The Student Room Group

Would this seriously hold me back in the future?

University offers are asking for ABB/AAB. I can get these grades, but they include General Studies. So in the end, I'd (hopefully) end up with AABDd with the B in either Theatre Studies or General Studies or History.

In the future, would having only 2 A Levels + General Studies really hold me back that much? I say this because my offers are accepting General Studies, I'm going to fail English Literature, I don't see myself getting much more than a D and I'd rather spend my time focusing on other A Levels.

I'd still try my best, but if I did fail, but went on into university, would you think employers or if I decided to go on to do a Masters or whatever, would they give two ****s about it so long as I actually got into university and got a degree?

Well, other than "If someone is just like you in every possible way but had a better A Level grade" ofc.
Reply 1
if you applied to do a masters you may well be up against people who have done traditional subjects so you will probably be at a disadvantage. But of course personal statements and interviews etc can always tip in your favour. Going straight into work however, there would be no problem. Your degree would be the main focus of employers

Xx
Reply 2
tbh your 'A' levels don't count too much (except if you do chemistry/maths and need to go into medicine or something).

What matters more is what your most recent qualification grade is (i.e. your degree), and often, your GCSE results (B in english or B/A in maths)

(from a guy with a masters trying to get jobs...)
Reply 3
As long as you get into university with your grades I don't think it would affect you all that much. Employers will be more interested in your degree than your A levels. If you get ABD at A level but come out of university with a 2:1 you will be much more likely to get a job than the person who got AAA but only a 2:2 degree.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending