The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick/Adjustment/Economics

I am currently on AAB at AS am "officially" predicted AAA at A2 and really had my heart set on Warwick, I went to the open day and out of all the ones I visited it was clearly my favourite. I applied to Warwick however I was rejected. I asked for feedback on my application, and the 2 main reasons they stated were the strength of my Academic profile (AAB) and my personal statement wasn't as strong.

I received the B in Maths as I got A's in C1 and C2, but the M1 module dragged me all the way down to a B, I even got 98 in C1, so narrowly missed an A by 4 marks. However my Maths teacher told me that he now wishes he'd predicted me A* as I'm on track to get 90+ in both C3 and D1 this January and he says I will find C4 easier than C3 even.

I have just found out about Adjustment. I currently hold an offer from Southampton at AAB and am currently waiting on Exeter still which will be AAA if I receive it. If I get A*AA as my teachers now think I can, would I be able to apply for Adjustment into Economics at Warwick, and what are my chances of success?
Original post by Crest93
I am currently on AAB at AS am "officially" predicted AAA at A2 and really had my heart set on Warwick, I went to the open day and out of all the ones I visited it was clearly my favourite. I applied to Warwick however I was rejected. I asked for feedback on my application, and the 2 main reasons they stated were the strength of my Academic profile (AAB) and my personal statement wasn't as strong.

I received the B in Maths as I got A's in C1 and C2, but the M1 module dragged me all the way down to a B, I even got 98 in C1, so narrowly missed an A by 4 marks. However my Maths teacher told me that he now wishes he'd predicted me A* as I'm on track to get 90+ in both C3 and D1 this January and he says I will find C4 easier than C3 even.

I have just found out about Adjustment. I currently hold an offer from Southampton at AAB and am currently waiting on Exeter still which will be AAA if I receive it. If I get A*AA as my teachers now think I can, would I be able to apply for Adjustment into Economics at Warwick, and what are my chances of success?

It makes you eligible (assuming your firm offer is AAA or less), but it's unlikely that Warwick will have any Adjustment places for economics ... but always worth a phone call come results day. :wink:

Only about 10% of people who enter Adjustment actually get and accept an offer through it, and it's my theory (as in, I have no evidence but it makes sense) that you'd be better off going from BCC to BBC than AAA to A*AA - a BBC university is more likely to have places to adjust to than an A*AA uni.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
But am I eligible for the same course even though they've already rejected me for it once? Will they be able to tell they've already rejected me?

I'm not sure what I should do. I have other offers, but I don't really like them all that much. Do you think I should try and go for adjustment, and if I don't should I go for one of the other ones, or reapply again next year? But if I reapply next year, then I have to pay the higher fees. :frown:

I really don't know what to do. I wish there was someone you could talk about all of this too.
Reply 3
Original post by Crest93
But am I eligible for the same course even though they've already rejected me for it once? Will they be able to tell they've already rejected me?

Can't really answer the question - only the warwick can.

But it is worth a shot calling up on exam results day if i get A*AA - AAA, to see if they have spots open. Maybe even do a second personal statement & ask if you can email it to them on the day. Make sure you call them asap i.e. results day & try to get A*AA.

Original post by Crest93
I'm not sure what I should do. I have other offers, but I don't really like them all that much.

Are your offers AAA/AAB/? As to be eligible for adjustment you need to exceed you exceed the offer from you firm. If you dont like your other offers then definately go through adjustment - you wont lose anything (except for £19)

Original post by Crest93
Do you think I should try and go for adjustment, and if I don't should I go for one of the other ones, or reapply again next year? But if I reapply next year, then I have to pay the higher fees. :frown:

I think you should as it seems as though you don't like you other choices/really want to attend Warwick. But do not let Warwick be the only uni you call up - get a few others that you also wan to apply to. Don't go to a uni that you dislike & are willing to take a gap year to avoid (but also do some more research into them - they may turn out to be great).

If you apply next year the fees increase wont affect you until you are earning £21,000 (although you will be paying for longer).

Original post by Crest93
I really don't know what to do. I wish there was someone you could talk about all of this too.

Call warwick, they may like the fact that you are willing to go through adjustment to study at their uni.

BTW - have you thought about transfering after your first year - ask them about that too.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ree-Shay
It is be worth a shot calling up on exam results day if i get A*AA - AAA, to see if they have spots open. Maybe even do a second personal statement & ask if you can email it to them on the day. Make sure you call them asap i.e. results day & try to get A*AA.

Can you phone as soon as you get them, if I do manage to get the A* can i drive back home, and phone straight away?

Are your offers AAA/AAB/? As to be eligible for adjustment you need to exceed you exceed the offer from you firm. If you dont like your other offers then definately go through adjustment - you wont lose anything (except for £19)

The highest offer I hold at the moment is AAB, I am still waiting for Exeter, which will be either (AAA or AAB).

I think you should as it seems as though you don't like you other choices/really want to attend Warwick. But do not let Warwick be the only uni you call up - get a few others that you also wan to apply to. Don't go to a uni that you dislike & are willing to take a gap year to avoid (but also do some more research into them - they may turn out to be great).

Well I like Exeter, if I went there it wouldn't be a disaster, but it just didn't have that same sparkle, I felt at home in Warwick, I could imagine myself living there.

If you apply next year the fees increase wont affect you until you are earning £21,000 (although you will be paying for longer).

True, but it's hard explaining that to my parents, they keep saying, this is your only shot, you won't be able to afford to apply next year, etc.

Call warwick, they may like the fact that you are willing to go through adjustment to study at their uni.

Do you mean now?

BTW - have you thought about transfering after your first year - ask them about that too.

Good luck! :smile:

I have never heard you can do this? Is this even possible? If you transfer, does the new uni still count the first year of your original uni, are the fees the same (3290).

and thanks for the good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Crest93
Can you phone as soon as you get them, if I do manage to get the A* can i drive back home, and phone straight away?

Yes pretty much - The Adjustment process is available from A level results day (18 August for 2011) until 31 August.

Original post by Crest93
The highest offer I hold at the moment is AAB, I am still waiting for Exeter, which will be either (AAA or AAB).

Take note that if you accept an offer from Exeter worth AAA you will need to gain A*AA or higher to be able to apply through adjustment.

Original post by Crest93
Well I like Exeter, if I went there it wouldn't be a disaster, but it just didn't have that same sparkle, I felt at home in Warwick, I could imagine myself living there.

Give it a chance - try looking more at the things Exeter has over Warwick. Look at their accommodation/ the type of events they held last year etc. Start asking current students (on TSR) what they like most about the uni. I do understand what you mean about feeling at home but if you concentrate too much on Warwick and do not get in (remember there is a possibility) you may dislike any university that isn't Warwick.

Original post by Crest93
Do you mean now?
:yes: (well looking at the time maybe tomorrow). Get a list of all the things you want to ask - im sure if you tell them how much you like the uni they will be more helpful.

Original post by Crest93
I have never heard you can do this? Is this even possible? If you transfer, does the new uni still count the first year of your original uni, are the fees the same (3290).

and thanks for the good luck :smile:

If you want to transfer straight onto the second year, you would need both courses to have a lot in common. You may also be asked to achieve certain marks in your current first year.

Ask admissions about this & check whether Exeter has a very similar course.

In terms of the fees i'm not too sure but i doubt it would affect you as you have started in 2011.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask me - i will try and help as much as possible.
Reply 6
I did so badly in that C3 exam today, I may as well kiss goodbye to Warwick and Exeter! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest