The Student Room Group

What to do before an Access to HE course?

I'm just looking a bit of advice really.

I'm interested in starting an Access course hopefully Sep 2012. With work and other commitments it wouldn't be doable come this September. The thing is... I'm thinking of maybe taking on a few GCSE's this year to get me back into the swing of things and maybe prepare me a bit better for the Access as its been a while since I've been in a classroom.

I'm 35 this summer and left school with 2 GCSE's. I just wasn't interested. I acually didn't even pass a test as the 2 I got where 100% course work but to be honest I think on a few of my tests, I didn't even bother going in. I wouldn't say I was overly clever, things don't just come to me but I get there in the end at most stuff I do, if I try. Any job I've ever had has just been grunt work, moving/lifting furniture and other physical work and my bodies starting to give me a few signs its had enough. My back is far from ok.

I'm also not 100% sure what I'd like to study at degree level but know this is what I want to do so this might give me time to see what comes back to me quickest/easiest. Civil Engineering is one that I think would interest me. A few of the Allied Health Professional degrees look interesting also with excellent job prospects. I think I'll just have to see how my Maths is?

I basically would like a degree thats gonna be worthwhile with good job prospects. I hear all to often of people coming out of Uni with degrees that are of no real use to them in the job market. I don't really want to be coming out of Uni with £20k+ debt and no chance of a job. A sandwich degree, just for experience would be a must I think.

I've gone off topic a bit but I'm gonna take Maths and maybe another 2. Thinking maybe something science based? My English is terrible but as I have Eng Lan at grade C I don't see there being much point in retaking it? My collage also start a Pre Access every Jan so that could be an option along with the GCSE's which I'd be half way through. Any ideas on what I have planned would be very much appreciated:wink:
Reply 1
I would definitely recommend trying to get a few more GCSE's. Maths is really essential. In school i took 'double science' which was 2 GCSE's made up from chemistry, biology and physics. This would be really beneficial as it would set you up to take an access to science course. My college offers access to science and theres quite a lot of people studying maths, physics and chemistry hoping to go into chemical engineering. Normally you can do a GCSE evening class (i presume) and i would imagine that you can complete it in less than a year.

Having relevant work experience will also really strengthen your uni application. Try to get a week or two here and there over then next year and you will really be able to emphasise that on a personal statement when applying to uni.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.

Mathematics is definitely what I'll take. Seeing how I do would seem a good base on what path to take as I'd guess you'd be a pretty hopeless engineer without the Math skills:smile: Science might give me a good understanding of this also. My collage hold....

SA Science
Biology
Chem
Physics

I was thinking single award might give me a broader scope or would taking 2 of the more intense courses be better?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Maths GCSE equivalence is part of the Access course, however doing it now could ease up on the workload and on my access course if the GCSE is less then 2 years old you get the credits for Maths automatically, if its older you dont have to do the Maths but have to make up the credits in other areas.

dont take this for certain though as each Access course varies slightly depending on the area of the country your in.

Picking a degree straight away isnt critical but narrowing it down to an area is key as it will help pick the pathway and options and you dont have much time between starting the course and applying. Most colleges want the application done by the end of November.
Reply 4
Original post by tm1210
Thanks for the reply.

Mathematics is definitely what I'll take. Seeing how I do would seem a good base on what path to take as I'd guess you'd be a pretty hopeless engineer without the Math skills:smile: Science might give me a good understanding of this also. My collage hold....

SA Science
Biology
Chem
Physics

I was thinking single award might give me a broader scope or would taking 2 of the more intense courses be better?

Hi, just thought I would put my two cents worth in regarding the science. Don't do the single science award as it really doesn't count for much. Take a couple of the sciences or all three!! (if you want to do that) as that will hold you in a much better position for your application to uni!
Reply 5
Original post by jaydeebee21

Picking a degree straight away isnt critical but narrowing it down to an area is key as it will help pick the pathway and options and you dont have much time between starting the course and applying. Most colleges want the application done by the end of November.

This is the thing. I'd like to have a fair idea of what I want to do before starting the access course as you really only are 2-3 month in before applying for uni.
Reply 6
Original post by luce20
Hi, just thought I would put my two cents worth in regarding the science. Don't do the single science award as it really doesn't count for much. Take a couple of the sciences or all three!! (if you want to do that) as that will hold you in a much better position for your application to uni!

Thanks I wasn't too sure to be honest. I think 2 Science subjects with Maths might be enough to get me going.
Reply 7
Hi
If you are looking at maths, it might be worth looking at a stats gcse too (if such a thing exists!).
We have just started a 15 wk stats unit (the longest individual uni on the course) on our Access to HE (Science) course and lots of people are really struggling with it.
According to our tutor, Stats is a compulsory part of any Access course and is also taught on almost every 1st year university course.
If I had known this was coming, I would have done more advanced maths to prepare for it as it is pretty hard going.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Kate
Reply 8
I would say taking Maths and English GCSE is a good idea......... aim to achieve C+ grades. The Access course provides GCSE grade C equivalence but some of the higher ranked Universities are a bit funny about accepting it, having the GCSE removes any doubt. Also, having recent (within 5 years I think) GCSE means you can arrange to skip the level 2 Maths and English classes which will ease your work load, giving you more time to focus on getting high marks for the level 3 assignments.

If you want to do a healthcare professional course then take a Science GCSE as well.

Pre-Access is meant to be good and it would certainly give you a taste of what to expect on the full fat version come 2012.

Apply early for your Access course as well....... my college is already interviewing people for September 2011 entry!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending