The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
If you're umming and arrring over whether to go to Cambridge or not due to the social life, you shouldn't be going to University at all.
Reply 181

Why am I always out of rep when ISA posts something?! Could someone give her an extra neg for me please? :tongue:

OP I'd do what ever feels best for you which from your post seems to be Manchester. I didn't like the atmosphere of Oxford either when I went for a look around so I can understand where you're coming from. Grats for getting accepted at both though and best of luck with whatever you choose.
Original post by innerhollow
I think the differences in career prospects would come if he was aiming for Goldman Sachs or Slaughter&May or some elite financial/legal job like that rather than CERN/NASA. Cambridge probably teach you to a higher level... but uni is also a lot of self-learning so if there are additional topics you're interested in you'd easily be able to explore this even without the Cambridgesupervision system to hold your hand while you do that.

On another note congratulations on your Cambridge offer. I thought (and still think actually) that you were mad when I saw you were applying for pretty much the three most competitive law schools for a highly competitive subject... but clearly it worked out for you so well done :top:

Yeah, you make good points. I thought of those jobs, but gave physics examples :tongue:

Why thank you sir :top2:
fortune favours the bold :pierre:

I see you've been fished with an interview. Good luck man, hopefully see you next year :crossedf:
Reply 183
Original post by TheSownRose
I sympathise that waiting to hear from them is agonising and hope you hear soon ... but it's pretty low to try and guilty OP into accepting Cambridge because you and other people would give anything to have an offer. That's going to be true of any university, some people will have applied for it as their family and some will have applied because they just liked it, or were unsure, or just because they were paying for five choices so they may as well have five.

And yet, you very rarely see people making this same 'give anything to have your place' comment if someone rejects 'lower' but still good unis like Sheffield and Birmingham. Cambridge doesn't make it special; it's a uni that anyone can apply to, even if they're not 100% sold on it.

He/She posted this to recieve people's opinion, I gave mine. Was not trying to guilt anyone into doing anything, Im sorry you interpreted it that way. I have rarely felt happier than when I recieved news of offers at other places that wer not cambridge, and will be over the moon about whaterver place I end up in. Just because I am praising Cambridge does not mean Im snobbing the others.

So going back to what this thread is acutally about, I do nnot think you would be stupid to turn down cambridge, Im just explaining why I would love to go there.
Reply 184
Original post by Blackspur

If you prefer the course at Manchester, much as it pains me to say this (because Cambridge students DO have a social life, I promise :tongue:) you should probably go for that. Because I love the NatSci course to distraction, and that was pretty much the only reason I accepted my cambridge offer after being pooled to a women's college- my college is wonderful, but AT THE TIME I didn't know that- and I still find it horribly, horribly difficult. Everyone, even the smartest people I've ever met, have moments where they seriously wonder why they're doing it, and if you're going to be thinking about how much fun you COULD be having at Manchester it's going to be doubly hard.

But don't let the internet tell you how to think. Think very, very carefully about it and make sure you make the decision that's right for YOU, not what you think you ought to be doing.

If you have any more questions about NatSci, feel free to PM me- I can also point you in a direction of a physnatsci or two if you want to talk about the physics modules.
(edited 13 years ago)
Most of the posts are about "im so academic" rather than OP's dilemma. Sorry about that OP! But this 14-year-old girl never stops surprising us! :biggrin:

Original post by Smack

Original post by yahyahyahs
I think people just neg imsoacademic for the hell of it! I didn't bother reading her post - I just went straight for the :nn: haha.

Absolutely brilliant. LOL:biggrin:
Original post by mummyperson
How can someone not want to learn physics in a beautiful college in a nobel prize winning physics department is beyond my imagining .
Perhaps success is too much for you ? A lot of people are in shock when they get their Oxbridge offer because the notion of success is so alien. I wouldnt make any quick or rash decisions and go and see both places again.:rolleyes:

Pretty sure staff at Manchester's physics department won a nobel prize very recently...
Original post by Smack

:rofl: superb.
Go to where you think you'll have the best years of your life.

You're supposed to have fun while studying.
Original post by im so academic
Based on a few hours perception?

I don't think that warrants an individual to reject on that basis alone really.

I totally agree, it's an absolute joke, and the main point is: If you really want to go somewhere with a social life or "easy" course or whatever that's great, up to you, but DON'T apply to Cambridge to a) waste a lecturer's time, b) take someone else's offer.

OP, go to Cambridge. You're making loads of assumptions about what the atmosphere will be like, when really you've only had a first impression. You have NO idea where you'll be "more comfortable", you've maybe been for a day - I thought I'd be "comfortable" at Durham in year 12, then Imperial, then UCL, now it's Bristol and definitely not Imperial, my point is minds change. You might always regret not going. And you can always transfer to Manchester if you're not happy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 190
So... where do you want to go to?
Reply 191
I would just like to congratulate "i'm so academic" for winning the award for getting the most negatives within 2 hours.

Well done :biggrin:
Tbh, you'd probably have a better time at Cambridge.

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

i agree with what you say, but you seem to defend oxbridge almost as if its your political dogma. what's gotten into you?
Reply 193

But you know what, if you care more about a pathetic social life than studying at one of the finest institutions in the world, then **** off to Manchester.

God sake's, I just don't know why people imply as if you can't have fun, you can't go out etc etc at Oxbridge. FFS.

Look, go to Cambridge, if you hate it, transfer to Manchester. But if you go to Manchester, you can't transfer to Cambridge; so you might as well go to Cambridge.

I'm disgusted that someone would choose a university over either Oxford or Cambridge because of the social life.

Why the hell did you apply for Cambridge in the first place? If you feel you don't have what it takes to cope in a "high pressure working environment", I feel it begs the question, "how did you get in anyways?"

I'm too saddened to even speak anymore. The very thought of someone even daring to reject a Cambridge offer because of having a lot more "fun" it just disrespectful to Cambridge more than anything.

wtf? seriously??

i know 3 people with offers from cambridge and only one is deffo gonna accept it.

the other 2, like the OP, would rather go to Manchester.

at Manchester you generally have more module choices, a better social scene, and a better city.

Cambridge is in Cambridge, Manchester is in Manchester- if you cant see which is the better city you need to sort your life out.

why are you even on tsr?? you know nobody on here likes you, hence your terrible neg rep. so why dont you go out and try to have a social life and then maybe you'll see why its important.

wtf? -133 TSR must love you so much.

Ha, people on this thread are so gay. 133 neg reps, waste-mans!
Reply 196
i would pick cam if you are under 25.
you can still change.
and undergrad life is usually enjoyable.
grad life tends to be miserable. too much work.
Reply 197
Original post by Retrodiction
Pretty sure staff at Manchester's physics department won a nobel prize very recently...

Didn't Rutherford do some extremely important stuff about atomic structure at Manchester? Admittedly this is a bit out of date
If you want to work at top level scientific research, cambridge is your best bet. If you want any of another million things, you may be happier somewhere else.
Original post by Planar
Didn't Rutherford do some extremely important stuff about atomic structure at Manchester? Admittedly this is a bit out of date

Manchester won a Nobel Prize in 2010 with Andre Geim and Konstantin Novoselov whereas Rutherford was 1908.

Back to the main point, if you think you can't cope with the pressure, I think it would be best for you to go to Manchester as there is a larger vicinity to let loose stress if you think the workload is too much for you e.g. gyms, clubs, stroll around the city.

As ou said in your opening statement, Manchester want A*AA but Cambridge want A*AAA, therefore Cambridge is expecting dedicated workers that knuckle-down from the go so if you feel you don't want that sort of environment it may be better to go to Manchester.

Latest

Trending

Trending