The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nuodai
In what world are A*A*A*A*AAAABBBB poor GCSE grades?! These threads are really starting to get boring. I'm really holding myself back from ranting here; there are so many things I want to say that I'm refraining from saying :p: For what it's worth, I only got 2 A*s, and I know people with more than 2 Bs who have offers. Additionally, the GCSEs that you got Bs in aren't really relevant to your degree, so I don't see the problem. Apply goddammit.

:ditto: How can you think these GCSEs are poor?
Firstly I don't think that anyone is saying that 4 A*s is poor, more that it may be poor by Cambridge standards (which is true, as far as GCSE's matter) - this thread was made in the cambridge forum so there's little point getting all offended by it.

To the OP, certainly you have a strong chance of getting in, but you need to firstly email your subject DoS at your chosen college with your grades and ask about interview invitation criteria; some do have blanket rules and cut off points, for example, not calling to interview anyone with less than 5 A*s, etc (outside the SAS), so obviously you don't want to be rejected automatically by one college when you could be accepted after interview elsewhere. Most colleges as far as I'm aware don't have such rules but as you are a boderline case it is definitely worth checking.

Once you have an invitation to interview, tbh it's really that that is decisive; a brilliant interview will completely obliterate any slightly lacking GCSEs
The only option for you right now is death. :facepalm:
timelordess
Ahhhh, I tried reading Buddenbrooks too, but I was revising for my mocks at the time and it was a bit hefty so I left it for a while. If you like the whole Faust thing you should read Goethe's Faust (Oxford World Classics one is good!) I got quite into that but now I have to read the actual thing in German it's a bit daunting. :s-smilie:

Yikes. Reading Buddenbrooks is dedication, whatever the language. I watched the videos the other week(borrowed from school, the '78 version or whatever) and really enjoyed the 10h epic. All these social dramas can be really really good. Urfaust is on the Part IA German reading list, so I started on it lately, just couldn't get anywhere with it. :/

on topic: I wish I'd spent more time reading books and watching films back then rather than worrying about what now seem like insignificant details of my application.
Reply 2064
Deutsch_Beth
The thing that worries me is my grades. I got at GCSE:
A* in French, German, English Literature and English Language.
A in Science, Further Science, Maths and Art.
B in Graphic Design, Religious Studies, ICT (DiDA) and Welsh.

I then took French, German, English Lit and English Media at AS.
I got As in all 4 - 100% in Media, 89% in French, 85% in German and about 83% in English Lit.

Knowing Cambridge's view on Media, I dropped it, and also as I will be predicted A* in German and French so I needed to only have 3 subjects to concentrate on the languages.
So I'm now taking French, German and English, to be predicted A*A*A I think.

Hiya, those grades are definitely good enough, I was just wondering about you being predicted an A* in French and German. I have just finished an A2 in French, and it is a very big jump between what you need to get a good grade in AS and what you need in A2. For example my module results are AAB (AS modules) CCD (A2 modules) - a B overall, which is clearly brought up by the AS modules. You will probably be able to get an A, but if you managed below 90% in AS are you confident you can get 90% in the A2 to get the A*?
ily_em
Hiya, those grades are definitely good enough, I was just wondering about you being predicted an A* in French and German. I have just finished an A2 in French, and it is a very big jump between what you need to get a good grade in AS and what you need in A2. For example my module results are AAB (AS modules) CCD (A2 modules) - a B overall, which is clearly brought up by the AS modules. You will probably be able to get an A, but if you managed below 90% in AS are you confident you can get 90% in the A2 to get the A*?

Some people under perform in AS, but that's besides the point.

Cambridge won't take any notice of A* predictions, they have said. They will regard any A* predictions as A predictions.

Plus, some colleges in Cambridge have said they may not be using the A* in arts subjects (can't remember the source).

The poster you quoted just has to make sure she works hard. :smile:
It'll only get worse at Cambridge... :p:
Reply 2066
AllUnits
Grammar school education is state education too, just run and managed differently. Infact, Kent, an all grammar school county, gets the worst grades in the UK.

Why can't we just all do the same ******* things and have the same opportunities though?

Sorry, thought the two were synonomous! Let me correct myself, they were schools whereby education was funded privately i.e. private sector.
Reply 2067
Deutsch_Beth
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I am from a state school, I didn't know this would affect my chances that much :s-smilie: It wouldn't put me off obviously but you're right I shouldn't set my hopes too high.

To the people criticizing me: I have never known anyone get accepted to Oxbridge without literally straight A*s. A few people get accepted from my school every year, but they are the highest performing students you could pretty much possibly have. And compared to the rest of my peers applying to Oxbridge this year, I am the only one with Bs.
Hardly an excuse for my apparent ignorance, more of an explanation.

Thankyou for the constructive advice though guys! I feel encouraged :smile:

Hey, Thats okay! You won't know if you don't apply... :smile: Go for it! I don't think they are going to penalise you for B's, just dont heighten your expectations because I, proberly, you can tell was very bitter at Oxford's decision but thats life, and everything happens for a reason.
Reply 2068
Deutsch_Beth
Hm okay I withdraw the poor. I meant as in, are the things I have been told about the 5A*s and more than 2Bs true, will it stop me from getting an interview/offer.

Not necessarily, but not applying at all most certainly will. That's all there is to say, really. Your grades are good enough that you can be fairly confident in getting an interview, as Cambridge interview all candidates they believe have a fair chance in getting a place, and I would be surprised if you don't fall into that category in their esteem. Beyond that, GCSE's aren't nearly as important as interview performance and predicted/achieved A Level grades. In short, apply.
_Fleur_
Not necessarily, but not applying at all most certainly will. That's all there is to say, really. Your grades are good enough that you can be fairly confident in getting an interview, as Cambridge interview all candidates they believe have a fair chance in getting a place, and I would be surprised if you don't fall into that category in their esteem. Beyond that, GCSE's aren't nearly as important as interview performance and predicted/achieved A Level grades. In short, apply.

Good advice, thanks :smile:
And good point about not applying lol.
Reply 2070
Deutsch_Beth
Good advice, thanks :smile:
And good point about not applying lol.

No problem. I've basically just gone through the whole to apply/not to apply dilemma myself, although for slightly different reasons, and that's the conclusion I came to. Best of luck with your application. :grin:
It's not really grades related but I thought someone could help on this thread.

Is 2 books you like and a weekly magazine enough wider reading to put on your statement?
Or should I put one more on that i've read?
BrightGirl
It's not really grades related but I thought someone could help on this thread.

Is 2 books you like and a weekly magazine enough wider reading to put on your statement?
Or should I put one more on that i've read?

It depends on how you used them and what else is on your personal statement. As an example, I know some people put no books at all but still have sufficient content.
Help Please!
I have 9 A stars at GCSE, but now I have only 3As and a B at AS level. Module marks are 90% Economics, 81% Maths, 80% Chemistry (dropping that though), and 79.5% History.
Is it worth me applying with those (by Cambridge's standard) poor marks?
FatboyGinger
Help Please!
I have 9 A stars at GCSE, but now I have only 3As and a B at AS level. Module marks are 90% Economics, 81% Maths, 80% Chemistry (dropping that though), and 79.5% History.
Is it worth me applying with those (by Cambridge's standard) poor marks?

Your UMS marks are a bit low, but you could get a place with a good interview. And it's only one place on UCAS.
alex_hk90
It depends on how you used them and what else is on your personal statement. As an example, I know some people put no books at all but still have sufficient content.

Oh okay. So they wouldn't not interview me/reject me on the fact there's not enough reading on there?
BrightGirl
Oh okay. So they wouldn't not interview me/reject me on the fact there's not enough reading on there?

I seriously doubt it. If your grades and predictions are up to scratch you should get an interview. :smile: Then all you can do is perform on the day. To be honest I personally doubt the PS is that important at all, as long as it isn't terrible (obviously).
alex_hk90
I seriously doubt it. If your grades and predictions are up to scratch you should get an interview. :smile: Then all you can do is perform on the day. To be honest I personally doubt the PS is that important at all, as long as it isn't terrible (obviously).

Alrighty, thanks :smile:
Reply 2078
Ok. So,

I am an IB student. I have a predicted score of.. (7 in Chem HL)..(6 in Math HL)...(6 in Physics HL)..(.7 in History SL)...(5 in English SL)...(6 in French SL)...+3(E.E. and T.O.K.) ..which makes a total of 40.

I am planning to apply for engineering at Cambridge. Please let me know about my chances to get an interview?
Reply 2079
vish111
Ok. So,

I am an IB student. I have a predicted score of.. (7 in Chem HL)..(6 in Math HL)...(6 in Physics HL)..(.7 in History SL)...(5 in English SL)...(6 in French SL)...+3(E.E. and T.O.K.) ..which makes a total of 40.

I am planning to apply for engineering at Cambridge. Please let me know about my chances to get an interview?

HEY my grades are similar!!

HL Chinese B 7
HL Econ 6
HL Theatre arts 6
Sl Maths 7
Sl biology 7
Sl english A1 5 -.-
TOK EE 3

but then
I just got feedback from the admissions tutor at the Cambridge college I'm applying to - Apparently you will need 40 points(which I have got) and 776 for HIGHER LEVEL!!!!!!!!! I'm panicing at the moment since I only have 766.. However on the site it says : "Offers are regularly made on the International Baccalaureate, at a level of between 7,6,6 and 7,7,7 in the Higher Level subjects, with overall scores between 38 and 42 points out of 45."

Does anyone know if the grade I need will definitely be 776?

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending