The Student Room Group

Lost receipt :(

I'm wanting to exchange a dress to a different size and take back a top from Primark. The dress was from a friend so no receipt and I have lost the receipt for the top...

Does anyone know if I will be able to exhange the dress and either exchange or refund the top without the receipts?
Reply 1
If you explain that the dress was a present then they should accept it. You don't always need a receipt, did you pay with it by card? If you did, they accept a bank statement, failing that there's no harm in asking, just as long as you haven't worn it (other than the time you tried it on :P )
Reply 2
Try and ask, as above, if you say it was a gift you might be alright to exchange, especially if it's a sizing issue. I don't think they will refund without receipt though.
Reply 3
It was paid with cash... Oh well, just have to try!
Reply 4
I'm sure I saw a sign in Primark yesterday saying they are accepting exchanges without a receipt until 31st Jan. :smile: Don't think you'll get a refund but cos of the time of year you'll probably get an exchange.. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by breakme_bambi
I'm wanting to exchange a dress to a different size and take back a top from Primark. The dress was from a friend so no receipt and I have lost the receipt for the top...

Does anyone know if I will be able to exhange the dress and either exchange or refund the top without the receipts?

If you're only wanting to exchange for a different size then they should do as long as the tickets are still on :smile:
Without the receipt you won't be able to get a refund, however.
Reply 6
Original post by Samz
I'm sure I saw a sign in Primark yesterday saying they are accepting exchanges without a receipt until 31st Jan. :smile: Don't think you'll get a refund but cos of the time of year you'll probably get an exchange.. :smile:

Ah cool, thank you!
So instead of refund for top I could exchange it for other things to same price?
Reply 7
Original post by breakme_bambi
Ah cool, thank you!
So instead of refund for top I could exchange it for other things to same price?

Yeaah, I'd think so :smile: Can't hurt ask! :biggrin:
Reply 8
They won't. I've tried and the girl looked at me if i was some sort of alien for asking for an exchange without a reciept...when clearly the item was from primark
Reply 9
I would think they would let you exchange, as look as it looks like it from primark (got the label) I've done this in many shops and it's fine.
Reply 10
I've worked in retail for a few years and I can tell you that a receipt is absolutely necessary because most shops need to input codes into the till to make the transaction valid. Phone them up and ask.
Original post by HarryA
I've worked in retail for a few years and I can tell you that a receipt is absolutely necessary because most shops need to input codes into the till to make the transaction valid. Phone them up and ask.

I work in retail too and we just scan it and swap it!
Reply 12
Often they will be happy to exchange stuff as long as it's not damaged but not refund. Not 100% on this, it varies from shop to shop, for example, I know new look allow exchanges for items with tags but without receipts. Best bet is to go in and just ask, mention it was a gift, and do it fairly soon.
Reply 13
Took the top and dress back today, dress was exchanged for different size and top was exchanged for a bag and some other bits and bobs! No problem :smile:

Thank you to those who answered!

Quick Reply

Latest