The Student Room Group

Is it possible to study English with Geography at University?

I've always loved English Literature and Geography since I was really young and I still love them now. I'm currently studying them as AS Levels. I was wondering if it is possible to study both at Uni like you can study English with History? I think the University of Exeter do it but I've heard of no others. I was wondering if Cambridge do it with their Tripos thing? (I don't really understand what this is though!) Has anyone ever studied these two? They seem like an odd combination but I disagree - I think they suit each other more than people think :smile: Thoughts?
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
:bump:
English AND geography?

Do... Do they mix?
Reply 4
it should be possible. just look at UCAS.

i've seen other weird combination, i know one person in my lecture doing maths and psychology.
Reply 5
A quick UCAS search shows lots of results
Reply 6
Original post by lexafish
A quick UCAS search shows lots of results

Ah thank you! Hmmm I've never even heard of 3/4 of those Unis :p: Not many results for Eng/Geog :frown: Will probably just have to stick with one lol :p:
Reply 7
Original post by S_123
Ah thank you! Hmmm I've never even heard of 3/4 of those Unis :p: Not many results for Eng/Geog :frown: Will probably just have to stick with one lol :p:

I'm at Keele, and as well as doing your main course, you can, if the timetable fits, pick up electives too in a different field. I think they do this in lots of other places too, so you could always do an English Lit. degree with a Geography elective every semester.
omg snap!!!
i thought i was being silly! geography and english are so amazing and i dont want to really give up geography! but i want to go to a uni in london
Reply 9
Original post by Ambiguousthinker
omg snap!!!
i thought i was being silly! geography and english are so amazing and i dont want to really give up geography! but i want to go to a uni in london

Yeah! I'd love to carry on with Geography but if it's between the two, English wins out. I wish more Unis did both :frown:
Reply 10
There are a few unis that offer them as a combination:

Aberystwyth (course code LQ73)
Bath Spa (QF38)
Chester (QF38)
Canterbury Christ Church(QL37/Q3L7/L7Q3)
Derby (FQ83)
Gloucestershire (FQF3)
Keele (LQR3)
St Andrews (QL37)
Reply 11
The Scottish system would probably let you do that, as well as courses like Flexible Studies or whatever they call it that you can find at Durham, Exeter, Manchester, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest