The Student Room Group

Nursing is naff - why nursing??

why would anyone want to do nursing and not medicine?
do people only do nursing if they dont have the good grades needed for beign a Dr?

why would you choose to read monitors and empty bedpans all day?

i wish i could like nursing as it is so much cheaper to study than medicine and only 2-3 years

EDIT: yeah guys sorry about the title. i do very much respect nurses. but i dont see why anyone would want to be one other than not getting into med school? i wish i would WANT to do nursing as it is internationally recognised, you can travel and not much years or $$ study. but i just cant help seeing it as a lesser occupation than drs. why did you want to do nursing and not medicine?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Why are you concerned about the costs of doing medicine anyway? I thought you already had a career as a lawyer or accountant? (not sure which)

I'm beginning to believe people when they say you are a troll.
Reply 2
Please refrain from making pointless threads like this in the future.
Reply 3
Original post by shinytoy
do people only do nursing if they dont have the good grades needed for beign a Dr?

i wish i could like nursing as it is so much cheaper to study than medicine and only 2-3 years

Someone has to do these jobs and I think it very respectable that some people chose to do such a job to help others.

This is a pointless thread and pretty rude towards nurses.
Reply 4
Doctors treat illness, nurses care for people.

They're actually pretty different.

Most nurses are generally pretty laid back, well used to being patronised by doctors and don't get p!ssed off easily, so you probably won't get the reaction you're hoping for here ;-)
Reply 5
Nurses are the largest group of health care professionals situated within a hospital if you take away the nurses then there would be no hospital
There are so many different areas of nursing and things you can do other than read a monitor and bedpans, you can also work your way up to nurse consultant which is well paid. I think a lot of people are still stuck with the stereotype of a nurse just doing the not so good jobs. I respect them a lot.
Reply 7

Oh dear such outdated and ill informed views!!!!!!!.Nurses DO NOT just "read monitors and empty bed pans all day".People do not do nursing if they dont have good enough grades to be a doctor either.Please refrain from dumbing down the profession of nursing, its a bloody hard job!!!!!.
Reply 8
You obviously have a very narrow view of nursing/ nurses.

Good look making this thread in here!
Reply 9
Original post by Larrabee
Doctors treat illness, nurses care for people.

They're actually pretty different.

Most nurses are generally pretty laid back, well used to being patronised by doctors and don't get p!ssed off easily, so you probably won't get the reaction you're hoping for here ;-)

Well said :biggrin:
x
Reply 10
Nurses do the bulk of caring. Nurses played Connect 4 with me while I was in hospital. :smile: All the doctors did was show up in the morning with a load of medical students and point at me for being a newly diagnosed diabetic :l
Reply 11
What is wrong with you? Nursing is an incredibly demanding profession and a Nurse's job is completely different to to Doctor's. The ones who cared for me while I was at hospital having a foot operation are some of the loveliest people I've ever met. I hardly saw anything of my doctor, and it seemed like he didn't care about me at all.
(edited 13 years ago)

Nursing isn't cleaning bedpans, that's Healthcare assistants.

And yeah- you can get in nursing with **** grades, but if you want to progress up the NHS bands you need to take lots of courses and exams to make yourself employable. My mum is a nurse and earns £40,000- a lot for cleaning bedpans, don't you think? I certainly wouldn't want you being my nurse, so please keep out of the profession.
I have never had the desire to be doctor, whereas I've always wanted to be a nurse.
I really enjoy caring for people :dontknow:
Whenever my little sister or I have been in hospital we would see the doctor once in the morning who would read notes, write stuff down and then talk to the nurses. Whereas the nurses would be with us all day, they would be the ones administering the medicine and looking after us. But that is just my personal experience.

I don't think I'd be really excited to be a nurse if it was just reading monitors and emptying bedpans...

Oh and the grades, that's all changing (up here anyway). Last year (and all the years before) you just needed 5 standard grades for nursing, this year is 3 highers, next year is 5.
(edited 13 years ago)
Nursing is a caring profession. People do nursing because they prefer dealing with the patients, doctors spend very little time with the actual patient. Both are vital in the treatment of a patient and neither is better than the other.

Just because you can get into nursing with lower grades doesn't mean all nurses have low grades.
Reply 15
Original post by babygirl110
Why are you concerned about the costs of doing medicine anyway? I thought you already had a career as a lawyer or accountant? (not sure which)

I'm beginning to believe people when they say you are a troll.

yeah i have an undergrad in law, a good finance job and postgrad in fince. pays well but hate it and need a greater meaning to life. i spent the past year doing 5 vocational diplomas in alternative medicine while working full time in fihnance and now i want a proper career conversion. i looked into doing my osteo masters at the end of last year but am now considering if mainstream medicine or nursing is better - i want someothng internationally recognised as i want to move abroad and also want to work for like medicin sans frontiers or something similar in relief work or developing countries.
Reply 16
Nursing is internationally recognised.Some of my friends have worked abroad after qualifying.

OP, you dont sound like you are suited to be a nurse though, it requires someone who is empathetic and has a caring nature.I've seen your posts and you seem to lack the aforementioned qualities.
(edited 13 years ago)
yeah i have an undergrad in law, a good finance job and postgrad in fince. pays well but hate it and need a greater meaning to life. i spent the past year doing 5 vocational diplomas in alternative medicine while working full time in fihnance and now i want a proper career conversion. i looked into doing my osteo masters at the end of last year but am now considering if mainstream medicine or nursing is better - i want someothng internationally recognised as i want to move abroad and also want to work for like medicin sans frontiers or something similar in relief work or developing countries.

Okay fair enough.

It's just that your post comes as an insult to people in nursing as well as those considering doing it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18

i wish i would WANT to do nursing as it is internationally recognised, you can travel and not much years or $$ study.

Kind of answered your own question there, junior.

How about another angle - the exit opportunities?

My mum went up through to band H, then was headhunted to go work for a drug company and made mucho dinero. Now she runs her own business and is doing nicely.

But I know this is a troll post, so you won't value the serious response.
Reply 19
Original post by bornfishy
Kind of answered your own question there, junior.

How about another angle - the exit opportunities?

My mum went up through to band H, then was headhunted to go work for a drug company and made mucho dinero. Now she runs her own business and is doing nicely.

But I know this is a troll post, so you won't value the serious response.

ok guys i got off on the wrong foot. yeah you can make money out of nursing. but i really want to work in developing countries and travel, am not too fussed about earnings as long as i can live - if i wanted ££$£ i would stay in finance where i am now. i just cant help seeing nursing as a lesser occupation than medicine. maybe i should do work exp in both? i remember the nurses at uni tand they were out getting laid and mashed every nigth and most didnt have any a levels.

Quick Reply

Latest