The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pink-moped
Im think my GCSE and AS grade just ant good enough for me to be in with a good chance at getting into cambridge, what to u think ???

SEE SIG

You could stand a chance.. Your grade's are good but keep in mind that Cambridge is quite competitive to get into.

Just make sure your personal statement stands out and what not.
slightly odd
I want to study Natural sciences at Cambridge but although I got A's for my AS subjects, they are not particularly high, I know I should have got much higher as I didn't do enough work but I have learned from my mistakes now. Do I have any chance at all? I only took three AS subjects this year because I took a BTEC in music too so I am continuing with all these and taking further maths AS next year.
Maths - 263/300
Physics - 254/300
Chemistry - 242/300
I really should have done better in maths, I really messed up M1 because I had a momentary blank. Do I have any chance or should I just decide not to waste an option and go for somewhere more realistic.

Of course you have some chance, but obviously you will be at a disadvantage to those with better marks, one which you will have to try to make up at interview.
Reply 1582
Your grades blast mine out of the water!
And I intend to apply to Cambridge!
I think if you are averaging 90%+ then on the grades front you are fine.

So my answer is - yes. :smile:
pink-moped
Im think my GCSE and AS grade just ant good enough for me to be in with a good chance at getting into cambridge, what to u think ???

SEE SIG

You got 5 As, why bother asking?
pink-moped

SEE SIG

I don't think that your grasp of english is sufficient, but I think that you know that your grades are sufficient. Grades though are by no means the end of your worries - you'll have to stand out against people with the same grades as you.

edit: Teh ironyz
Assuming your PS and interviews are good, you should be perfectly fine.
Um.. you have straight As. They stress that they do not focus on grades but on the person as a whole. Someone got into Cambridge this year with only 3 GCSEs. Also, you might as well apply - what have you got to lose!?
Undulipodium
I don't think that you're grasp of english is sufficient, but I think that you know that you're grades are sufficient. Grades though are by no means the end of your worries - you'll have to stand out against people with the same grades as you.

It's your grasp not you're grasp.

Tsssk.

You're means you are. And your is a possessive pronoun.
learner_dancer
It's your grasp not you're grasp.

Tsssk.

You're means you are. And your is a possessive pronoun.

Damn, I thought I had corrected my error in time.

*Hangs head in shame*
No, but you're lack of self-awareness is pushing it immensely. Do not apply.
so far so good. Keep it up though and make sure you do well at interviews!
No, they're fine, just PLEASE change the text colour to something more readable
Undulipodium
Damn, I thought I had corrected my error in time.

*Hangs head in shame*

Nobody can escape my grammar wrath. MWAHAHAHAHA.
Reply 1593
Yes, it will hinder your chances. But you are well advised to give Cambridge a shot anyway if you really want to go there. A good PS and some proven enthusiasm for and experience with Law (as I understand it, some work experience is viewed as very important for Law applications) can still get you an interview, and that's your chance to shine. There are plenty of students who've been accepted at Cambridge with AAB or lower, though the chances for such a competitive subject as Law probably aren't so high. At the end of the day though it's only one of your six choices, and you lose nothing by giving it a shot.
Reply 1594
There's nothing at all wrong with your grades, isn't that quite clear..? They're very good.

There's no harm in applying in any situation. Don't get hung up about UMS marks or anything, they really don't matter. Just practice STEP papers for interview, and make sure you're comfortable with absolutely everything from your course. Don't worry about reading outside the syllabus, it's not needed at all.
Reply 1595
I think AS grades have a large bearing on whether they make you an offer. Realistically your grades will probably put you at a disadvantage, but it's still perfectly possible. Go for it, there's nothing to loose and everything to gain, right? :smile:
Reply 1596
prag92
I collected my AS Results today hoping to achieve 3 A's and a pass in my maths AS, with the ambition to apply to Cambridge later this year for Law. I know the 3 A's are essential but I also know Cambridge access modular results and still look onto predictions. However, I feel 1 mark short with an A's in History and English Lit/Lang and a B in Biology, missing the A by one mark, and a C for Maths.

My teachers advise a coursework re-moderation as well as a re-mark to find that 1 mark though I do not know when my altered grades will come through (does anybody know when they normally come through?). Also, does anybody know/care to share their thoughts about whether my current results, AAB C hinder my chances siginficantly if I were to still apply to Cambridge in October as opposed to me having AAA C (potentially through a re-mark) or should I just forget about applying there n settle for the general AAA uni's who just want the final A-level results next summer?

Go for it :smile: I acheived AABDE at AS Level, got an offer and consequently i'm going there in October. Don't get me wrong it'll probably be tougher than most because of your grades, but at the end of the day it's only one choice out of 5, and if you don't apply, you never know what might happen :smile:
i am just about to start year 13 and have just recieved my as level results. i got 3 A's and 2 B's these were
a - italian 90+ %
a - french 100% Ums marks
a - economics 86 %
b - maths (a in core 1 b in core 2 and c in mechanics1)
b in geography ( a in human/physical and c in skills)

im looking to apply to cambridge for land economy but i dont know if these grades would make it useless applying. can anyone help me on this? in my gcses i got 10 A*s and 2 As so i dont know if that would help. i was predicted 5 As this year and instead got these grades. next year i am dropping maths and therefore cannot retake it but i could in theory retake all the others. Could someone please let me know if they know how cambridge applications work? do they look at modular results for as too or would my b in geography be not looked at if i retook the skills module next year and say achieved an a or b which would boost my overall geography as level up to an A grade?
thanks in advance
They ask you why you didnt get a's in your modules and what an explanation. Someone asked this on the open day i remember.
They look at individual UMS breakdowns, resits and all that. Apply.

Latest

Trending

Trending