The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

JUST RECEIVED MY OFFER FROM ST ANNE'S - ALLELUIA!!!

(moderators, sorry for the triple post!)
Reply 3981
Uh-oh. Major dilemma. I just found out that I'll qualify for home rates a year earlier than I originally thought (for entry in 2012) and there's a decent possibility I'll even qualify next year! Not sure if I could convince the department to defer my application if I do end up qualifying for home rates next year, but wow. Is it worth saving anywhere from £6,500-£9,000 to wait a year? Plus I'll be eligible for loads more scholarships! What if I can't get a job in the meantime? Ah, help!

Congrats, Liebest0d! It's about time :smile:.
Thank you! Even tho I didn't get accommodation :dontknow:
Reply 3983
tem11
Uh-oh. Major dilemma. I just found out that I'll qualify for home rates a year earlier than I originally thought (for entry in 2012) and there's a decent possibility I'll even qualify next year!

In what respect did you find this out? Its really tricky the home vs overseas rates thing in the UK.

Have you checked whether if you start your degree without deferring if you will have to pay overseas rate for the whole time (I suspect you may have to). That might impact your decision somewhat. If it is just for one year of overseas rates, followed by home rate, then you may want to consider the value of finishing uni one year earlier (or the life experience you get from working, etc.. and how that might contribute to a better uni experience).

Good luck!
Reply 3984
swiss7
In what respect did you find this out? Its really tricky the home vs overseas rates thing in the UK.

Have you checked whether if you start your degree without deferring if you will have to pay overseas rate for the whole time (I suspect you may have to). That might impact your decision somewhat. If it is just for one year of overseas rates, followed by home rate, then you may want to consider the value of finishing uni one year earlier (or the life experience you get from working, etc.. and how that might contribute to a better uni experience).

Good luck!

I'm in the UK on a spousal visa and am permanently immigrating to the UK. I was told it might be worth checking if I qualify for home rates even though I haven't been here for 3 full years on the basis that my husband is a UK citizen and I'm here on an immigrant visa. I contacted the fees clerk at Oxford who had me fill out a ton of forms and then said I'll definitely qualify in 2012 but might even qualify in 2011.

My degree is only a one year masters (for now, at least) so I either have to pay full whack now or wait a year or two and get a much more discounted rate. I think if they say I get home rates for 2011 entry, it's worth deferring/reapplying. If not...well, I'm not sure! It would probably depend on if I get one of the many jobs I've applied to. Thanks for your insight, though! Hopefully this is all sorted soon :smile:.
A while back I posted asking if grad students stick around for the holidays at Magdalen - I wanted to work out my accommodation costs.

Well, I found this well-concealed Magdalen junior members' handbook which answered my question (short answer: you can if you want) as well as others.

If you're going to be at Magdalen it's obv useful, but other colleges must have them too.

http://www.magd.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/3275/info-regs-2009.pdf

If we're only resident for, say, 24-6 weeks a year, college accommodation is much less expensive than I had thought.
Seham
Hello! I'm new to this thread but I thought I should prob try and meet people before I start!
I have an Offer at St Anne's college for a PGCE in Chemistry. Anyone else at the same college or doing a PGCE? :biggrin:

I will be at St Anne's, even tho I know nothing of Chemistry, so don't try me!

In other news, I was wondering if Martijn and Sooz were really serious about moving in together, since none of us got accommodation... I am probably talking to myself right now cause they are away on holidays... but oh well :biggrin:
CooCooCachoo
Welcome Seham! Does that countdown in your signature symbolise excitement or dread? I'm sorry I won't be able to hold any decent conversation on chemistry, but I look forward to meeting you nonetheless.

Thank you :h:

It's excitement! I can't wait :biggrin: :biggrin: Which college are you at?
Liebest0d

In other news, I was wondering if Martijn and Sooz were really serious about moving in together, since none of us got accommodation... I am probably talking to myself right now cause they are away on holidays... but oh well :biggrin:

Ok :biggrin: What are you doing there?
Seham
Ok :biggrin: What are you doing there?

Having the time of my life! :p: Ermm I mean, reading Greek literature and cinema.
Liebest0d
JUST RECEIVED MY OFFER FROM ST ANNE'S - ALLELUIA!!!

(moderators, sorry for the triple post!)

Already told you elsewhere, but woohoo :woo:
Seham
Thank you :h:

It's excitement! I can't wait :biggrin: :biggrin: Which college are you at?

St. Antony's :cool:

If the DPIR ever mail me my contract, that is :eek:
Liebest0d

Well, I am still keeping hope that I will be granted university accommodation. Results of the St. Ant's ballot should come out next month. If I prove to be unlucky, I will seriously focus on private accommodation, but for now I am holding that decision off.

No holiday for me, by the way. Not yet anyway; will be heading to London for 1½-2 weeks next month :biggrin: Am just visiting friends in the meantime.
CooCooCachoo
Well, I am still keeping hope that I will be granted university accommodation. Results of the St. Ant's ballot should come out next month. If I prove to be unlucky, I will seriously focus in private accommodation, but for now I am holding that decision off.

No holiday for me, by the way. Not yet anyway; will be heading to London for 1½-2 weeks next month :biggrin: Am just visiting friends in the meantime.

Oh sorry, I thought St. Ant's told u all rooms are allocated. It's what I was told by St Anne's, even tho I read somewhere on this forum that I can call around other colleges? How does it work exactly? :s-smilie: Well, if you don't find anything let me know. It's a bit early yet, true.

Visiting friends is better than actual holidays cause u get to be the guest, and its FREE... :biggrin:
Hi guys. I am given a room in a college, but they said they don't have kitchen facility. I don't think I want the meal plan, I wanna cook my own food. do you think I can still cook in the college??? if I bring a electric cooker or sth? is there smoke alarm inside?
any mircowave provided??
Liebest0d
Oh sorry, I thought St. Ant's told u all rooms are allocated. It's what I was told by St Anne's, even tho I read somewhere on this forum that I can call around other colleges? How does it work exactly? :s-smilie: Well, if you don't find anything let me know. It's a bit early yet, true.

Visiting friends is better than actual holidays cause u get to be the guest, and its FREE... :biggrin:

Well, they have reached their quota concerning the guaranteed accommodation they have available, but there is a ballot for less fortunate folks such as myself. So fingers crossed for that.

I honestly wouldn't know what numbers to dial, and I am rather hopeless in general when it comes to phone calls :p: I did send some e-mails, but to no avail as of yet.

Way better, except I still need to traverse half the country because I live in a hellhole. :rolleyes:
CooCooCachoo
Well, they have reached their quota concerning the guaranteed accommodation they have available, but there is a ballot for less fortunate folks such as myself. So fingers crossed for that.

I honestly wouldn't know what numbers to dial, and I am rather hopeless in general when it comes to phone calls :p: I did send some e-mails, but to no avail as of yet.

Way better, except I still need to traverse half the country because I live in a hellhole. :rolleyes:

I hope you get lucky, then, and get that much deserved room! And I doubt you live in a hellhole, I am not sure there is a single place on earth that qualifies for that. (Fine! I am in a good mood :p:)
Athena
Which college is it? The cooking facilities provided, and what equipment you can bring yourself, are really variable.

Wycliff. Did they say you can't cook there? they only have kettle & fridge for me.
Reply 3998
DragonGirl2
Wycliff. Did they say you can't cook there? they only have kettle & fridge for me.

That might be what they have in the rooms.. check the accomodation pdf on the website, which says the following:

Meals
1. Live in Students
Breakfast, lunch and an evening meal are provided in college during term time for all live in students,
details of these costs can be obtained from the Admissions Office.

Cooking facilities are provided in domestic sized kitchens near their accommodation.

2. Live out Students
During term time lunch during the week is usually provided for students not living in, spouses are very welcome to come as well, details of the costs of meals can be obtained from the Admissions Office. Children are very welcome to join us for lunch and children under the age of 5 can eat for free. There is also the opportunity to join in lunch on a Sunday.

http://www.wycliffehall.org.uk/temp/Accommodationsp2009hs1hs.pdf
tem11
Uh-oh. Major dilemma. I just found out that I'll qualify for home rates a year earlier than I originally thought (for entry in 2012) and there's a decent possibility I'll even qualify next year! Not sure if I could convince the department to defer my application if I do end up qualifying for home rates next year, but wow. Is it worth saving anywhere from £6,500-£9,000 to wait a year? Plus I'll be eligible for loads more scholarships! What if I can't get a job in the meantime? Ah, help!

Congrats, Liebest0d! It's about time :smile:.

It's worth asking the department, but I'm sorry to say it may not be possible. The DPIR told us this year that they were majorly cracking down on deferrals and suspensios, which are costing them, lots of money, and that financial reasons wouldn't necessarily be sufficient for deferring a place. Your circumstances are slightly different so it's worth asking, but I don't know what they'll say.

Latest

Trending

Trending