The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89
Struggled this afternoon with the class. Nothing major but they are serious fuss pots. I had 6 without PE kits. One of whom waited until everyone else was changed before mentioning it, despite my standing by the box of spare kit handing things out for ages lol. It took them nearly 15 minutes to get changed!

My teacher says I need to 'show my teeth'. That is the goal for tomorrow...

I am finding it a bit odd. I have two TAs some days plus the teacher has been using the time to do some one-to-one sessions with some of the SEN pupils. So, for quite a few mornings, I have three other adults in the classroom. It is a bit of a shock to the system lol.
Tomorrow afternoon I have the class all to myself though, so hopefully it will go well. I feel more relaxed, even though I am probably no different with the kids. I suppose you just feel like you are being judged when other adults are watching lol. :redface:

I've always ended up with at least 3 other adults watching on all my placements so far! I guess that's early years though, more staff! I am looking forward to getting some time with just me and a class for a change!

Ended up teaching my first lesson on this placement today as the supply teacher didn't turn up! Went well, I have behaviour management sorted, it's just actual teaching and assessment now! :tongue:
Original post by noodles!
Genius, absolute genius.

Now, how to get away with taking a hammer into school... guess throwing it on the floor and stampting on it would do the trick!

Chuck it out of the window if you're high up?

I can always remember one of my teachers setting someone's homework on fire. Only it was some plain paper instead.
3 is to implement a three strikes, you're out policy for once in my life. I need to put a positive slant on it at some point though, so have ordered some counters- 3 to each student, one gets taken away per warning and can be earned for good work. Each multiple of 3 at end of lesson gets a sticker.

Are you actually going to give them the counters? I can see that being a big sticking point and something that could escalate problems, if they refuse to give them to you....
Original post by FadeToBlackout
Are you actually going to give them the counters? I can see that being a big sticking point and something that could escalate problems, if they refuse to give them to you....

I assumed that they meant on the board - say in the bottom corner. Reading back, I don't know why I assumed that though lol. :redface:
I really, really, really hate writing job application letters. It's due in at 1pm tomorrow (because I cocked up remembering when the closing date was). Grrr. I started applying for this job at half five today.... and I've not quite finished. </rant>
I really, really, really hate writing job application letters. It's due in at 1pm tomorrow (because I cocked up remembering when the closing date was). Grrr. I started applying for this job at half five today.... and I've not quite finished. </rant>

I hear that! Good luck! My main bugbear is the school visits, I understand they are important but why can't they be after school! :s-smilie: It's a struggle getting time off placement.

Was probably a daft idea yeah, I wanted a physical representation because I don't know all names yet(!), but actually I know the very naughty ones and just saying "warning one/two/three" to them works because I know who I've pointed at.

I had a win with the class today, as I set the level of the work right and they were as happy as larry! Granted it was a worksheet but that's how the teacher does it! They were very fussy and demanding (there were 3 adults in the room too!) but all working (even the hardcore lazy one as the language assistant was next to her), and they got their first step towards their prize for the "class quiet" warnings! (mainly because I only had to ask them to be quiet around 3 times anyway haha).

So my day in school ended well, but then on the way home after a department meeting someone jumped in front of my train :frown: So it's now 8.30, I've been back 15 minutes and still have to make powerpoints for 2 lessons tomorrow, fortunately I was able to plan exactly what needs to go in them on the train so I just have to get them made, not sure what the quality of the lessons will be but at the minute only vaguely care!

(sorry that wasn't just directed at you but couldn't stop typing!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Friday tomorrow at long last!!

Has anyone heard of Mouse Mayhem, the add-on for Powerpoint? We had a training conference thing this afternoon and were shown it- it's amazing! Like those expensive answer systems so that students can interact with quizzes but just requires wireless mice. I want a set!
Reply 1148
Yeah the teacher is quite laissez-faire. It's a girls' grammar (!) so they are all either privileged enough to have phones/mp3 players, and just share with their friends who haven't. There were no issues in that respect.

I have them tomorrow- I have some stuff to try out/enforce, lesson content is much less important (lesson is based on a differentiated worksheet so most of the time the good ones can be independent)

1 is the phone ban of course, though this wasn't an issue in the normal classroom. And along those lines I need to make sure I don't seem intimidated in any way!

2 is a new positive strategy to get them to shut up when I want (I can't stand being spoken over either)- 1-3 on the board, these are three chances to be quiet in time when I ask for quiet and count down from five. If they aren't, I cross one out. If I haven't crossed all three out by the end of the lesson (ie. if they've responded quickly enough), I note that down and after three lessons where that happens they all get a small reward.

3 is to implement a three strikes, you're out policy for once in my life. I need to put a positive slant on it at some point though, so have ordered some counters- 3 to each student, one gets taken away per warning and can be earned for good work. Each multiple of 3 at end of lesson gets a sticker.

I found it harder to control or to enforce discipline in the grammar school. It might have been because it was my first placement, but I had more issues with it then than I do at my school now where the behaviour is 100times worse. I would much rather a pupil tell me to f*** off than try and out smart me. I don't know if you feel the same - but thought it might make you feel better!

I found that any sort of threat of getting parents involved, or simply picking up their diary and taking it to my desk would shut them up instantly. (The school had a policy of writing in their h/w diaries if they were misbehaving so other teacher and their parents would see it.) That wouldn't work on some pupils at the school I'm at now but it worked at the grammar.
I have an interview! Not a teaching post (boohoo!) but it's a summer job co-ordinating holiday clubs for children with special needs in my borough! It's a start, fingers crossed for Tuesday please! :smile:
That's brilliant balloon_parade, best of luck!
I am at my lowest point since starting the course. I'm just so stressed about my last placement. I'm starting to doubt that I can do it. I'm having crazy thoughts/fantasies about quitting the course and am dreading the next 6 weeks. I've never been so anxious. :frown:
Original post by *Darcie*
I am at my lowest point since starting the course. I'm just so stressed about my last placement. I'm starting to doubt that I can do it. I'm having crazy thoughts/fantasies about quitting the course and am dreading the next 6 weeks. I've never been so anxious. :frown:

You can do it! 6 weeks is nothing, 30 days! Keep going. If you couldn't do it you wouldn't have got in! Keep going! Let us know if we can help!

Same. I've been fine throughout the course, and then last Sunday I just broke; it came from nowhere. I've been a crying shaking wreck all week and hardly able to eat because of stomach ache.. I have 23 teaching days left and that's all I'm focussing on tight now.
Original post by balloon_parade
You can do it! 6 weeks is nothing, 30 days! Keep going. If you couldn't do it you wouldn't have got in! Keep going! Let us know if we can help!

I honestly think I slipped through the net somehow!
I honestly think I slipped through the net somehow!

Don't be silly! What's the major source of your stress? How can that be resolved?
Don't be silly! What's the major source of your stress? How can that be resolved?

I don't know really. I started my placement last Mon and this massive cloud of self doubt just descended for no reason in particular. Last placement was in KS1 & now in EYFS and it's so different I feel a bit lost.
I don't know really. I started my placement last Mon and this massive cloud of self doubt just descended for no reason in particular. Last placement was in KS1 & now in EYFS and it's so different I feel a bit lost.

It takes some getting used to doesn't it! My first two placements were in EYFS so I have some experience of it! Don't doubt yourself though, just grit your teeth and keep going!
It takes some getting used to doesn't it! My first two placements were in EYFS so I have some experience of it! Don't doubt yourself though, just grit your teeth and keep going!

I know that's what I have to do, it would be crazy to drop out at this stage. July can't come fast enough though! Thanks for listening. :smile:
Original post by jaime1986
Same. I've been fine throughout the course, and then last Sunday I just broke; it came from nowhere. I've been a crying shaking wreck all week and hardly able to eat because of stomach ache.. I have 23 teaching days left and that's all I'm focussing on tight now.

Sorry, missed this post. I'm the same, just concentrating on getting through the next six weeks. Don't even want to apply for jobs atm as I don't feel like I can handle the extra pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending