The Student Room Group

Current 5th Years: What're Your Choices for Next Year?

As the title says, and why for each :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
higher history cause i never got to pick it this year cause of stupid columns and i like history
higher biology the same reason as above might take another subject but dnt know yet
AH Maths (because I love Maths and will possibly do it at uni), AH Chemistry (see Maths), AH Physics (because it would be good for applications for Maths or Chemistry, and because I think it will probably be easier than English or History) and maybe AH Music (since it's ridiculously easy and it would be quite nice to do it). We don't have to make our choices until after the prelims though.
Reply 3
AH Maths, Physics and either Chemistry or Computing but more swayed towards computing. Because I don't want to crash a higher and don't want to do English.
Original post by soup
AH Maths, Physics and either Chemistry or Computing but more swayed towards computing. Because I don't want to crash a higher and don't want to do English.

Higher computing is really easy , do it.
Reply 5
Higher psychology, because it is only an option in sixth year, otherwise I would have done it this year.
Advanced higher modern studies, because I enjoy it, and my teacher is doss :smile:
Then either advanced higher english or crash higher history, depending on the teachers for both the subjects.

Am I the only person on TSR more talented in the arts side of things? :P everyone seems to scientific here!!
Reply 6
I've applied to uni instead of doing sixth year :O
Reply 7
Original post by Alt__x
Higher psychology, because it is only an option in sixth year, otherwise I would have done it this year.
Advanced higher modern studies, because I enjoy it, and my teacher is doss :smile:
Then either advanced higher english or crash higher history, depending on the teachers for both the subjects.

Am I the only person on TSR more talented in the arts side of things? :P everyone seems to scientific here!!

No, I'm exactly the same with arts, except Higher English, which is awful!

Next year I'm taking :
AH French - I want to take it at uni, and I really enjoy it, so win win really (:
Higher Modern Studies - Always been my favourite subject but for some crazy reason I dropped it, and I want to do Int. Relations with French at uni so it's good for that too (:

...and I'm not particularly sure about the rest (need to take 4), you can self teach Higher Psychology through my school so I think I might do that, but I'm also expecting to have to resit Maths, and maybe even English, so they would need to take priority!

Of course, this is all dependant on columns, and since we don't see them when we choose its hard to know exactly what I'll be doing until June :wink:
AH Music - because I love music, am good at it and want to go to music college to do classical singing. Guess it's an obious choice. :P

AH French - good at languages, love French, am doing really well with Higher and I'm going to need languages for a singing career anyway (plus French at uni is my back-up plan). :smile:

AH English - because I need to fill a column, but it does seem interesting - why would I turn down a year of Plath (my favourite poet), creative writing, total freedom within the dissertation and no close reading?

Int. 2 Spanish (maybe Higher?) - because I like knowing loads of languages (plus also I'm learning Italian, and they're closely linked) and I wanted to take it this year, but couldn't because it clashed with music. :frown:
Reply 9
Hopefully.

Adv Physics
Adv Maths
and Higher Geology
Definitely AH Maths and Physics (dream is to do maths at uni)

Then either AH Stats + Cambridge Pre U Economics
OR
AH Stats + higher PE/Geography/Philosophy
OR
Cambridge Pre- U Economics + higher PE/Geography/Philosophy

Depends if they let me basically do 4 AH's and which subjects clash with which.

I know PE and Philosophy are softer subjects but it be nice to do something different. Did GCSE PE and loved it so much, I'm quite sporty so... =)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Bibbster123
Higher computing is really easy , do it.

Oh I already do Higher Computing and I actually find it hard. Easier than English but harder than my other subjects.
Original post by soup
Oh I already do Higher Computing and I actually find it hard.

I also find it hard, it's a LOT to remember...
Reply 13
Original post by LonelySoul193
I also find it hard, it's a LOT to remember...

I hate when people view it as an easy subject but in reality it's not.
Reply 14
Original post by soup
I hate when people view it as an easy subject but in reality it's not.

Surely easy and hard are subjective? It was easy for me, personally, but other people might find it hard.
Reply 15
Original post by Delaney
Surely easy and hard are subjective? It was easy for me, personally, but other people might find it hard.

I'm talking about the people who don't actually take it but believe that it is a skive because it is so easy. (I don't believe this to be the case)
Original post by derangedyoshi
AH Maths (because I love Maths and will possibly do it at uni), AH Chemistry (see Maths),

I like your choices, but I'm a little biased since I'm doing them just now :yes: Although Maths at uni...oooh! I admire you a lot, for me AH Maths is bad enough (yes it is quite hard!)

AH Chemistry isn't that hard, there's just a lot to learn :smile:

Original post by christielovesyou

Int. 2 Spanish (maybe Higher?) - because I like knowing loads of languages (plus also I'm learning Italian, and they're closely linked) and I wanted to take it this year, but couldn't because it clashed with music. :frown:

Int 2 Spanish is easy, especially after you've done Higher French. I took Spanish because I liked learning languages and always wanted to learn Spanish, and also seeing as it is Int 2, it is my fun subject :biggrin: Our school didn't offer Higher!
Essentially my choices are: Advanced Higher English and History. I love English and I would like to get the highest possible qualificaton I can considering I don't want to pursue it onto University. As for History, I enjoy it sometimes and I'm decent at it but it really isn't my favourite but it's cool.

I was also considering some of the few: Higher Economics or Intermediate 2 Maths or Advanced Higher Spanish. As it is, I was considering Economics at University and so a decent level at Maths is required, and I guess I would be able to make my mind up whether or not I'd like to study it by taking it at Higher level. So two of those perhaps.

Or I'd take Advanced Higher Spanish and qualify for the Scottish Baccalaureate for Languages, along with Intermediate 2 Maths. I love Spanish and think it's really cool even though I find languages pretty hard, though as not to say I'm not good at them (I'm doing both French and Spanish at Higher and hating the former :wink:).

I think Maths is quite good to have just generally at an appropriate level so I'd really like to take Intermediate 2. Although, I did Credit in Standard Grade (and failed), so a deputy head in my school recommended I take Higher Maths and do extra work/tutoring. I think I've matured somewhat since last year: I'm working much harder! This year I've taken crash Higher Human Biology too, and wanting an A at that. I was, once upon a time, decent at Maths, though I lacked the determination.

All in all: Advanced Higher English, History + Advanced Higher Spanish, Intermediate 2 Maths OR Higher Economics, Intermediate 2 Maths OR Intermediate 2 Maths OR Higher Maths.

What do you guys think would maximise my opportunities? Personally, I don't want to stay in Scotland when I'm older, that's why the heavy emphasis on Advanced Highers as in most countries, like England (simply a random example), Advanced Higher (A2) level is necassary for University. And then again, what about Maths? Maths is reverred as being greatly significant and I agree, and I would love to have a high attainment in it! I just know that I wouldn't be able to do Higher Maths alongside three Advanced Highers. And another thing, next year I want to take up a job too. I'd like to be able to get great marks in English especially, and don't want anything to compromise it, say for example three Advanced Highers and Maths. Oh, what about Advanced English + Spanish and then Higher Maths?

P.S. Advanced Higher Spanish isn't offered in my School but I imagine something could be done...
Original post by Quick-use
long post

Did you fail Credit because you were crap at Maths or because you didn't bother? If you were genuinely bad at Credit Maths, then you will really struggle with Higher - it's a huge step up. On the other hand, if you don't feel you did your best at Credit, you might have a chance, with hard work. Bear in mind that the choice between Int2 and Higher is really important. Int2 is easier than Credit (officially the same, but it varies between classes, and Int2 is definitely easier in Maths), but Higher is a good bit harder. Only take Higher if you're willing to work hard at it. To be honest you'd probably get quite a lot of homework even from Int 2, although a lot of the concepts would be fairly familiar from having done Credit.

Sorry I can't be of more help - just think about how much you need Maths, and how hard you'll be able to work at it. Good luck anyway :smile:
Original post by derangedyoshi
long post :smile:

In my opinion, I think I failed maths because I didn't work hard at it. I wish I had though, I took it for granted: I enjoyed it plenty, but wasn't prepared to review the work and such.

That somewhat left me crap I guess :smile:.

I was thinking of doing next year: Advanced Higher Spanish, History and English and qualifying for the Scottish Baccalaureate for Languages. Though I'm not sure. With the above, the most I could do is Int 2 Maths without dying, heh. But then again there's the possibility of two advanced highers and higher maths. It's so annoying! Three advanced highers = impressive! Maths = hugely important!

P.s. I gave you a positive rep yoshi
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending