The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeships 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Fordy87
I hope you get your certificates sorted, be a shame to miss out because of that!

I start on the 8th march, really can't wait now!!

Melba, do you stay in a hotel or do they have accommodation on site? How long are the days? What's there to do in the evening?

You stay onsite, its all in one big complex. Errrm the days vary from like 9-3, and erm 8 til 6 like i did today! bloody customer wiring! But to be fair, when its a long day you're usually too busy to notice! In the evening, all there is really is a pool table, bar and a few snooker tables. Oh, theres a gym too but don't forget trainers and stuff cos i did :s-smilie:

After the first few nights, its pretty boring so someone brought a poker set up and we played a few games, but really you make what you want of it! Deffinately stay up and chat to the people in your group, id have gone insane if i hadnt!

It's good fun though, make the most of the pole climbing, cos once youre in the classroom you'll be wishing you were back outside, it's really awesome :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by melba
You stay onsite, its all in one big complex. Errrm the days vary from like 9-3, and erm 8 til 6 like i did today! bloody customer wiring! But to be fair, when its a long day you're usually too busy to notice! In the evening, all there is really is a pool table, bar and a few snooker tables. Oh, theres a gym too but don't forget trainers and stuff cos i did :s-smilie:

After the first few nights, its pretty boring so someone brought a poker set up and we played a few games, but really you make what you want of it! Deffinately stay up and chat to the people in your group, id have gone insane if i hadnt!

It's good fun though, make the most of the pole climbing, cos once youre in the classroom you'll be wishing you were back outside, it's really awesome :smile:

That's alright then,I expected the hours to be along those lines. Pool table, bar and gym is all I will need haha! Do you share rooms and do then have tv's in them, was thinking if so to take my xbox, have a little fifa tournament haha, be a good way to get everyone together! When you out in the real world then?
Reply 82
Original post by Fordy87
That's alright then,I expected the hours to be along those lines. Pool table, bar and gym is all I will need haha! Do you share rooms and do then have tv's in them, was thinking if so to take my xbox, have a little fifa tournament haha, be a good way to get everyone together! When you out in the real world then?

Nooo you have your own room with a TV in it, theres about 12 channels. but tbf you dont really get much time to watch it!! haha, the best thing to do with your x box is ask at reception to borrow a projector then take it to the lounge in your accommodation block and stick it on the wall! everyone had a big fifa tournament, it was pretty sweet :smile: Im out with my buddy starting monday! cant waiiiit :biggrin:
Reply 83
Original post by melba
Nooo you have your own room with a TV in it, theres about 12 channels. but tbf you dont really get much time to watch it!! haha, the best thing to do with your x box is ask at reception to borrow a projector then take it to the lounge in your accommodation block and stick it on the wall! everyone had a big fifa tournament, it was pretty sweet :smile: Im out with my buddy starting monday! cant waiiiit :biggrin:

hi mate how long do you stay at yarnfields and what is the hotel like etc and what training are you generaly doing ??? btw thanks fordy
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
Well done to everybody so far thats been successful :biggrin:

however after reading the thread i'm gettin the impreesion bt must be starting from the south,
i'm from the north of england/borders of scotland and have yet to hear from them, i applied back in november when it first opened and after loggin in the bt page it currently says "We have kept your details on file from a previous application that you have made for BT apprenticeships and are currently considering it for our latest recruitment campaign"
after emailing bt i kinda admit been a little impatient but hey theres no harm in asking, anyways they said applications in the area are still to be reviewed.

does it usually take so long?

Dan
Reply 85
Sounds possible mate. They seem to be employing alot. It is just a waiting game for everything.

But if they say it'll be two weeks or they will contact you soon. They always fulfil what they have said. But like you i got impatient waiting around. Only called them once but all my bits are sorting (im frm south btw)
Reply 86
Sorry to tell the bad news but Friday 18th February was the last hub day of this recruitment however, they keep all applicants on record for any future recruitment processes.
Reply 87
where did you get your information about the last date?
just i know a few people who have applied and some got the same
email saying applications in my area are still yet to be reviewed and will be contacted shortly.

dan
Reply 88
Original post by rossi145
Sounds possible mate. They seem to be employing alot. It is just a waiting game for everything.

But if they say it'll be two weeks or they will contact you soon. They always fulfil what they have said. But like you i got impatient waiting around. Only called them once but all my bits are sorting (im frm south btw)

alrite mate how long after your hub day did it take them 2 get intouch with you to say you had the job? I was at a hub on the 14th and just kinda want to know either way cause im a impatient bugger lol!! cheers
Reply 89
Original post by abbas_1991
hi mate how long do you stay at yarnfields and what is the hotel like etc and what training are you generaly doing ??? btw thanks fordy

youre at yarnfield for 3 weeks, then a week out buddying at home, then at preston for 2 days, then another week at home then preston for 3 days...basically dont plan stuff cos youre gonna always be away for the next 15 weeks at least!
Reply 90
Original post by melba
youre at yarnfield for 3 weeks, then a week out buddying at home, then at preston for 2 days, then another week at home then preston for 3 days...basically dont plan stuff cos youre gonna always be away for the next 15 weeks at least!

Really? what do you go to preston for? and will this be for everyone....not that it bothers me, just purchasing a new car now i have a new job so gonna get raped with fuel haha!
Reply 91
Original post by dangill
where did you get your information about the last date?
just i know a few people who have applied and some got the same
email saying applications in my area are still yet to be reviewed and will be contacted shortly.

dan

The assessors on the day said they had done around 60 hub days and that they were finishing on that date with a 'mop-up hub day.' This is only what they had told me on that date and by the sounds of what I have read on here there have been a few changes here and there so they may still be assessing. The very latest start date for the apprenticeships is late march as they told us if we were to get the position we needed to start then. Hope this helps.
Reply 92
Original post by LewisBacon
The assessors on the day said they had done around 60 hub days and that they were finishing on that date with a 'mop-up hub day.' This is only what they had told me on that date and by the sounds of what I have read on here there have been a few changes here and there so they may still be assessing. The very latest start date for the apprenticeships is late march as they told us if we were to get the position we needed to start then. Hope this helps.

Latest start date is 21st march
Reply 93
Original post by Fordy87
Really? what do you go to preston for? and will this be for everyone....not that it bothers me, just purchasing a new car now i have a new job so gonna get raped with fuel haha!

you go for frames training in an exchange...could do it anywhere to be honest, but they just want you all in one place to get it done quicker. My trip to preston for cancelled next week though so im just continuing buddying. Its so good seeing what you learn at yarnfield actually put into practise, i've basically learnt most of the job in a week in the field, hope you like getting muddy! :biggrin:
Reply 94
Original post by Mrfq340
Latest start date is 21st march

The latest start date isn't the 21st, I got the job & I start on the 28th March, I'm from the Hemel Hempstead area
Reply 95
HI guys,

I've just sorted all my contracts and everything out and due to go away to Yarnfield next monday (28th Feb)

I thought it would be a good idea for me to write down what I get up to, its a novel thing but it will help me write what I learn, plus can be used by future apprentices to learn about the processes that you go through, as (i don't know about anyone else) I struggled to find anything other than what BT have on their website.

The link is:

www.jameswallis.comoj.com

Feel free to add anything in the comments etc.
Reply 96
Good luck guys . I start on 14th March. My contract details are complete . Do you know when details of yarnfield etc are emailed to you ?
Reply 97
Original post by melba

oh ok do you stay at yarnfieds for 3 weeks or do you get to go home for a couple of days not that it bothersme but just wanted to know also what did you get up to in your spare time while you where there ???
Reply 98
Original post by aJmes
Hey @okirk32047, I was on the same hub day as you in Leeds and only just found out that I was successful last week (after a load of messing around with passports etc.). Got a start date of 28th Feb, whens anybody elses?

I was on the hub day in leeds on 3rd of feb. i was there for the full day including the interview in the afternoon and having clothes sizes etc taken. Was anyone else there the same day and have you heard anything yet?
Reply 99
Original post by abbas_1991
oh ok do you stay at yarnfieds for 3 weeks or do you get to go home for a couple of days not that it bothersme but just wanted to know also what did you get up to in your spare time while you where there ???

week one is mon-thurdsay
week two is monday-saturday
week three is monday-saturday.

so depending on how far away you live you could go home between the second and third week, but you deffinately will after the first :smile:

When i was there, we brought poker and beer and stuff. Theres a bar/snooker room and a really weird pub in the village. Theres a gym too, but the thing you should do most is deffinately get to know the people who are in your group, makes it so much easier!

(ooooh, depending on where you live, you may be somewhere else for week 2/3. E.g. london area go to croyden, people from the north go to Harrogate then the midlands go to Yarnfield)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending