The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kipikachuko88
Thank you for your advice. The trip is only 10 miles so I would think it's not too bad for him to get a bus..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd try and check out the public transport before you say to him - it's only 10 miles but it may not be just one bus - busses might be one an hour etc. I don't want to guilt you, the decision is entirely yours

Out of interest, do you know why it makes you feel more stressed?
Thank you for your advice. The trip is only 10 miles so I would think it's not too bad for him to get a bus..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just want to say I understand how you feel, having been in the same situation. Having a car makes one feel obliged to offer a taxi service to those who are less fortunate. I don't have a solution, I'm afraid, because how things worked out for me statistically won't work out for you, probably, because I married my passenger.
Thank you for your advice. The trip is only 10 miles so I would think it's not too bad for him to get a bus

My placement is less than 5 miles away from the centre of a huge city with great transport links, and it still takes 50 minutes to get there by bus, and that's going against the flow of traffic . Distance doesn't make much difference to how long a public transport commute can take.

Not saying you have to keep giving him a lift if you don't want to, but just suggesting you check out the route before you use that logic with him.

I'd definitely tell him the hours you want to stay and that he can get the bus if he wants to do something different. If someone's giving you a lift- especially if you're not paying anything- then he has to fit to your schedule really.
Having been the passenger I always worked around the driver altho I don't know his particular situation
Hello,

If anyone could please give me some answer why PGCE and PGDE is more important than having an M.Ed or Doctorate in Education? It is confusing for me to choose.

I come from South East Asia and to my general knowledge, having a Master degree in Education is by far makes you more qualified to be a teacher in the major you choose and more likely to be hired. You usually need to learn a further 2 years from your 4-year-Bachelor of Education-degree to earn a Master in Education. You need to choose your major and learn it in detail. You will have a teaching practice where they send you to a school to teach and be observed. And not to mention, make a dissertation and discuss it in a trial attended by your Head of Dept. and other lecturers. All the hellish requirements in order to graduate.

So, it baffled me when I have been told that M.Ed is practically worthless and PGCE or PGDE is the main ticket to be a teacher in UK or Europe. The first time in my life I have to understand that a Post Graduate Certificate and Diploma have more worth than a Master Degree.

I believe that PGCE and PGDE are very difficult things to do and it needs a lot of hard work to earn it because I hear a lot from some of my friends' experience. And I don't doubt that the people that have PGCE or PGDE is qualify to teach. But, why PGCE/PGDE? Why not M.Ed?
Original post by vina.murray
Hello,

If anyone could please give me some answer why PGCE and PGDE is more important than having an M.Ed or Doctorate in Education? It is confusing for me to choose.

I come from South East Asia and to my general knowledge, having a Master degree in Education is by far makes you more qualified to be a teacher in the major you choose and more likely to be hired. You usually need to learn a further 2 years from your 4-year-Bachelor of Education-degree to earn a Master in Education. You need to choose your major and learn it in detail. You will have a teaching practice where they send you to a school to teach and be observed. And not to mention, make a dissertation and discuss it in a trial attended by your Head of Dept. and other lecturers. All the hellish requirements in order to graduate.

So, it baffled me when I have been told that M.Ed is practically worthless and PGCE or PGDE is the main ticket to be a teacher in UK or Europe. The first time in my life I have to understand that a Post Graduate Certificate and Diploma have more worth than a Master Degree.

I believe that PGCE and PGDE are very difficult things to do and it needs a lot of hard work to earn it because I hear a lot from some of my friends' experience. And I don't doubt that the people that have PGCE or PGDE is qualify to teach. But, why PGCE/PGDE? Why not M.Ed?

An M.Ed in the UK simply isn't a teaching qualification. It's an academic qualification that is more theoretical.

The PGCE isn't particularly about subject knowledge, it's about learning how to teach. Out if 38 weeks on the course, we spend 22 of them in schools (19 of them I the age range we plan to teach). We plan every lesson we teach, and are assessed on a weekly basis by both teachers in the school and university lecturers. You mention the M.Ed has a teaching placement- does it compare to what I just listed for the PGCE in length or workload?

If your M.Ed meets those requirements then I'd clarify that on your CV because that's not really what an M.Ed is here from my understanding.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you everyone - sorry can't quote everyone. I do feel bad if I refuse to give him a lift so I decide to continue and to see how it goes. I have 2 kids so I feel the need to stay in school to finish work and also my only freedom is when I am actually in my car. I feel no freedom when I have this commitment and also sometimes I just want to go to supermarket or this place or that place before I get home..

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no reason you can't say that to him that you won't be going straight home because you want to go shopping or whatever - I think that the passenger should work around you as the driver
Original post by Samus2
There's no reason you can't say that to him that you won't be going straight home because you want to go shopping or whatever - I think that the passenger should work around you as the driver

Very much this. OP is doing him a favour, not the other way round.
Original post by vina.murray
Hello,

Yeah, as mentioned, in the UK an M. Ed is about studying education, rather than specifically learning to be a good teacher. It doesn't necessarily involve any placements where you have to teach, it would just be about research. Some people do an M. Ed while teaching after gaining QTS, but QTS is the big thing you must have to teach in any local authority controlled school in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start teaching tomorrow!

I am pretty hyped!

I am assured as my lesson is planned well!

Just to keep the behaviour in check and order!
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question regarding the assignment. We have a micro teaching next week back in uni and we have to submit all the scheme of work, lesson plans, resources, etc. I can see some very useful resources on the TES forum and I was thinking to use some of the ideas there.. do you think this will be considered as plagiarism?
Thanks!
Hi everyone, I just have a quick question regarding the assignment. We have a micro teaching next week back in uni and we have to submit all the scheme of work, lesson plans, resources, etc. I can see some very useful resources on the TES forum and I was thinking to use some of the ideas there.. do you think this will be considered as plagiarism?
Thanks!

TES is an excellent place for resources, especially for beginning teachers. In your real practice you will definitely use it, and I imagine this assignment wool permit it, too. Just be sure that you interpret it in your own way to match your teaching style.

Might just be worth emailing your tutor to check, though.
Thanks!

We were allowed to but it's one of those things thats uni specific. Just check in with your tutors.
Reply 7493
Original post by Samus2

I would definitely agree with this. I'm lucky this placement I don't need to worry about a passenger, I'd rather not have the hassle... I go in earlier and can leave later if need be, without having to accommodate anyone else. Personally with sciences, I do feel I need more time to do prep - practicals run throughs etc..

I totally understand the stress aspect, well in as much as, the time driving can be a stress reliever... Time to chill without having to make idle chat chat, which may be a distraction if you want to work out some things, in your head, on the drive in.

Our uni places drivers further, and non drivers within a reasonable public transport commute. I doubt I'd want the hassle of ferrying someone to and fro, particularly if it added to my travel time.

Maybe suggest they make their own way back a few afternoons, as you want to stay in school a bit. Alternatively you may want to head in earlier, which may not suit them.

When push comes to shove, don't compromise your experience by overly accommodating a passenger... Well IMO anyway.
You've made it to half term! Congratulations, the PGCE is hard and exhausting(and exciting as you already found out!), so the most important target(before anything else) in your PGCE is to survive.You cannot cope if you are planning detailed lesson plans until midnight every day( those countless nights creating card sorts that were never used).Your well-being is the most important, I learned that the hard way.

You are all doing great, keep up the good stuff!
How many Teacher Standards are there?

I am trying to sort out my teaching file...........
Original post by xjay1234
How many Teacher Standards are there?

I am trying to sort out my teaching file...........

8 :smile:
Thanks Red Lightning! (I tried to quote but apparently my phone can't cope with that)

This thread certainly seems quieter than last years. Not sure if that's a good ot bad sign?! I feel like I haven't been able to do much yet, as my school wanted me strictly observing/helping in a TA type way until after half term and then I'll be building up to 9 lessons a week over 2-3 weeks. In some ways it's nice but in others I'd like to get stuck straight in!
Original post by magic_box
Thanks Red Lightning! (I tried to quote but apparently my phone can't cope with that)

This thread certainly seems quieter than last years. Not sure if that's a good ot bad sign?! I feel like I haven't been able to do much yet, as my school wanted me strictly observing/helping in a TA type way until after half term and then I'll be building up to 9 lessons a week over 2-3 weeks. In some ways it's nice but in others I'd like to get stuck straight in!

To be honest, its your first placement. You will have less time observing in your second placement(even less in your NQT year), so enjoy it while you still can!
Reply 7499
If we can't (or don't want to) get a job after PGCE do we have to repay the bursary? Hopefully i enjoy it (which i am, really enjoying actually) and secure a job, but what if forever reason we don't?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending