The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Got in for French, yay! Anyone else?
Original post by cz100
I knew the result before I even saw it, the postman pushed something through the letter box and I could hear that it was something really light.
Sometimes I get annoyed at the sugar coated language used in rejections. When they print the same thing to everyone it basically means nothing.

for you, it probably had more elements of truth than for me...

it was generic, but still 10A*'s = the real app

i'll not apply to oxford, rather cambridge if my ums shows...

i don't want to go summer school, i don't like parties, they're so akward...

i don't like eating in groups with random strangers

i wanted to go to learn medicine more, but it turns out you do, but most of it is parties

also, i want a nensuite, not sharing with random strangers

maybe this is for the best
Original post by lifesabeach
Lying isn't going to get you anywhere, and copying someone elses personal statement is just as bad.

:smile: but understanding the elements in someones ps that oxford like to read or no, is only smart.
Reply 1183
The flimsy white envelope... I'm going to rip it up, and watch it BURN!!!
Reply 1184
Original post by krackingal
Yay! Biomedical sciences! Anyone else?

I did :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
So there's three of us. Now to track down the remaining 37...

Just checked website it seems there's only twenty people who got into Computer Science.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/uniq/applicant_numbers.html
Original post by sixthformer
:smile: but understanding the elements in someones ps that oxford like to read or no, is only smart.

Tell them about yourself, not about somebody else. You have a better chance of getting in if YOU are the right applicant rather than trying to image yourself on somebody else: You will fail at the interview and will be harder to get a place.
Original post by cz100
The flimsy white envelope... I'm going to rip it up, and watch it BURN!!!

Is it really that big a deal? Only summer school. Disappointing, yes. But no need for conflagration.
Original post by chedder789
Did you acceptance letter say about how your application was? Cause mine just says I've been accepted, no mention of the application. :-)

They said they were "extremely impressed with your Personal Statement and the interest you showed in German literature", and that they thought I would enjoy the German course - I actually applied for English, so I'm slightly worried they're going to send me a letter saying they made a mistake and withdraw my place, but I absolutely love German so I'm not complaining :smile:

What did you get in for?

Just checked website it seems there's only twenty people who got into Computer Science.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/uniq/applicant_numbers.html

Oops you're right. Me getting confused already...

I think they had 15 spaces last year, and increased in to 20 this year. But then the number of applications went down...
Original post by h_1507
Well done! See you there then :smile:
Reply 1191
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Is it really that big a deal? Only summer school. Disappointing, yes. But no need for conflagration.

Only joking I'm really scared of fires (I actually can't even light a match).
I wish there could have been some sort of feedback on the PS though.
Original post by h_1507

we "ooooxford bias" rejects should come together and BURN dem envelopes!!!

:biggrin: lets decide on a week and invite ALL !!!!!!

mwahahahahahh
Original post by krackingal
Yay! Biomedical sciences! Anyone else?

Original post by h_1507

Same, looks like there's quite a few of us on here.
Original post by cz100

exactly..

will any current offer holders share their PS with us?
Original post by cz100
Yep. I only fit 3 of their criteria too, I thought the UNIQ would be a better chance since it looks at personal statement and not parental income. I had no idea about the postcode thing, and the PS was the first one I've ever written and had no help whatsoever. I really want to know when/how we find out about the Sutton one now.

Yep same. We find out late May about the Sutton one, says on their site. I've emailed UNIQ to ask why I got rejected (politely) just so I can learn from my mistakes :P
Original post by Ilikefairylights.
They said they were "extremely impressed with your Personal Statement and the interest you showed in German literature", and that they thought I would enjoy the German course - I actually applied for English, so I'm slightly worried they're going to send me a letter saying they made a mistake and withdraw my place, but I absolutely love German so I'm not complaining :smile:

What did you get in for?

Thats sounds like they think your a really good candiate, well done :-) And lol surely Oxford wouldn't mess up? :wink:

And Computer Science :-)
Reply 1197
Original post by Insanity514
Yep same. We find out late May about the Sutton one, says on their site. I've emailed UNIQ to ask why I got rejected (politely) just so I can learn from my mistakes :P

Good idea, I'll email them too once they are back from the Easter break.
Original post by cz100

You could always send an email through and ask, saying it would help you in the future? :smile:
Reply 1199
You could always send an email through and ask, saying it would help you in the future? :smile:

Will do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending