The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
CARDIO UPDATE

Spinning time again...

Different instructor this week and he wasn't AS good as the other ones...
Tbh my favourite is the fit blond girl. She's about 21 and :drool:.

40 mins total with average HR of 170 and max of 185...
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/abm50pb124r3ss0s for graph...

Funniest part of the session was meeting a guy i used to spin with about 2/3 times a week from sep to november... He started trying to gain in the gym at around december so about a month before me but he decided to follow the advice of the great scooby so is avoiding all dangerous lifts like the squat/deadlift and hitting them lower weight for high reps and using the machines to isolate each muscle...

I mentioned what i was squatting now and he goes" you shouldn't squat, i saw online it's had for your spine as it compresses it too much"...
Upon watching the video of this one guy i have decided to change my entire workout plan as well and ignore the 10000s of other people squatting fine everyday. Will be using the machines for weights of 30kg for reps of 50 everyday from now on...
</sarcasm>
Reply 181
In case the meassaging system is ****ed.... I didn't mean to neg you and it won't let me click the thumbs up
Reply 182
UPDATE

I know i don't normally lift on a sunday but my fat brother(and yes he reads this:tongue:) went out today and ran 5k and was within 15 second of my best ever time and about 30 seconds quicker than my last 2 times so i signed up for a 5k for next saturday as i must improve. So i'm moving all my lifts forward a day so i can rest friday and be fresh for the race.

Also, i felt like a right SummerSofas after the workout today. I kicked ass. :cool:...

Bench(Squat rack was taken so i couldn't press)
60kg*5,5,3(5RM PB)

Beastly PB, :biggrin:
Benching/Pressing before squatting makes a massive difference..
Probably could have got 4th/5th reps on 3rd set if i had a spotter...

Squat
97.5kg*5,3(5RM PB)
60kg*10

Nailed the first set and then second set was an absolute grinder.
Did the 60 just for fun and to get some volume. It felt so light when i picked it up i actually looked both ways to make sure the 20 was there. These were proper ATG squats instead of the normal parellel. Could have probably got more than 10 tbh if i really tried.

Rows
28kg*5,5,5

Completed all 3 sets at 28kg for the first time. Will try 30kg next time...

Assistance

Was in a rush and had been supersetting Squat/Row already and was about to get kicked out of the gym as it was closing.

Bro-cep Curls
12kg*8

Pull ups
BW*5
Then the women came in saying we all had to finish our set and leave so i couldn't do anymore...

Brilliant session. 2 new PBs on Bench/Squat and matched my PBs on Row/Pull Ups... May just do workout A again next time and ignore the fact i missed a Press day...

Will be back in gym tues/thurs before my 5k run on sat morning.
Reply 183
Original post by MHorman
CARDIO UPDATE

Spinning time again...

Do you actually enjoy this? I see the classes in my gym and it doesn't look very fun
Reply 184
Original post by a_t
Do you actually enjoy this? I see the classes in my gym and it doesn't look very fun

tl;dr YES

Yea, it's good fun and it's a bloody tough workout which is the point...

Also, i've always been into cycling but the competitive spirit of the class in addiiton to the music does work... And there's always lots of fit girls in the class.:sexface: And one of the instructors is :drool:

When it's a choice between this and going outside for a cycle ride i normally prefer this as it's easier to push yourself i find...

Of course every class i go to has a few girls there that barely sweat the entire time but i'm pouring with sweat after 5 mins and averaging 170bpm on the HRM...

Of course you do look a complete idiot going absolutely mental on a bike when you're stanidng up with the resistance so high you're struggling to cycle at like 30 rpm but you have to juust not care.

PS, Gym tomorrow morning, tempted to go for 100 squat even though i haven't hit all the reps on 97.5 yet... 100 is just there tempting me, laughing at me... It's cruel..Should also get all of my reps for 60 bench and hopefully 110 on the deadlift. :cool:
Reply 185
Original post by MHorman
tl;dr YES

PS, Gym tomorrow morning, tempted to go for 100 squat even though i haven't hit all the reps on 97.5 yet... 100 is just there tempting me, laughing at me... It's cruel..Should also get all of my reps for 60 bench and hopefully 110 on the deadlift. :cool:

ok cool

And get someone to spot you, I dropped a barbell on myself yesterday when benching, had to shove it off me since no one else was in the free weights section and strained my back and left hamstring in the effort
Reply 186
Original post by MHorman
...after 5 mins and averaging 170bpm on the HRM...

I am assuming you use your own HRM rather than following the one on the bike?
Reply 187
Original post by RNBen
I am assuming you use your own HRM rather than following the one on the bike?

Yea, i have a bluetooth one that works with my phone. :cool:

Although my gym has been lending out chest straps that work with the screens on the machines lately but considering how much i/others sweat i don't wanna share a strap...
Reply 188
UPDATE

Got woken up by drunk flatmates coming home at half 6 so decided to work out before my 9am lecture as i was up anyway...

Weighed in at the gym at 71.5. My weight is going up slower lately but that's because i've cut back on the calorie intake slightly as i was starting to just get fat which is pointless...

Bench
Warm up
60*5,5,5

:smile: These were tough, the last rep of the last set was a proper grinder but i made it. 62.5 next time lads. :biggrin:

Squat
Warm up
97.5*5,5,F

It was going alright then for some reason on my 3rd set i just had nothing left. Was weird... Will hopefully get all reps at 97.5 on thurs and then 100 next week...

Deadlift
40*5
70*4
110*5(5RM PB)
70*5

Was hell and absolutely killed my hands. I may deload this next week as it's absolutely destroying me...

Assistance

Chin ups
BW*8,2

Curls
12kg*8
10kg*8,8

Was supersetting these because i was starting to run low on time and my grip was still aching from deadlifting so couldn't get what i wanted on chins. But these are only an assistance so they do suffer badly when i have a tough workout before them...

Overall, completed all sets at 60 bench for first time and new 5RM at Deadlift so not a bad session. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 189
UPDATE
Weighed in at 72kg...

Excuse in now. I have man flu...(a cold)

Strict Press
Warm up
42.5kg*5,5,3
Push Press
42.5kg*3

Couldn't finish the strict press set but decided to go for some push presses in addition after about a 30 second rest. Was quite fun. Could have probably got a higher weight but my arms were too knackered to lockout easily...

Squats
42.5*5
60*3(Felt VERY heavy, even though it was a warm up)
97.5*4 WTF, felt like it weighed a tonne, though i'd accidentally loaded up 25s instead of 20s but no, i just sucked...
60*5,5 These were just to get some volume in and even these felt stupidly heavy...

No idea what happened. I blame man flu...

Dumbell Rows
30kg*5,5(5RM PB)
20*5

Assistance

Was annoyed at squat so was determined to hit a new PB on pull ups before i started...
Pull ups

BW*6,2(PB)

The last rep of the first set was a KILLER... But i was determined to get it...

Curls
12kg*8
10kg*8

My curls still suck, as do my pull ups but my strict press is getting better and so is my rows so i can't complain too much...

Just had a sandwich with 200g of ham in. :biggrin: Was awesome...
5k on sat morning...:cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 190
First "proper" 5k run today...

The Brighton & Hove parkrun.

Finishing time was 27:06.

Not as good as my best from training but still decent. I paced myself too much for the first half and left myself with a lot of catching up to do. My last km was my quickest and i sprinted the last 200m or so but couldn't catch up to my target time...

Heart rate data was average of 183 wiht a peak of 197 as i hit the finish line...
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/3u5is2a86ssmjlvm

Probably gonna hit the gym for weights tomorrow morning. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 191
Good to see you're still blogging dude. Doing well I see. Your 5km time is a minute better than my best.

I'm just starting to train properly following vacation where I've been recovering from re-screwing my knee... which will never be right I don't think.

What's your 'fat' bro's best time??
Reply 192
Original post by RobbieC
Good to see you're still blogging dude. Doing well I see. Your 5km time is a minute better than my best.

I'm just starting to train properly following vacation where I've been recovering from re-screwing my knee... which will never be right I don't think.

What's your 'fat' bro's best time??

Hey, his is 26:06 and my best from training is 25:48. but that was 6 months ago and he claims it doesn't count... My fastest from 2011 is 27:06...

Going to an actual run is a major ego check... 50/60 yr olds that have run 50+ 5k runs flying past you like you're standing still is plain embaressing... This parkrun is done every saturaday so during summer term i will try and go once a week to get my time down to something decent. Sub 25 minute is the short term aim...

And he's not that fat, he's only about 10kg heavier than me but considering he lifts less than me on most lifts i've decided most of it is fat...:tongue:
Reply 193
UPDATE

WEnt to the gym just after it opened this morning and i was the only one in there other than the staff. Was nice..

BEASTED out my session. :smile:

Bench
Warm up
62.5kg*5, 2(5RM PB)
40kg*12(Rep PB)

:biggrin: Got the first set and the 5th rep was a major struggle and then i didn't wanna risk too much on the 2nd set as no one was around to save me under the bar so i just racked it cautiously after 2... Went for as many reps as possible of 40 just for a laugh considering 3 months ago i couldn't even lift it...

Then i attempted front squats and failed humerously on 20kg. I just couldn't get the technique down. I was all over the place...
So i thought i'd go for the 2 plate squat which has been hanging over my head for a few weeks now...

Squats
20*5
60*4
100*5,1(5RM PB)
60*5

Only got 1 on the second set because i clipped the safety rails things and it threw me off balance.
Also, an amzingly fit girl walked into the free weights area about 10 seconds before i was about to attempt first set at 100. She was doing BW chins+dips and was blatantly watching me squatting the beastly 2 plates... No way i could fail with her watching...

Deadlifts

40*5
70*5
110*5
70*5

Dang, thought this was a PB until about 5 minutes ago... :/
Would have gone for 112.5 if i would have realised. Thinking of going to drop back to something like 100 and get some volume in on my deadlifts at 3*5 or something...

Assistance

Chins
BW*8,6,2

Not bad, my first set was done immediately after bench and i was going to go for 12 to beat my PB but after 7 they slowed right down and i was struggling so would not have made it...

Curls
10kg*8
8kg*8,8

Terrible low weights i know but i was dead from other lifts and just wanted some volume on these. Nice strict form etc as well...

2.5kg Crucifix
60 seconds

Stupid challenge between me and the bro.
His record is at about 120 so i have a long way to go...

OVERALL, new bench and squat PBs and finally hit 2 plate squat. :biggrin:

EDIT:
Weighed in at 72kg again and took some measurements.
Arm 12"
Leg 23"
Waist 32"(even though all my trousers are 30)
Chest 40"
(edited 13 years ago)
Most people don't pull for more than one heavy set of 5 to be honest. Try that for a bit and see if you can pull your dead higher by a bit and deload and build some volume.
Reply 195
UPDATE

Guy using the squat rack when i went in so started with rows

Dumbell Rows

16kg*5
30kg*5,5,5

Completed all 3 sets.:smile:
Will be hitting the bottom row of dumbells from 32-50kg next time probably. :biggrin:

Strict Press

20*5
30*4
45*4.5(4th rep was a bitch and then i got halfway up the 5th rep and spent about 3 seconds at halfway point trying to get the bloody thing to go up but i had to give up)
40*5,3

Grumble, wanted my new 5RM today but ahh well...

Squats

40*5
60*4
100*2,4 (Lost balance when rising on 2nd rep of first set and almost fell backwards so i racked it so grab my breath)
60kg*10

Felt like smashing up some 60kgs afterwards. Need some volume and these things kill when doing 10 reps, even at a relatively low weight...

Assistance

Pull Ups
BW*6,2,1

These are starting to look a bit better nowadays...Still not as good as chins though...

Bro-cep Curlz

12kg Dumbells*8,8
10kg*5

Still fail at these but whatever...

Got 4 exams over next few days so will be going gym again friday afternoon after 2 exams in the morning.
Guy from my course may be coming with me as we were discussing lifting the toher day.
May go for some 1RM for a laugh before my forced break of DEvon for a few weeks...

Targets for 1RM would be 110/70/120 giving me a 300 total :biggrin:
If this happens will probably try and grab vids of squat/deadlift as well.
Will need him spotting for Bench however...
OK, so I have been trying this out for just over 3 weeks now. Really enjoying it - just trying to work on my technique more than anything. I can't lift that heavy which is annoying, but I guess that's what the programs for. However there is one problem - it never feels like I'm doing enough. I can finish the routine pretty quickly, and then find myself throwing in some more sets or bicep workouts etc. Is this a bad thing to do?

On a plus side, I have gone up by about 4kg in weight!
Original post by CountMancula
OK, so I have been trying this out for just over 3 weeks now. Really enjoying it - just trying to work on my technique more than anything. I can't lift that heavy which is annoying, but I guess that's what the programs for. However there is one problem - it never feels like I'm doing enough. I can finish the routine pretty quickly, and then find myself throwing in some more sets or bicep workouts etc. Is this a bad thing to do?

On a plus side, I have gone up by about 4kg in weight!

It's fine to do some other work. Probably recommended for the upper body. But the overall goal is to try and slap weight on the big 4. If your other work is taking away from that goal (it shouldn't really if you're being smart about it) it's fine.
Original post by The Blind Monk
It's fine to do some other work. Probably recommended for the upper body. But the overall goal is to try and slap weight on the big 4. If your other work is taking away from that goal (it shouldn't really if you're being smart about it) it's fine.

I will continue what I'm doing then, but focus mainly on the big 4. Any advice in terms of diet..I am trying my best to eat more, but I get full up quite easily lol. I've also started adding pints of full fat milk to my diet.
Reply 199
UPDATE

Last gym session before 2 week mini break...

Mini powerlifitng style contest versus myself in the gym.
3 attempts per lift(after warm up) and highest 1RM counts...

Bench(Squat rack was busy)
65*1(No spotter)
70*1(Spotter touched it :angry: )
72.5*1(Spotter but made sure he didn't touch it)

Spotter lifted the weight off the rack for me last 2 times and it does help you keep tight and make it easier, was surprised...

Squat
100*1 (Safe first one, nice and low)
110*1 (Not too bad tbh, fairly easy)
115*F ( :frown: i hit parellel and then moved up about 3 inches and then stayed there for about 3 second trying to get the weight up but it was happening, slammed it down to the failure bars)

Deadlift
120*1(Was going to go for 100 for a final warm up but miscounted so thought i'd go for it anyway, was easy)
125*F ( Didn't have a long enough break, it didn't even move off the floor)
125*1(Had a 3 minute break or so and it JUST lifted off the floor, lockout was easy )

New 1RM
110/72.5/125
Total 307.5 :cool:

Not the beast of the gym though, The guys using squat rack whilst i was benching were doing about 140/150 ATG and some other people were repping 130 Deadlift with the weird bar you stand inside at the end as well...

Quick Reply

Latest