The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
thats not true I got a reply from st johns yesterday and they said it is fine to retake in order to get a higher mark, in both AS and A2 but just as long as you do not retake the final examination at the end of the summer.
Reply 1341
fumblewomble
Does John’s accept re-sits?
Examination grades should be gained at one sitting, and St John's College does not accept applications based on retakes.

http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/faqs/#17

Do you only ever post links? In that they mean re-sits of entire levels (e.g. doing it in three years) not resitting individual modules.
generalebriety
I got a B in M1 and I'm at Cambridge doing maths. Unless you're doing pretty poorly, it really doesn't matter.

Really? You must have done exceptionally in your other modules. I messed up my chem2 so this gives me hope.=D
maaahhhh I think I'm going to get a B/C in a history module (A2) - do you think it will be worth re-taking it in January after interview, and how do you think it will affect my chances? I had really bad tonsillitis that day!
Tomato_Soup1992
Really? You must have done exceptionally in your other modules. I messed up my chem2 so this gives me hope.=D

Well, yes. The point is that messing up a module doesn't matter if you're good. If you're in danger of messing up more than one module, perhaps you're not as good as you think. That all comes across in interview, anyway.
Reply 1345
You won't get in if you don't apply. Your GCSEs are nothing to shout about, but if you can get A*AA and if you tell them about your mitigating circumstances, they shouldn't be an issue; so really it's down to your interview. No-one here can tell whether or not you'll get in, that's the uni's decision :p:
Will you get in? You might, though most people don't. There is no "ok, I've ticked all these boxes, now I'll get in". You should also look at CSAS.

phil.
Hell yeah, make sure you write a good Personal Statement though xD.
Reply 1348
Who knows...

If only I had the It's a mystery smilie *sigh*
You could get in, especially if you explain your circumstances. But nobody knows for sure.(and don't worry about your GCSEs, they are not the greatest but you were ill and Cambridge do understand that sometimes you don't do your best work at 16).

People do get in with those grades, and others get rejected with 12 A*s and four As at A level. Just try your best, you won't get in if you don't apply.
:iiam:
Nobody knows for sure - one thing we can't really tell from here is how you're going to convince the college that you're really into history and how your interests take you beyond your A-level studies.

But you definitely have a fighting chance. Apply!
:iiam:
It depends how much you do with your free time as well.. what life experiences you have to shout about. It's not all about the grades!
But you're up against people like my best mate, who got 11 A*s at GCSE, and will get absolute top grades at AS this year, and no doubt A2 next year!
But like someone ^^ up there said, you can't get in if you never apply!
Cambridge do have a special applications route, basically it allows you to let them know of any circumstances beyond your control - i gather it must be signed off by your tutor and another staff member i think, but its definitely worht looking into - you don't know until you try. They may point out that ur GCSE's aren't good enough (even with your circumstances) but like another poster said, i know people that haven't got in with OUTSTANDING grades, a lot of it comes down to your personal statement and your interview if you get one. Having spoken to admissions bods at cambridge they want rounded balanced people over people who will burn out etc.

Ultimately? You don't know till you try. I wish i had.
:o:
(edited 9 years ago)
After reading your profile, you seem rather certain you're going to get in. Don't be. Most people who're better qualified than you won't and I hope your writing skills are much better than the ones you've shown on this forum. Try not to come across as arrogant, admissions tutors apparently don't really like that...

phil.
Reply 1357
Well one of your A levels (ICT) is in the 'only suitable as a 4th subject' list from Trinity College, and your Business Studies is in the 'Limited Suitability' category.

I can't find the university as a whole list.
WE DON'T KNOW! And more to the point, neither do you.

If its taken you 3 years to do 3Alevels because of the CF then realistically you won't be able to cope with the pressure of a Cambridge degree. I've had a form of CF for 5 years now, and I really really struggle while I'm here, even though I'm a lot better than I was at Alevel. Remember you have to look after yourself as well as do your work, and it will really take it out of you.

Don't let it hold you back, but think very carefully about your limitations, or it will beat you very quickly.
PJ991
Well one of your A levels (ICT) is in the 'only suitable as a 4th subject' list from Trinity College, and your Business Studies is in the 'Limited Suitability' category.

I can't find the university as a whole list.

That's because there's isn't one.

Latest

Trending

Trending