The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dragonfly07
It's funny to see how people stopped posting after they started getting their second placements..

My Easter break just started and I'm unable to enjoy it because I'm so stressed. I woke up realising that I forgot to man the detention I set my year 10 class yesterday (last day of term) Have you ever heard of a teacher forgetting to turn up for detention??

More often than you think!
I did not realise I had a cover lesson until the last 10 minutes of it, I'm sure Year 11s will remember me for this! :biggrin:

We are only human.
How are people doing for jobs? I just secured my first one this week. In year 6! Before the lesson I had never taught above year 3 before, but I am excited to start.
Well done JamieInPompey!
I've got my secondary science job sorted out for the school where I'm currently on placement so it feels like a really, really long induction (in a good way). 🤗
Original post by JamieInPompey
How are people doing for jobs? I just secured my first one this week. In year 6! Before the lesson I had never taught above year 3 before, but I am excited to start.

Well done! As a current NQT in Year 6, I'm happy to give you advice or (if you want) warnings!! 2-form entry school, or 1?
Motivation to finish final assignment is none existent. 2500 words isn't a problem. Creating, gathering, annotating and scanning the supporting evidence is taking forever :albertein:
Original post by JaneBaratheon
Motivation to finish final assignment is none existent. 2500 words isn't a problem. Creating, gathering, annotating and scanning the supporting evidence is taking forever :albertein:

Keep going! Not long now!
I attempted an FE PGCE a couple of years ago (I was unable to complete it due the course being very poorly organised which had an impact on my mental health). I'm better now and considering applying somewhere else to complete the course but I'm worried that it'll be too much for me. Any advice please?
Original post by gemmam
I attempted an FE PGCE a couple of years ago (I was unable to complete it due the course being very poorly organised which had an impact on my mental health). I'm better now and considering applying somewhere else to complete the course but I'm worried that it'll be too much for me. Any advice please?

I'm so pleased to read this! Glad you're feeling ready to finish it off :biggrin:

Contact your course provider and let them know that you have mental health stuff that could creep back in again when stressed. I was honest with mine and it made a world of difference regarding assessments. Don't let yourself work too much. I know that's easier said than done as a teacher (I'm NQT +1 now and just recovering from four months off for what was pretty much a breakdown), but working too hard and not disclosing conditions are the absolute worst thing you can do.

Remember that it's possible to extend a placement so if you need that to take a bit of pressure off yourself then go for it. You've seen what a badly managed course looks like and from what I can remember badly managed doesn't quite cover it. You may find you thrive with a course that actually works for you.

Good luck!
Could I please moan for a bit?...
Cut my thumb pretty badly so it's numb, need surgery, couldn't have happened at a worse time!:frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lantan
Could I please moan for a bit?...
Cut my thumb pretty badly so it's numb, need surgery, couldn't have happened at a worse time!:frown:

Ouch. How did you do it?
Original post by tory88
Ouch. How did you do it?

Glass cafetiere shattered in my hands - yuk!
We're almost there! I just submitted my final self assessment AND got the results from my final assignments. Only 3 more weeks to go!!
Original post by Hanzing
I want to come and give you a big hug! The PGCE is hardcore.. It took me weeks after I finally finished just to sleep and get back to normal after months of flat out working. The amount your expected to take in abosrb and do within a short space of time is crazy. Im not going to lie, Its not going to get any better for a while but I found that when I was down to my last nerve and felt like breaking to remember why I got into it and the amazing things that happen every day that make it worth it.
After a while things do get easier, planning gets quicker, you begin to build a knowledge base that is easier to draw from..what to do/ideas etc and gather some amazing resources and help along the way. Even the assignments get a bit better (I'd agree on the essay writing wise its definately into masters territory which can take a while to get used to)
Make sure you give yourself sometime away from it all,otherwise you will go crazy!

Hello I have been teaching Geography in an Independent school for three months and I am awaiting to hear from UCAS and the choice of schools I have made about any interviews. At present I am preparing to respond to possible questions. Can anyone tell me more about preparing for this.

But I can also relate to lesson plan and its true when you have a bee of resources it certainly helps. Like many things the more you gain real life experience it becomes more manageable. Challenges are always there because life and people can be challenging at all times.

The problem is that classroom management is hard because you have so many diverse spectrum of students and they can come with really difficult domestic situation and then there are students with challenging individual behaviour that they want to challenge the school and you and that can be hard to tackle etc. It depends on the school and how well they have organised themselves and what form of discipline they have enforced inside the school.

It seems strange my daughters deputy head teacher told students that the queen was coming to visit their school because it was so fantastic and he dressed up as the queen pretending to be her to win students over. The school is Michaela community school and they have achieved amazingly high Ofsted results.

look forward to hearing from someone.
Hello,

I am a student at the University College, London (UCL) doing my masters in The Psychology of Education at the Institute of Education. I am conducting a study focusing on analysing how teachers and teacher trainee’s respond to pupil interaction in the school environment. This will involve participants answering a few questions based on hypothetical scenarios centered around pupil interaction in the school environment. This study will be able to provide more insight into how teachers and trainees would likely respond to student’s interactions and in turn inform teaching practices for a more effective school environment. This area of research is fairly new and could bring certain practices into light that could help strengthen teacher-student relationships Participation in this study is completely voluntary and participants can withdraw from the study at any given time during the course of the study and after. Data collected from this study will be completely anonymous and will not be shared beyond myself and my supervisor . The study will involve answering an online questionnaire and should take no more than 25 mins. If you would like to take part in this study, pls send me a message and I would be happy to send you the link to the online questionnaire.

Thank you
Original post by princessnavi22
Owww I'm sorry.. I completed my PGCE last year and I was constantly tired.. getting up at 5.30am to be in school for 7am, working at school til 5, getting home at 6.. working till 11pm at the earliest and then doing it aaaaall over again the next day.. I do not envy you one bit!

But trust me, the end result is worth it! You'll get there, and I actually miss my PGCE year now, it was hard work but the most fun I've ever had!

I now have my own class and they're fantastic, focus on what you want to achieve and you'll get there! And make time at the weekend for a little time for yourself, every night as my little 'treat' I would light a candle in the bathroom and have a lovely shower and spoil myself.. buy some nice shampoo and body wash etc.. that will perk you up a bit, small things like that really help lift your mood :smile:

Are you primary?

If you want any advice, resources or even some plans depending on what year group you're in, I really don't mind helping! I got Outstanding grade for my PGCE so I'm more than happy offering any advice if you want.. or just listening to you moan if you feel crap, I've been there so I know how tough it is.. chin up! x

Hi
I am looking for someone who can help me to write my assignment about Evidence-Based practice.I dont mind to pay for it as I really stuck to write and focused.
thanks
Original post by kohler
I'm sure it will get better as you go along and get more training and experience. The first few months of any job/ course are the most challenging.

You could always be ill and in hospital, or stuck on benefits, or have been rejected and not on a pgce course.

I think you should realise how lucky you are. Nothing worth doing is easy. Grit your teeth and get stuck in to it!

Hello, i am currently doing pgce from sutton scitt, can they actually ask us to drop the course if we are not progressing
Original post by princessnavi22
Owww I'm sorry.. I completed my PGCE last year and I was constantly tired.. getting up at 5.30am to be in school for 7am, working at school til 5, getting home at 6.. working till 11pm at the earliest and then doing it aaaaall over again the next day.. I do not envy you one bit!

But trust me, the end result is worth it! You'll get there, and I actually miss my PGCE year now, it was hard work but the most fun I've ever had!

I now have my own class and they're fantastic, focus on what you want to achieve and you'll get there! And make time at the weekend for a little time for yourself, every night as my little 'treat' I would light a candle in the bathroom and have a lovely shower and spoil myself.. buy some nice shampoo and body wash etc.. that will perk you up a bit, small things like that really help lift your mood :smile:

Are you primary?

If you want any advice, resources or even some plans depending on what year group you're in, I really don't mind helping! I got Outstanding grade for my PGCE so I'm more than happy offering any advice if you want.. or just listening to you moan if you feel crap, I've been there so I know how tough it is.. chin up! x

Hi I have online interview for pgce primary tomorrow. Are you able to give advice on interview questions and written tasks please? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending