The Student Room Group

Tranferring university for 2nd year - is it too late now?

Hey,

I'm in first year at university, and I've never felt completely happy at my university. The university I'm attending at the moment was my insurance choice, and my A-Level grades were slightly compromised by some awful family issues I've had to go through, so I didn't get into my firm; somewhere I had my heart completely set on. I've made the effort and tried to make myself happy by being proactive - e.g moving accommodation, joining societies etc. and to some extent it has helped.

However, it's got to a point where I have so many niggles about my student life, the place where I am and the course that I'm on that I'm wondering if it's worth taking my chances somewhere else for year 2 - maybe even see if the university I firmed last year would give me a second chance.

Where I am at the moment, I always feel like the "back up friend" and that noone would really mind if I just upped and left; even after all the effort I have made to put myself out there and be friendly. The place where I am has never been what I expected either, and last but not least the course (even though I love the subejct) is boring, the department is the most unorganised and they really don't seem to care about the student's needs, which through everything I've been through, I've found them unsympathetic in most cases.

But there obviously obstacles in the way:

1. Is it too late to move into second year? The last thing I want to do is take a gap year, I do love studying and I consider myself able and bright enough to carry on.

2. I've already signed a contract for a house in the place where I am already. I feel it'd be a lot of hassle to sort that out and I'd feel slightly bad about leaving them (although if I'm really unhappy, I guess I'd have to be slightly selfish)

3. Will the "grass be greener on the other side"? (Obviously no one can answer that).

I'm just in a bit of a muddle on what to do. If I'd been happy until now then obviously I'd wait it through, but ever since the start of the year I thought it'd get better, and whilst it does at times, half the time I really do feel like I should be somewhere else.
Reply 1
It's not too late, but you may find that your A Levels limit your choices. Generally, if you weren't good enough to get in the first year you won't get a transfer. Any offers you do get will be conditional on first year results so although you're not happy you still need to do well.

You would need to contact the unis you want to change to. You can apply to 5, but may want to start by contacting more (or fewer, you don't need to apply to 5). Tell them your circumstances, but keep initial contact brief. They can request more info later, but if you overwhelm them then they may not read it all anyway.

Once you have chosen your 5 you would submit a UCAS application in the usual way. This will involve writing a new personal statement - you're a year older now and should know a lot more about your subject. You'll also need a reference and ideally this should be from your current uni to show you're not moving for academic reasons.
Reply 2
Hey!
I dont think its too late! im exactly the same as you, contemplating (well in the processo of) transferring to a uni closer to home. Ive given it a shot but its still a struggle :/ Same as you, ive signed a contract for a house though, not sure how ill get out of that one, fingers crossed, although, there are so many things to take into consideration, the uni i want to transfer to isnt ranked as high as the other one, but i get so miserable at the one im at it could well affect my grades anyway! But do employers really care what uni you go to if you got a good grade at the end of it anyway!?

To (try to) answer your question, i called up the uni im intending on transferring to on thursday and they said to apply asap through ucas and change point of entry to 2 and wait and see! Sometimes, if you ace your year they might reconsider you at your first choice uni, its worth a shot surely? otherwise youll always wonder what if i did change, we're paying so much money, why should we spend it being unhappy!

Hope it helps! I know how you feel so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending