The Student Room Group

TSR Foreign Affairs Hub

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/world/asia/13missile.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Hoping someone is reading these links I post.

anyway the US has intercepted and turned back a missile shipment heading to Burma
Let's not forget over 30 people killed in the Pakistan bombings.

Al Jazeera did a segment on NK missiles a while back. Apparently Iran and NK are sharing and transporting technology via Chinese passenger jets. I don't think this shipment will do much.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/may/17/beijing-aiding-north-korea-and-iran-with-nuke-adva/
@Aj12 - I read the stuff that gets posted here.

@ CombineHarvester - Yes, very good. Precisely what I was telling democracy above. Russia is also on the side(ish) of Iran ...

I saw a guy wrote this on that site combinehaverster- "What? This is news? Anyone with commonsense, other than our Dear Leaders in Washington knew this." This made me laugh! So true! :biggrin:

I have just spent the last few days thinking about libertarian theory on my blog here and here, instead of foreign policy ... in case anyone is interested.
Spotted earlier in Tehran...two years after the crackdown began on the Iranian freedom movement after the "elections" of 2009.

"Dictator, say hello to the end".
Reply 144
Original post by Democracy
Spotted earlier in Tehran...two years after the crackdown began on the Iranian freedom movement after the "elections" of 2009.

"Dictator, say hello to the end".

How bad is it in Iran right now? I knew there have been protests that have been put down pretty harshly. Do you know how widespread they are or were?
Original post by Aj12
How bad is it in Iran right now? I knew there have been protests that have been put down pretty harshly. Do you know how widespread they are or were?

They continue to go on. Obviously millions of people haven't been pouring out into the streets like in June 2009 as the brutality of the regime to the protesters (the torture, rape, murder, intimidation of family members, etc) is very frightening and very real. However, protests continue daily in universities, in metro stations, on street corners and so on. The defaced poster you see above is not an oddity, people have been defacing the regime's propaganda for years now, whether with graffiti, destruction, even on banknotes. The people have also protested outside jails when political prisoners are due to be executed and shout slogans in the middle of the night from their rooftops.

To answer your question, the situation is that the regime knows that it is on its last legs. That is why it is being more brutal than ever before (harkening back to the 1980s, the days of the original fascist Ayatollah Khomeini), in an effort to intimidate the populace. It is for the same reason that it has banned foreign journalists from reporting in the country, so that the outside world does not realise what is going on. And it is also why the regime is actively helping to brutalise the Syrian people by aiding the regime of Bashar al-Assad, it's sole ally in the Middle East.
Reply 146
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/world/africa/17libya.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Libyan rebels fighting on three fronts now. And it would appear they have men in Tripoli.
I am going to buy the paper today to read about the Eton & Ritz Hotel Al-Qaeda bomb plan .. :s-smilie:
Reply 149
Original post by Lord Hysteria
I am going to buy the paper today to read about the Eton & Ritz Hotel Al-Qaeda bomb plan .. :s-smilie:

I thought the Ritz was owned by a Muslim? Or are they trying to attack the "infidel Muslims" here as well.

Original post by Aj12
I thought the Ritz was owned by a Muslim? Or are they trying to attack the "infidel Muslims" here as well.

The Ritz represents rich capitalists. And everyone buys into the old Marxist notion of the zero-sum-game. But also, capitalism is against Islamic doctrine.

The worrying part is that I feel it is relatively easy to carry-out these bomb campaigns. You know, you could perhaps make something and go into a packed tube-station. It's really alarming and very serious.
Saudi Arabia women drive cars in protest at ban

[INDENT]Women in Saudi Arabia have been openly driving cars in defiance of an official ban on female drivers in the ultra-conservative kingdom.[/INDENT]

This is good.
Reply 152
The Ritz represents rich capitalists. And everyone buys into the old Marxist notion of the zero-sum-game. But also, capitalism is against Islamic doctrine.

The worrying part is that I feel it is relatively easy to carry-out these bomb campaigns. You know, you could perhaps make something and go into a packed tube-station. It's really alarming and very serious.

Its been a threat for awhile. And dangerously some of the terrorists like the ones involved in the liquid bomb plot have had counter subservience training in Pakistan
Just thought I'd subscribe to this. You guys post some very interesting links.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/06/2011617172114510513.html

What do you guys make of this? Some of the reforms look good on paper but then you imagine that the King will still call most, if not all of the shots. Also, it does seem like they are having the referendum very quickly. Furthermore, whilst recognition of the Berber language as an official language is a nice gesture it does appear, as the February 20 movement say about much of what he said, cosmetic.
Reply 155
Original post by TheMagicRat
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/06/2011617172114510513.html

What do you guys make of this? Some of the reforms look good on paper but then you imagine that the King will still call most, if not all of the shots. Also, it does seem like they are having the referendum very quickly. Furthermore, whilst recognition of the Berber language as an official language is a nice gesture it does appear, as the February 20 movement say about much of what he said, cosmetic.

He is clearly trying to preempt something like Syria. Saudi Arabia and Jordan have done the same thing. I imagine they don't have the stomach for all out brutality.

But its a start. Reforms like these tend to be a slippery slope and hopefully this is the start of a slide to democracy.

Maybe in a few years they will be a monarchy like the UK.
It's the Arab's longest-serving dynasty ...
Reply 157
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/politics/19gates.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Gates has become wary of wars of choice. He has warned that the US needs to stick to using the armed forces to deal with direct threats and threats to vital US interests.

A shame to see this man leaving government, always quite liked him. I am starting to wonder how the upper levels of the US regime see Iran.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VfQFbBIz1coJ:www.stratfor.com/weekly/20110613-turkeys-elections-and-strained-us-relations+ned+U.S.+Relations+By+George+Friedman+|+June+14,+2011&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

Catched version of a Stratfor article the Turkish elections.

Anyone sub this site? I am tempted they have a 15 month subscription with a free book for £70
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/politics/19gates.html?smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Gates has become wary of wars of choice. He has warned that the US needs to stick to using the armed forces to deal with direct threats and threats to vital US interests.

A shame to see this man leaving government, always quite liked him. I am starting to wonder how the upper levels of the US regime see Iran.

Obama wants to negotiate with the Taliban now!! I know ... I couldn't believe it.

Which other terrorist organisation is Obama going to sit around and have tea with? al-Zawahiri?
Reply 159
Obama wants to negotiate with the Taliban now!! I know ... I couldn't believe it.

Which other terrorist organisation is Obama going to sit around and have tea with? al-Zawahiri?

Personally I don't think the US ever cared about the Taliban. Al Qaeda was always the aim, they have been destroyed n Afghanistan so now the US is happy to let the Taliban go back to oppressing women and other tyrannical frolicking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending