some being barely able to write their name or CVC words with others in Y4 being okay with writing full essays if they're into the level 4 boundaries so you'd really need to pitch that kind of thing differently. From what you've said it could be that you're pitching it at a Y2/3 level which makes sense to the younger kids but the Y4s don't get it because its at a level they've surpassed?

Victory is mine!!! Against the year 9s I usually fail with, anyway. Finally had the balls to park a couple of them (kick them out of a lesson resulting in lunchtime detention with HOY), and the difference in the class was amazing. Plenty more where that came from kids! Muahaha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending