The Student Room Group

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zorg
But they all look so crap on consoles...

How old is the PS3? If it's out of warranty I'd grab a new one or if the repairs void the warranty grab a new one. Or secret option number 3: upgrade your PC and play games with the eye candy they were meant to have :p:

It is the oldest :frown: 60GB one.

I've heard that PC is better than console, but I don't understand why. PS3 has blu-ray so wouldn't that mean its HD. I'm not trying to argue, I'd like your help :biggrin: How come PC is better than console?

(but I think £200 for PS3 is cheaper than a new PC, I'm on a student budget :biggrin:)
Reply 781
Original post by Limesasquatch
It is the oldest :frown: 60GB one.

I've heard that PC is better than console, but I don't understand why. PS3 has blu-ray so wouldn't that mean its HD. I'm not trying to argue, I'd like your help :biggrin: How come PC is better than console?

(but I think £200 for PS3 is cheaper than a new PC, I'm on a student budget :biggrin:)

The quality is far superior on a PC. For the 360 and I believe the PS3 the images are only upscaled to 720p, on a PC you can play natively at 1080p.

A PC will cost you more, but it will last longer and if you do it right could last you decades with only a couple of upgrades. Not to mention that the sheer horsepower in a PC is far in excess of a console, as such you can turn on all the little visual details that consoles can't support.

Do you currently have a computer? Or a laptop? If the former consider upgrading your GPU, would cost about £200 for a nice one and you could play at 1080p with most settings turned all the way up. This is assuming you have a decent power supply in your computer.

Both platforms cater to different markets in my opinion, the PC gives you stunning visuals and greater control over your games, whereas a console is great for social gaming i.e. when you friends come around and you all play FIFA/COD etc.

EDIT: Might be easier to PM me for advice if you do want to upgrade your rig, rather than clutter this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 782
I cant wait for this game. Looking for something I can really get into during the cold winter nights in my student accom :smile:
Reply 783
Decades with only a couple of upgrades :rofl2: That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen someone use to try and sway someone over to the PC.

I can't even begin describe the sheer stupidity in that comment :rofl2:
Original post by Zorg
The quality is far superior on a PC. For the 360 and I believe the PS3 the images are only upscaled to 720p, on a PC you can play natively at 1080p.

A PC will cost you more, but it will last longer and if you do it right could last you decades with only a couple of upgrades. Not to mention that the sheer horsepower in a PC is far in excess of a console, as such you can turn on all the little visual details that consoles can't support.

Do you currently have a computer? Or a laptop? If the former consider upgrading your GPU, would cost about £200 for a nice one and you could play at 1080p with most settings turned all the way up. This is assuming you have a decent power supply in your computer.

Both platforms cater to different markets in my opinion, the PC gives you stunning visuals and greater control over your games, whereas a console is great for social gaming i.e. when you friends come around and you all play FIFA/COD etc.

EDIT: Might be easier to PM me for advice if you do want to upgrade your rig, rather than clutter this thread.

I don't really know how PMing works, so I'll just write it here. I promise not to clutter any more!

I do have a computer, but its a family computer. Although its still fairly good (with a recent graphics card upgrade after the last one broke) I think when I leave for uni and take my PS3/whatever I have then with me it'll be easier to have a laptop and a PS3; rather than a PC. I can invite friends round to watch me play Skyrim, or play Fifa lol I think the visuals on a PS3 are fine for me tbh, they can still be good, as long as they aren't made ****e like Black Ops if you know what I mean.

Thanks anyway. If I get rich suddenly I'll be sure to get BOTH!! :biggrin:
Reply 785
Original post by Zorg

I'm pretty sure most console games are at least 720p.
Reply 786
Original post by Mess.
Decades with only a couple of upgrades :rofl2: That is probably the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen someone use to try and sway someone over to the PC.

I can't even begin describe the sheer stupidity in that comment :rofl2:

Woah, chill out a bit. I had meant years, long night shifts will screw your mind a bit.

Saying that, I have a computer in the house that's only undergone a gpu upgrade and a processor/platform update. Runs CODBO at medium settings at 1680x1050. 7 or 8 years old now :smile:

Original post by refref
I'm pretty sure most console games are at least 720p.

Yup, but they're app upscaled to that resolution. I think a few are native that resolution but not many. Either way you can't argue that a game doesn't look much better on a decent pc. And no a decent pc doesn't have to be triSLi 580s.
Reply 787
This emphasis people put on graphics as a reason for buying a PC is a bunch of shallow bull****.

There are far better reasons for PC gaming than "graphics", which are more often than not determined by the engine and not the machine running the blasted thing.

There are pros and cons for both types of gaming and this endless, stupid argument over which is better or "more hardcore" is tiresome.
The biggest plus point for Skyrim on the PC is the mods, not the graphics.
Reply 789
Original post by Zorg

Yup, but they're app upscaled to that resolution. I think a few are native that resolution but not many..

No I'm pretty sure they are 720p native.
Reply 790
Original post by cambo211

Exactly! Even though I'm getting it on a console, I do realise I'm missing out on a huge amount of free content.
Original post by Hylean
Exactly! Even though I'm getting it on a console, I do realise I'm missing out on a huge amount of free content.

I'll likely be getting it on console as well.

Not sure my new laptop will run it.
Reply 792

What about mods that increase graphics? :smile:

What specs?
Reply 794

I personally just prefer the console's set up. Never been a big fan of the keyboard and mouse.
Original post by Hylean
I personally just prefer the console's set up. Never been a big fan of the keyboard and mouse.

You can always hook up a console controller to a PC.

No need to be tethered to keyboard and mouse.
Reply 796
You can always hook up a console controller to a PC.

No need to be tethered to keyboard and mouse.

I know, but there's the other benefits of console gaming as well.

Ah well, I do play some PC games, like Total War. :teeth:
Reply 797
Original post by Limesasquatch

A blu-ray disc is just a higher capacity disc, it doesn't automatically make things HD. The only reason blu-ray is associated with HD is that blu-rays are big enough to hold a film's worth of HD video. On PC it doesn't really matter because they could stick the game on as many DVDs as they like because you install it and that's it. Plus Skyrim must only have about a DVDs worth of data as it's only on one DVD on Xbox 360 (as far as I know).

PC games have been "HD" for years longer than consoles have, if you had a good enough PC to run it at that resolution. Essentially PCs are "better" than consoles because the average gaming PC is much more powerful than the current consoles, so they generally have better graphics on PC.

Plus the PC has the option of using a mouse and keyboard which some people prefer. I do for this sort of game, feels more immersive to me and you have finer control over where you're looking.

Consoles have their advantages too. For most people playing on a console means you can play it on a big TV instead of a smaller PC monitor (not for me though, PC version on a big TV:biggrin:). It's cheaper, at least assuming you're going to have the TV anyway. Also the PC is more likely to have bugs and glitches because there's so much different hardware and software a PC can have.

Hopefully this will be useful for people who aren't sure whether to get it on PC or console. Personally, I bought a new PC for it, but really I wanted a new PC anyway. If you just want to play the game and you have a console, just get it on console.

Original post by refref
No I'm pretty sure they are 720p native.

A lot of games render at a lower resolution and upscale. Sometimes games render some things at 720p and other things at a lower resolution.
hopefully they lay easter eggs about me in the game :biggrin:
Hi guys, just joined society.

v. excited for skyrim ;D

Quick Reply

Latest