The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aw thank you very much :biggrin:
im just very appreciative to everyone who has shared their comments and taken time to help me:smile:

I have to agree with you because i must admit, English lit is a doddle for me, i dont know why but it just clicks, however history is much more difficult, and R.S even though i understand philosophy easily, find it difficult to get the marks in the real exams. English lit you can use your own ideas and argue your idea across, however you cannot bluff your way through a history exam or an RS exam

tough world
haha
kjc_us
Yes, but it is absolutely wonderful. :love:

Nah. Oxford is better, Original and best. Thats what I say. :wink:
writergirl
aw thank you very much :biggrin:
im just very appreciative to everyone who has shared their comments and taken time to help me:smile:

I have to agree with you because i must admit, English lit is a doddle for me, i dont know why but it just clicks, however history is much more difficult, and R.S even though i understand philosophy easily, find it difficult to get the marks in the real exams. English lit you can use your own ideas and argue your idea across, however you cannot bluff your way through a history exam or an RS exam

tough world
haha

The simple key to History and RS is memory and revision, remember all the facts and then just regurgitate them in the correct order when it matters. Also crucial is interest, if you don't like it then you shouldnt have done it.
Reply 383
With the 90 UMS requirement for pooling, does it have to be 90 UMS in each module or an average of 90 UMS in the three modules?
Reply 384
Hedgehunter
The simple key to History and RS is memory and revision, remember all the facts and then just regurgitate them in the correct order when it matters. Also crucial is interest, if you don't like it then you shouldnt have done it.

Well, yes and no.

The "key", if you must insist on having one, is interest and a bit of work. Failing that, go with memory and regurgitation.

But let's treat these things as interesting disciplines in their own rights, and not reduce them to pathetic exam syllabuses and mark schemes, shall we?

(NB: This isn't just a dig at you, Hudgehunter).
Gooj
With the 90 UMS requirement for pooling, does it have to be 90 UMS in each module or an average of 90 UMS in the three modules?

I'm pretty sure that it's an average (i.e. 270/300 in each of your 3 most relevant subjects).
Reply 386
Thats fantastic, thanks
Reply 387
fat_hobbit
"hence why i published my book a few months ago" :rolleyes: ...how pretentious, do not write that in your PS.

That's exactly what I told the OP, it looks like it's heading that way
Reply 388
Hedgehunter

But if you haven't tried something, then you wouldn't know if you'll enjoy it, especially since in some subjects, the AS is very different to GCSE.

For example, I sorta hated some aspects of GCSE Physics such as logic gates, but enjoyed the rest, which is the only thing that put me off from taking it at AS, because I thought it would be more logic gates sorta stuff. I then regretted it as loads of people told me that Physics AS doesn't include logic gates and is quite enjoyable.

But I would agree with you that in general, you should be taking subjects that you enjoy, rather than subjects you detest, as that would only make you do worse in the subject, unless you just like exams or something.

Anyways OP, go for it. I'm not gonna give you false hope or anything as alot of people that have gotten AAAA have been rejected. But you wont know unless you try. And it may be something you come to regret either way [as in if you choose to go for it or if you don't], so you might as well.
Reply 389
With 1.5A*s 4.5As and 4Bs at GCSE, AAAA with a 91, 94, 95 and 97 UMS in each subject in my ASs, am i good enough t get into cambridge - i.e. how strong am i in comparison to everyone else applying.

I want to do economics and i go to a below average comprehensive school.

Thanks. :smile:
Gooj
With 1.5A*s 4.5As and 4Bs at GCSE, AAAA with a 91, 94, 95 and 97 UMS in each subject in my ASs, am i good enough t get into cambridge - i.e. how strong am i in comparison to everyone else applying.

The performance of your school should be taken into account, and with those grades you will almost certainly get an interview. At that stage it's anyone's guess; I'd say that you would be slightly above the average candidate with those UMS scores. What subjects did you do at AS?
02mik_e
That's exactly what I told the OP, it looks like it's heading that way

as i explained earlier, that is out of context, and i am NOT going to write that on my personal statement. i have a bit more common sense than that, thank you :smile:. i only stated a fact, not practisiting my personal statement. i know it looks pretentious, therefore i am not including it like that in my PS. Dont worry, i wont embarass myself by writing that, it is merely cringe worthyy haha

thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 392
Gooj

Thanks. :smile:

Nobody here can tell you if you're good enough to "get into Cambridge". We're not admissions tutors. But we can tell you that you'll almost certainly get an interview; your ASs are certainly good enough, and your GCSEs, though below average for a Cambridge applicant, are fine as well.

Likewise, it's difficult to say how strong you are in comparison to other applicants. For starters, nobody knows who these other applicants are yet. :wink: Cohorts vary from year to year. Most will probably have similar or lower AS grades, and higher GCSE grades. But Cambridge aren't looking just at your grades: they'll have your Personal Statement, your two interviews, maybe work you've sent in, probably an entrance exam as well. All this helps make up a profile to help admissions tutors judge whether you're suited to the course and university. Instead of worrying about grades - and yours really are fine, even though below average at GCSE - now's the time for you to start reading more about economics and maybe drafting your personal statement too. :smile:
epitome
Well, yes and no.

The "key", if you must insist on having one, is interest and a bit of work. Failing that, go with memory and regurgitation.

But let's treat these things as interesting disciplines in their own rights, and not reduce them to pathetic exam syllabuses and mark schemes, shall we?

(NB: This isn't just a dig at you, Hudgehunter).

Hey! I enjoy History. All I was doing was stripping the method of exam success down to the bare minimum....there is far more to these subjects than just achievement in exams. I understand that of course! :yep:
Reply 394
writergirl
as i explained earlier, that is out of context, and i am NOT going to write that on my personal statement. i have a bit more common sense than that, thank you :smile:. i only stated a fact, not practisiting my personal statement. i know it looks pretentious, therefore i am not including it like that in my PS. Dont worry, i wont embarass myself by writing that, it is merely cringe worthyy haha

thanks anyway :smile:

ah no worries, sorry if i just went on :frown: :smile:
02mik_e
ah no worries, sorry if i just went on :frown: :smile:

aw no, dont apologise:smile:. I didnt mean to sound nasty, but trust me, i will NOT include that in my PS haha, it is quite funny when i look back at it, can you imagine reading that on a PS, my god, it would be in the bin straight away!

haha!

:smile:
writergirl
aw no, dont apologise:smile:. I didnt mean to sound nasty, but trust me, i will NOT include that in my PS haha, it is quite funny when i look back at it, can you imagine reading that on a PS, my god, it would be in the bin straight away!

haha!

:smile:

Haha....
Hedgehunter
Haha....

yessssss?????????
writergirl
yessssss?????????

Nothing, I just found the repetition of that phrase in your posts annoying...
i only wrote it twice but ok, sorry

Latest

Trending

Trending