The Student Room Group

TSR Iraqi Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by >Anna<
Well, we're mostly very nice so hopefully when you meet one they'll be a good representative. I should also say that not all Lebanese people are like you've experienced; one of my closest friends is Lebanese!

Yeah, sounds good. Don't worry, I don't tend to make up my mind until I've met a few - you always meet the odd tosser.

No, I'm sure! I just haven't had good experiences with the overriding majority of them, the same with Syrians, Egyptians (although I do know a few decent ones) kaza, kaza, kaza...
HEY GUYS,can i ask a couple of questions;
what was iraq like under Saddam, did the republican guard just slaughter random people?

Also how bad is it now, is the insurgency mostly gone?
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Both are fairly easy to learn. Kurdish (there are 2 dialects) uses the Latin script. Farsi uses the Arabic script with some extra letters. I did a Farsi course last year, and was very easy to pick up for an Arabic speaker. The grammar is very straightforward too, unlike the nightmare that is Arabic.

Since you've already experienced Kurds, I'd go with farsi - Iran will be a really nice place for you to visit - apart from the terrible bureaucracy. Beautiful landscapes, beautiful women (you'll have it easy there), and really nice historical places.

Kurdish uses the Latin script? :confused: I know there's the 2 dialects, but I thought it used the Farsi alphabet (or similiar...)

I think it might be Farsi, since I can't do modules in both dialects. Oh, and yes, you're right, Arabic is a nightmare!
Original post by AwsomePossum
HEY GUYS,can i ask a couple of questions;
what was iraq like under Saddam, did the republican guard just slaughter random people?

Also how bad is it now, is the insurgency mostly gone?

Have a look at this video :frown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcABO9oBius
Reply 184
Original post by ChaoticSkills
yes Turks are rough :rolleyes: what hypocrisy bla bla bla

for what it's worth, this Iraqi absolutely seviyorums Turks
Original post by >Anna<
Please, don't get me started :h:

I don't care if you get started, because you're going to refer to the genocide. I've acknowledged that it happened and the sooner it gets recognised internationally the better. People are blinded and dumbfounded by their own irrational customs and substandard levels of nationalism to see the truth.
I always wondered...

I heard Lionel Ritchie is absolutely MASSIVE in Iraq.

Is this actually true?! :confused:

Cheers
Original post by FiveFiveSix
Yeah, sounds good. Don't worry, I don't tend to make up my mind until I've met a few - you always meet the odd tosser.

No, I'm sure! I just haven't had good experiences with the overriding majority of them, the same with Syrians, Egyptians (although I do know a few decent ones) kaza, kaza, kaza...

Yep, you definitely do! So are you studying Arabic with a view to living in the ME?

Original post by ChaoticSkills
I don't care if you get started, because you're going to refer to the genocide. I've acknowledged that it happened and the sooner it gets recognised internationally the better. People are blinded and dumbfounded by their own irrational customs and substandard levels of nationalism to see the truth.

Hmm, you surprise me.
Kurdish uses the Latin script? :confused: I know there's the 2 dialects, but I thought it used the Farsi alphabet (or similiar...)

I think it might be Farsi, since I can't do modules in both dialects. Oh, and yes, you're right, Arabic is a nightmare!

The arabic script is used in Iraq and Iran, but I believe the latin script is known widely. There are lots of learning materials in the latin script. Probably best to ask a Kurd, all the ones Ive known generally use the latin script.
Original post by Whatever9999

thats pretty bad have you seen this yourself? Was Saddam better than what the coalition had done.
Im very sorry such a beautiful city has been ruined :frown:
:rofl: Not to my knowledge, but I'm not the best person to ask so we'll see what the others say.

Where did you hear that?!
Original post by >Anna<
Yep, you definitely do! So are you studying Arabic with a view to living in the ME?

God knows. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but the more time I spend out in the Middle East and with Arabs, the more I realise I have absolutely no idea!

The dream is working for the Sultan of Oman though, after a few years kicking around the world in the service of Liz the Boss.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
The arabic script is used in Iraq and Iran, but I believe the latin script is known widely. There are lots of learning materials in the latin script. Probably best to ask a Kurd, all the ones Ive known generally use the latin script.

Mmm, all the buildings in Kurdistan had Farsi-like letters on them...
Original post by AwsomePossum
thats pretty bad have you seen this yourself? Was Saddam better than what the coalition had done.
Im very sorry such a beautiful city has been ruined :frown:

yes i have i lived all my life in iraq, baghdad i saw the war i saw everything and my family went through alot !!
yeah saddam was better than all of them RIP i dont understand why some people hate him we had the best life before 2003 we had homes, hospitals and life ?!?!
my family are all around the world right now :frown::frown:
God knows. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but the more time I spend out in the Middle East and with Arabs, the more I realise I have absolutely no idea!

The dream is working for the Sultan of Oman though, after a few years kicking around the world in the service of Liz the Boss.

Aha, Liz the Boss. I like. I referred to her as Liz the other day and no one got the reference :sigh:
Why the Sultan of Oman?
Original post by mare?
for what it's worth, this Iraqi absolutely seviyorums Turks

Nice to hear :smile:
Original post by >Anna<
Aha, Liz the Boss. I like. I referred to her as Liz the other day and no one got the reference :sigh:
Why the Sultan of Oman?

Because Oman is awesome, he's a pretty decent guy and I've met a lot of ex-Forces guys living the life of riley out here.

He seems to be a pretty decent guy to work for, and the lifestyle is awesome. After I've done my bit for HM, I might look at doing something for myself for once :biggrin:

Right, my battery is dying. Chat to you lot tomorrow!
Reply 197
Serious? An Iraqi Society? Haha, I didn't think we're THAT many here. Well, I'm only quarter Iraqi, but hey, at least I can speak Arabic in the Iraqi dialect quite well :wink:

InshaAllah kulkum zeaneen!
Original post by OceanSoul
Serious? An Iraqi Society? Haha, I didn't think we're THAT many here. Well, I'm only quarter Iraqi, but hey, at least I can speak Arabic in the Iraqi dialect quite well :wink:

InshaAllah kulkum zeaneen!

eeeeeeee anotherrr iraqiiii :P ahlaaaaaan w sahlaaaan
nooo nooo there is alot of us
we will make it the biggest societyyyy :cool:

aniiii zeeeenaaa
entaaaa ?!?!
Reply 199
Original post by Whatever9999
yes i have i lived all my life in iraq, baghdad i saw the war i saw everything and my family went through alot !!
yeah saddam was better than all of them RIP i dont understand why some people hate him we had the best life before 2003 we had homes, hospitals and life ?!?!
my family are all around the world right now :frown::frown:

are you actually serious?

Quick Reply

Latest