The Student Room Group

What's music like at: Bristol, Oxford Brookes, Salford?

I'm applying for music, and I've already submitted my UCAS for my first four choices which are my top priorities. I want to fill in a fifth, to increase my chances of getting in anywhere, but I'm not sure which school to choose. Does anyone have opinions on the music at any of these?

I'm a musician/composer and my top priority is studying composition more, but also continuing to play guitar in bands and such. I don't have to have both in my degree, but it'd be nice to have a mix of classical and contemporary. I hear bristol is good for composition, but I don't know how good the city is in general, or the music scene these days. Oxford Brookes, well I hear a lot of negative things about, but from the course description on their site, it seems kind of appealing (both composition and songwriting, both classical and contemporary). Then there's Salford, which is sort of my safety/last resort school. They have two different music programs, a music and popular music and recording program. I'd probably apply for the latter since I've more experience in popular music and am currently on a foundation course for it, but my interest really lies in composition and creating new music.

I'm also open to hearing suggestions of other uni's with good music, esp for composition. Bear in mind though that I don't have terrific grades or test results, although my foundation diploma (currently at the Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts) should help my academic standing, just a bit if at all.

I feel like I've checked out every other school, but am not sure. For me, location is important though... somewhere that isn't completely awful and has a decent music scene, or at least something going on.
Reply 1
Personally, Ive heard that Bristol has something for everyone so Im guessing the music scene there must be pretty diverse with alot on offer. Its a good university, I know alot of people who love it there, and Bristol is a brilliant city to study in. Hope that helps a teeny bit.
What bad things have you heard about Brookes? It's not a bad uni! :nah:
Reply 3
besides the obvious " it's not oxford university", and the rumor that oxford student gives brookes students a lot of hassle, I've heard it's a uni where rich public school kids go who have no ambition or intellect... negative stuff like that. but more so, I've heard virtually nothing anywhere else about their music course aside from their website, and it's not known for it's music, so I'm not sure what to think of it. I hear Bristol is much better for music, but Oxford Brookes seems a bit more realistic as Bristol has like 477 applicants for 38 places and is known to be hard to get into.

I also hear Oxford is extremely boring, and all there is to do is go clubbing, which isn't my thing. But what do I know? That's why I ask!
Original post by Maxomatosis
besides the obvious " it's not oxford university", and the rumor that oxford student gives brookes students a lot of hassle, I've heard it's a uni where rich public school kids go who have no ambition or intellect... negative stuff like that. but more so, I've heard virtually nothing anywhere else about their music course aside from their website, and it's not known for it's music, so I'm not sure what to think of it. I hear Bristol is much better for music, but Oxford Brookes seems a bit more realistic as Bristol has like 477 applicants for 38 places and is known to be hard to get into.

I also hear Oxford is extremely boring, and all there is to do is go clubbing, which isn't my thing. But what do I know? That's why I ask!

Well I've never heard of anyone giving Brookes students any hassle. I think it's something the media/people generally like to play up. If anything (in my admittedly limited experience: I only know my own interactions and what I've heard from friends), Brookes students seem to make more of an issue of it than Oxford students :yes:

As for the rich kids thing... Well I have heard of people going there if they don't get into Oxford so that they still have the dreaming spires, etc. Bristol is the better Music department of the two, certainly. Brookes is a nice place though, from what I've seen, and I've only met nice people there (did a teaching course with them in first year) :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Maxomatosis
a bit more realistic as Bristol has like 477 applicants for 38 places and is known to be hard to get into.

You'll never know if you dont try! You have five choices anyway so why not give it a go? As for clubbing not being your thing, Bristol has a wide range of venues from pubs to clubs and everything in between :smile:
I missed that last sentence about Oxford being boring! Well I guess that depends on what you like to do and what you're into! I only went clubbing once during my time there! Went to bars and pubs instead and even there, drank Coke :yes:
Reply 7
I'd say oxford brookes if you are worried about getting in. If you are worried about being surronded by private school kids there are a far greater proportion of the student body at Bristol than Oxford Brookes (but I don't think its an issue at either). Sorry I know nothing about music at uni so not a massive help
Reply 8
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

In response to Toni, I'm not worried about being surrounded by private school kids. What I dislike is being surrounded by people who lack any drive or ambition and who are just at university to drink and party 24/7. I know that's most likely inevitable at any university, but I'm just aiming to go somewhere where expectations are a bit higher and people make an effort.

So the general opinion is that Oxford Brookes is relatively easy to get into, while Bristol obviously is not? I have not been in contact with Brookes, I may contact them today, but Bristol said that I'd most likely get an interview, and so that it would be worth applying despite my mediocre grades (and I'm a mature student). I may just do that, but Oxford Brookes still seems somewhat appealing, and safer in terms of taking a chance trying to get in...

The Lonely Goatherd... Sound of Music reference? :smile:
I'm not saying Brookes is easy to get into (I wouldn't know) but Bristol is the better known Music dept and as such attracts a lot of applicants.

Tiz indeed a TSOM reference :yep:
Having lived in Salford for the majority of my life, I would advise you not to go to Salford Uni if you want a decent uni lifestyle experience.....you wouldn't enjoy it! :P
Reply 11
yeah I've ruled out Salford

Quick Reply

Latest