The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
sirwin
I'm posting quite a bit these days, lol, anyways

I read most threads and see people talking about the 'best' unis. The truth is I wont get AAA, I'm more ABB...or at the worst ABC.

Can anyone suggest some universities for law that would be sufficient considering these grades. I really wanna read law, but I feel kinda out of place with all these high grades, and mine which aint so much...

Don't know about entrance grades or law, but solid red bricks? :
Birmingham,
Liverpool,
Manchester (although personally I didn't fancy the road through the middle of it),
Queen's Belfast,
Edinborough.
I'd look into Liverpool and Queen's if I was you, although I do remember someone commenting negatively on Queen's course. But you never know. My cousin goes to Aberdeen (she's Scottish) and enjoys accounting there. I think their grades are fairly low and they have really good business associations...
There's also Newcastle and my dad went to Lancaster...
Lancaster and Manchester will have high entrance requirements and Edinborough is really competitive.
Sorry I'm unorganised. Good luck.
P.s. hope this isn't to late. :rolleyes: .
Reply 21
they say you can get to Queens Belfast with AAB
Reply 22
Wouldn't bet on it; they do give some AAB offers (I got one) but I doubt you'd get one without straight A predictions and good GCSE grades.
Reply 23
If you wont get AAA, try places like Nottingham Trent, Wolves, Essex, Southampton etc. They may not be quite as well respected, but people know where they are and have heard of them.
Reply 24
Liverpool makes it's M100 LLB offers at AAB, although I think if you want to do the Double Maitrise you need AAA with an A in French.
Reply 25
I still think Dundee looks pretty sound!!! what universities ask for AAA, but really will let ya in with lower grades? leeds?
I disagree - I'm at Leeds Met (for my sins) and I've got a training contract with a City firm. It's all about grades, work experience, voluntary work, extra-curricular activities, and the ability to formulate convincing answers to the 264 questions the firms ask on the forms!!

However, I will agree that going to a red brick will make the whole thing a hundred times easier - friend of mine is at Cambridge, got interviewed at every firm she applied to, despite her grades not being as good as mine and having much less `extras` on her CV such as voluntary work.

But it is possible to be successful if you're not a red brick student :smile:
Reply 27
sirwin
they say you can get to Queens Belfast with AAB

they say that but they won't, Queen's are so stiff with their offers and alot of courses ask for more than their English counterparts do.
Reply 28
LucyMP
Kent were my insurance choice. I think they offer ABB, and although they're a 60s university, they're held in fairly high regard and offer extras such as the law clinic.

Hey! I've just got an interview with view to give me a "special offer" at Kent. I really don't know that much about it??? It was put down 4 insurance but its in the top 17 for law and i've heard nothing else so.... :confused:

Is there anyone at Kent uni who could say whether they seem likely to give me an offer from this or not? Plus, i'd love to know what it's like there... :p:
The "special offer" thing means they like you and want to make you a lower offer than normal.

They did this with me - they offered me BBB.
Reply 30
ellewoods
I disagree - I'm at Leeds Met (for my sins) and I've got a training contract with a City firm. It's all about grades, work experience, voluntary work, extra-curricular activities, and the ability to formulate convincing answers to the 264 questions the firms ask on the forms!!

However, I will agree that going to a red brick will make the whole thing a hundred times easier - friend of mine is at Cambridge, got interviewed at every firm she applied to, despite her grades not being as good as mine and having much less `extras` on her CV such as voluntary work.

But it is possible to be successful if you're not a red brick student :smile:

I'd agree that it isn't impossible but just makes life a bit harder. Which firm are you going to?
LucyMP
The "special offer" thing means they like you and want to make you a lower offer than normal.

Nottigham did this for me and offered me BBB for Economics - it's caused no end of abuse on the economics thread as people have said its impossible to get special offers and have called me a liar. :frown:
Reply 32
LucyMP

Thanx 4 clearing that up 4 me. I thought "special offer" sounded like something u get at Tesco!
Are you at Kent uni then? If so plz tell me how the interview went and what kind of things they want to know??? :redface:

--------------

threecolours
Nottigham did this for me and offered me BBB for Economics - it's caused no end of abuse on the economics thread as people have said its impossible to get special offers and have called me a liar. :frown:

Don't worry. I know you're not lying. I've seen a "special offer" with my own eyes! :eek:
Vitriol01
I'd agree that it isn't impossible but just makes life a bit harder. Which firm are you going to?

I've sent you a PM :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending