The Student Room Group

Help with firm and insurance

I am really stuck between two universities but want to do them as my firm and insurance so i can start applying for accommodation. If i was to put a uni as my insurance but met the grades for my firm could i still go to the uni which is my insurance?
Reply 1
At the end of they day, out of the two choices you have, you can chose either of the two to ultimatly go to, even thoughyou mayhave reached the requirments for your firm. However be careful, i recently learnt that your insruance uni wont let you hold any accomodation, so you will have to deal with what's left if you chose your insruance over your firm.
Original post by tula baby
I am really stuck between two universities but want to do them as my firm and insurance so i can start applying for accommodation. If i was to put a uni as my insurance but met the grades for my firm could i still go to the uni which is my insurance?

Yes, if you ask your firm to release you.

If you meet the grades for your firm offer, your insurance choice isn't obligated to take you if you reject your firm on results day then try and get into your insurance. As far as they're concerned, you met the grades for your firm so you aren't their problem. The only way you can get around this is by speaking to both universities and UCAS and asking them to switch your choices, meaning you aren't rejecting either of them, just swapping them around so that your insurance choice does effectively become your firm. If its listed as your insurance, they can say no. Therefore, you need to be very clear with what you want as if you ask the firm university to "release" you, you'll be in the situation I said above where your insurance doesn't have to take you. However, if you speak to the universities about switching your choices your insurance may well say no if they do not have the space for you. If they weren't banking on you coming and they're already over subscribed, they'll be stressing about what to do with their firm offer holders, not random people who now want to go there, whereas alternatively, if your firm is oversubscribed they'll be more than happy to lose you elsewhere.

Original post by Lord dudek
At the end of they day, out of the two choices you have, you can chose either of the two to ultimatly go to, even thoughyou mayhave reached the requirments for your firm. However be careful, i recently learnt that your insruance uni wont let you hold any accomodation, so you will have to deal with what's left if you chose your insruance over your firm.

That depends on the university. Some universities do not allocate accommodation to anyone until they are unconditional firm, meaning for A level students, nothing will happen until after results day. Edinburgh have this policy, as do Glasgow (who were my insurance) as you apply for accommodation in advance regardless of whether they're your firm or insurance but you won't get anything until they know you're coming. Similarly, some universities want insurance candidates to apply for accommodation whereas others make you wait until results day.

Read my comments above with regards to switching your offer. It isn't as black and white as you appear to think.

Original post by yahyahyahs

See above.
Reply 4
Original post by oxymoronic
If you meet the grades for your firm offer, your insurance choice isn't obligated to take you if you reject your firm on results day then try and get into your insurance. As far as they're concerned, you met the grades for your firm so you aren't their problem. The only way you can get around this is by speaking to both universities and UCAS and asking them to switch your choices, meaning you aren't rejecting either of them, just swapping them around so that your insurance choice does effectively become your firm. If its listed as your insurance, they can say no. Therefore, you need to be very clear with what you want as if you ask the firm university to "release" you, you'll be in the situation I said above where your insurance doesn't have to take you. However, if you speak to the universities about switching your choices your insurance may well say no if they do not have the space for you. If they weren't banking on you coming and they're already over subscribed, they'll be stressing about what to do with their firm offer holders, not random people who now want to go there, whereas alternatively, if your firm is oversubscribed they'll be more than happy to lose you elsewhere.

That depends on the university. Some universities do not allocate accommodation to anyone until they are unconditional firm, meaning for A level students, nothing will happen until after results day. Edinburgh have this policy, as do Glasgow (who were my insurance) as you apply for accommodation in advance regardless of whether they're your firm or insurance but you won't get anything until they know you're coming. Similarly, some universities want insurance candidates to apply for accommodation whereas others make you wait until results day.

Read my comments above with regards to switching your offer. It isn't as black and white as you appear to think.

See above.

I am still rusty on this, and have posted a threat about it myself. So you do apply for accomodation at your frim and insurance before you have even decided which is which? and what happens when your uni does know that is the firm/insruance, will it reject reservations for the accomodation if it is the insurance?

I am still rusty on this, and have posted a threat about it myself. So you do apply for accomodation at your frim and insurance before you have even decided which is which? and what happens when your uni does know that is the firm/insruance, will it reject reservations for the accomodation if it is the insurance?

No, first of all you make your decisions for your firm and insurance. This is the same everywhere, you can not be applying for accommodation somewhere if you haven't replied to let them know that you might be coming. Once you've made your decisions, universities know that they are your firm or insurance choice as obviously this impacts on the information they send to you and ask you to send to them.

Then from here, it all depends on the universities policy. Some will make all firm and insurance candidates apply for accommodation at the same time whereas some will only ask firm candidates to apply. Then, after applications, some universities will give out accommodation offers to applicants with the university as their conditional firm choice before results day whereas others will only give out accommodation to people who are unconditional firm, meaning they are definitely going.

Then on results day, some universities will have already dealt with all of their firm offer holders so will then dole out the remaining accommodation to their insurance candidates, who may have been asked to apply to advance or may just get whatever is left. Some universities do not guarantee accommodation to insurance candidates, meaning in this case, you'd then have to look for a private room. However, some universities will not have given out any accommodation to anyone who had a conditional offer meaning after results day, they will collate all of the insurance/firm choices together and give out accommodation to everyone at once. As an insurance offer holder, these universities offer your best chance of being treated "fairly" because by then everyone is an unconditional firm, has the same status, and it makes no difference what your original decision was for that university.

No university will accept accommodation applications from candidates that have not accepted an offer - which involves deciding which is firmly accepted and which is the insurance offer. As has been stated above, not all universities allow accommodation choices to be made before the offer becomes unconditional, and few allow insurance offer holders to choose accommodation.

yahyahyahs

If you do this after results are published you get release into clearing, not to your insurance offer. The latest you can safely do this is a week before the UCAS Track service closes in advance of results being published.
Reply 7
Original post by oxymoronic
No, first of all you make your decisions for your firm and insurance. This is the same everywhere, you can not be applying for accommodation somewhere if you haven't replied to let them know that you might be coming. Once you've made your decisions, universities know that they are your firm or insurance choice as obviously this impacts on the information they send to you and ask you to send to them.

Then from here, it all depends on the universities policy. Some will make all firm and insurance candidates apply for accommodation at the same time whereas some will only ask firm candidates to apply. Then, after applications, some universities will give out accommodation offers to applicants with the university as their conditional firm choice before results day whereas others will only give out accommodation to people who are unconditional firm, meaning they are definitely going.

Then on results day, some universities will have already dealt with all of their firm offer holders so will then dole out the remaining accommodation to their insurance candidates, who may have been asked to apply to advance or may just get whatever is left. Some universities do not guarantee accommodation to insurance candidates, meaning in this case, you'd then have to look for a private room. However, some universities will not have given out any accommodation to anyone who had a conditional offer meaning after results day, they will collate all of the insurance/firm choices together and give out accommodation to everyone at once. As an insurance offer holder, these universities offer your best chance of being treated "fairly" because by then everyone is an unconditional firm, has the same status, and it makes no difference what your original decision was for that university.

ok thankyou, it's all pretty clear now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending