The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

alex_hk90
You have 3 As, so you will probably get an interview. That's really all we can say.

Good luck. :yep:

You're a bit of a genius alex, that's all I can say.
Hi -

I'm considering applying to Cambridge for entry in 2010 and was wondering if retaking modules is frowned upon?

I just had my C1 module today, and despite being confident for it, it kind of went quite badly. I think I might have got a B, but if it's not an A I'd definitely want to retake, but not sure if it would affect my application or not...?

Maths is definitely not a subject I'll be carry on next year though; next year I'll be carrying on English, History and Politics, and also doing General Studies.

best not to cos you gotta tell them all grades including retakes and i believe they ask which modules if any were retaken (dunno if that still happens now). Although if you got a B you'd better retake it in june ahead of applications else you'd need to explain it to your interviewer :s-smilie:
Hi I had an interview at Cambridge in December and I had retaken several modules (approx one for each A-Level)

What I would say is that if you do have to retake, then it is likely you will have to knock their socks off at the interview stage, whereas perfect module scores are more impressive. At the moment I really wouldn't worry, concentrate on any other exams you may have and wait until results come out in March!

Best of Luck
coldfusion
best not to cos you gotta tell them all grades including retakes and i believe they ask which modules if any were retaken (dunno if that still happens now). Although if you got a B you'd better retake it in june ahead of applications else you'd need to explain it to your interviewer :s-smilie:

Yes you do have to declare all retakes on your SAQ form for Cambridge (I'm not sure whether you have to with Oxford)

As for getting a B its really not the end of the world - you can easily make the marks up in other exams so it might not even be necessary to retake.

Your interviewer may ask about it, then again they may not, but I think if you show enough passion for your subject and enthusiasm for learning etc then it shouldn't be a really big thing.
What would they say if you did AS maths in year 11, got an A, over 90% in all modules, then retook it in January year 12 and got lower? :ninja:
Reply 966
BrightGirl
What would they say if you did AS maths in year 11, got an A, over 90% in all modules, then retook it in January year 12 and got lower? :ninja:

You can't get lower?
LH123
You can't get lower?

You have to tell them if you retook it, don't you?
Reply 968
BrightGirl
You have to tell them if you retook it, don't you?

Err, I'm not sure. Why the hell did you retake after such a great result?
LH123
Err, I'm not sure. Why the hell did you retake after such a great result?

I thought i'd forget it, and I didn't see the point in sitting in the lessons when i'm not doing an exam at the end...:frown: shoot, I hope I do better.
Reply 970
BrightGirl
I thought i'd forget it, and I didn't see the point in sitting in the lessons when i'm not doing an exam at the end...:frown: shoot, I hope I do better.

:wtf?:
LH123
:wtf?:

Lol I picked further maths and thought I might as well redo the AS anyway... Gawwd what a stupid idea.
Reply 972
BrightGirl
Lol I picked further maths and thought I might as well redo the AS anyway... Gawwd what a stupid idea.

I must agree. :p:

However, I am sure the fact you got such an amazing grade in year 11 will work tremendously in your favour.
LH123
I must agree. :p:

However, I am sure the fact you got such an amazing grade in year 11 will work tremendously in your favour.

Haha I could just say that I errr... There's no excuse for actually getting worse! Maybe I could say that I lost interest doing it for the second time and spent my time reading ahead to the A level course...:shifty:
Reply 974
BrightGirl
Haha I could just say that I errr... There's no excuse for actually getting worse! Maybe I could say that I lost interest doing it for the second time and spent my time reading ahead to the A level course...:shifty:

Nah, you are supposed to love maths universally. :wink:

I'm not sure you will need an excuse, assuming you a apply, anyway. Just make sure you get good grades in every other subject. :grin:
LH123
Nah, you are supposed to love maths universally. :wink:

I'm not sure you will need an excuse, assuming you a apply, anyway. Just make sure you get good grades in every other subject. :grin:

haha yeah, might not apply if I do crap in my other subjects. anyway, I should only start worrying when I get my results in march :p:
Reply 976
BrightGirl
haha yeah, might not apply if I do crap in my other subjects. anyway, I should only start worrying when I get my results in march :p:

Indeed, you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. :p:

Good luck anyway. :ninja:
Reply 977
I resat 2 modules and also declared my intention to resit another module on my SAQ. They didn't bring any of this up at interview so I'm not sure the extent to which they care. I was advised not to resit by some teachers because it might count againt me in respect to my Cambridge application but what I thought (and my advice to you) is that ensuring you get A's should be the priority. Cambridge (for me at least) was always going to be a long shot and by failing to get the A's I could end up at no uni.

Best not to think about it too much until you've got the results though.
Cambridge tend to weight UMS marks quite heavily when assessing an applicant. That being said, I retook two exams that I had originally taken in January in June, but my original marks were still A grades - albeit low ones.

Conclusion: do well on the rest of your modules and you shouldn't have too much to worry about. :smile:
Oxford gave my friend a place and she's resitting three modules. (Not in her degree subject)

Latest

Trending

Trending