The Student Room Group

Night shift. Would You Do It?

I used to work a night shift at the matalan warehouse. 10pm-6am. the people there were great and I made some very good friends. the work was not to bad either, I was working on the goods-in department. Basically this involved me loading and unloading goods onto matalan trucks, and also involved work on conveyor-belts and pallets. We had the UK top 40singles playing each night from the ceiling which we would all sing-along to. we would begin work at 10pm and take our first 20minute break from about 2am. then the next break was at 3:30am which lasted until have an hour. so for 8hour shift we only had about 50minutes break all in all.
2months ago I packed in this job because I didn't know if it would effect my sleeping pattern's in the long term. Also doing that shift meant hardly any time for night's out. So I re-attended college and got a place at level 1 administration course in college. I am due to finish that course in June 2011. I wanted to know what the night shift is like in the asda supermarket or something similar. 10pm-6am. does it mess up your sleeping patterns?
Reply 1
A friend of mine used to do night shifts at a big Sainsbury's, stacking overnight. He said it was ok and that the money was ok, but he did find it tiresome after a while.

I think you generally would find it tiresome after a while.
Reply 2
Original post by Jenny_Jazz
A friend of mine used to do night shifts at a big Sainsbury's, stacking overnight. He said it was ok and that the money was ok, but he did find it tiresome after a while.

I think you generally would find it tiresome after a while.

I'll look into that. Thank you Jenny-Jazz
Reply 3
Original post by markberry91
I'll look into that. Thank you Jenny-Jazz

No problem, good luck!
Reply 4
Many scientific studies have shown the negative effects night-shift workers experience, but it's not going to kill you so if you enjoy the job and want/need the money then it's fine.
Reply 5
I do 10-6 night shifts in the holidays, and I find it easy enough to change my sleeping pattern back to normal afterwards.
I couldn't do it myself unless it was all I was doing, so no uni etc. But I won't work evenings or weekends either.
Reply 7
Original post by markberry91
I wanted to know what the night shift is like in the asda supermarket or something similar. 10pm-6am. does it mess up your sleeping patterns?

Not sure about hours but when i was doing nights at Sainsbury's it was 9pm to 7am. The money was pretty good, just under £80 per night, but it was very hard work (especially if you are male, they tend to put you on heavier aisles like drinks and pet food) I also worked at one of the Royal Mail delivery centres over night and it sounds very similar to your Matalan work.

I think working in the supermarkets varies depending on the store you go to and the time of the year, for me i was flat out all the time, but when i go to other supermarkets the night staff seem incredibly relaxed and took their time. As for sleeping patterns after I left I managed to get back to normal within a week with no long term issues.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by westy89
Not sure about hours but when i was doing nights at Sainsbury's it was 9pm to 7am. The money was pretty good, just under £80 per night, but it was very hard work (especially if you are male, they tend to put you on heavier aisles like drinks and pet food) I also worked at one of the Royal Mail delivery centres over night and it sounds very similar to your Matalan work.

I think working in the supermarkets varies depending on the store you go to and the time of the year, for me i was flat out all the time, but when i go to other supermarkets the night staff seem incredibly relaxed and took their time. As for sleeping patterns after I left I managed to get back to normal within a week with no long term issues.

Thanks mate I'll look into it further
i've worked nights for just over a year, it is flexible hours though and part time. But over the summer I worked close to full time hours and it can make your sleeping patterns awkward, but the human body/mind is far more flexible than people realise. It's nothing you can't reset simply.
Reply 10
Well, the money's better, but you're social life is ruined.

It won't permenantly mess up your sleep pattern either, those things can always be fixed.
I would and sometimes do, ive found if i do it for more than a week one allnighter ie dont sleep when you get in from work until around 10pm that night followed by being up before 9am sorts my sleeping pattern out
I would, money is usually far better on night shifts.
Reply 13
I worked nights in a supermarket for 2 years before changing jobs 18 months ago. I am about to go back to supermarket night shift work.

Even after 18 months I find that if I stay up beyind midnight, I then feel wide awake and cannot get to sleep when I eventually get to bed. This is the only problem I've had and it is easily dealt with by going to bed before midnight.

My previous job was hard, physical work, but I found that made the time pass very quickly. I was working on the fresh and frozen foods departments, which were obviously very cold. Sometimes also I was expected to unload lorries outside, which sometimes meant getting very cold and wet. It also sometimes meant getting to watch the sun come up or the occasional fantastic thunderstorm, so it was far from all bad!

Some supermarkets expect you to work 10-hour shifts, which means that full time is only 4 nights, which gives you more free days. You might want to pick your supermarket carefully, as some are open all night. It's much easier to work without the customers there.
I worked nights in a care home, 9.45pm - 7.45am
I'd happily do it again, pay was fantastic, and it was a lot more slower paced.
Didn't affect my sleep patterns at all, but I wasn't always on nights. One week was a night shift, another week was morning/night shifts
Reply 15
Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending