The Student Room Group

Part time jobs are impossible to get!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Oh OK, that's fine. So, here's what happened on my assessment day:

I was in a room with about 40 other people going for jobs too. Firstly, they got us all to arrange ourselves in a line in alphabet order (by first name). We then had to sit in the rows of chairs in alphabet order.

One by one, each person had to go up on the stage and give a brief introduction about ourselves. The questions we got were: What's your name? What languages can you speak? Tell us something unusual about you.

Then we were split into groups of about 6, and had to to work together to create a presentation about what words describe what it takes to work in customer services at Harrods. Then each group did their presentation on the stage to everyone else in the room.

That's kinda the gist of it. It seems like they're wanting really confident, out-going people. I cam across shy that day, and consequently didn't get the job unfortunately. But hopefully you can do well :smile:

Oh I'm sorry you didn't get the job, there's always a next time! :smile:

Was your assessment for an hour?

My retail experience isn't that great and I never worked in luxury places before so I'm worried.
Thank you very much really helpful. :smile:
Original post by *SallySalon*
Oh I'm sorry you didn't get the job, there's always a next time! :smile:

Was your assessment for an hour?

My retail experience isn't that great and I never worked in luxury places before so I'm worried.
Thank you very much really helpful. :smile:

I can't really remember how long it was, sorry. I think it must have been less than an hour though. I only had one month's experience in a charity shop when I got called for the assessment. I'm sure you'll be fine though, since a lot of it is just common sense.
Could you please tell me what kind of things I should say about "something unusual" that will impress them?
I can't really remember how long it was, sorry. I think it must have been less than an hour though. I only had one month's experience in a charity shop when I got called for the assessment. I'm sure you'll be fine though, since a lot of it is just common sense.

Aww I worked in a charity shop too :smile:
Yea hopefully it will be finee :smile:
Jeez, how annoying are Wallis? I applied for a job at a new store near me, and all they do is add me to their email shopping newsletter :mad:

No one will give me a job. So sad :frown:
Jeez, how annoying are Wallis? I applied for a job at a new store near me, and all they do is add me to their email shopping newsletter :mad:

No one will give me a job. So sad :frown:

Print 50 CVs walk around town give them to shop owners.
I'm sure you'll get at least one reply.
Original post by Theconomist

I'm sure you probably won't get any replies (at least in my experience when I was in sixth form).
Original post by WelshBluebird
I'm sure you probably won't get any replies (at least in my experience when I was in sixth form).

You will.The thing is most people look at the brand names, tesco,mcdonald etc.They don't look at mom&pops run small shops that need all the part time help they can get.

I did that once but didn't really get anywhere. Ah, I suppose I could try it again though.
You will.The thing is most people look at the brand names, tesco,mcdonald etc.They don't look at mom&pops run small shops that need all the part time help they can get.

The problem is most of those smaller shops simply cannot afford to take anyone on right now.
Original post by lyrical_lie
I had 4:
Dominos, a butchers, Game and Clintons.
All before I turned 18 and whilst in 5th and 6th year. I then proceeded to get my now job during the summer of 6th year going into uni.

Dear OP, Call centres. I work in one, £8.50 an hour, sure the targets might be tricky but they're ALWAYS looking for people because such a high turn over. Check all the bank websites. That's how I got mine. :smile:

Which call centre? :beard:
I was looking for 3 years then 2 came at the same time.

I took both :sexface:
Original post by katyness
I was looking for 3 years then 2 came at the same time.

I took both :sexface:

Greedy! hehehehe
Where are they?
It seems networking is the way to go!
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

Seeing as you live in Glasgow. Most banks have their call centres in Scotland. Give Lloyds TSB a try :smile:
Original post by BeccaCath94
Greedy! hehehehe
Where are they?

Teaching cheerleading in a Primary School and working in a store
Original post by katyness
Teaching cheerleading in a Primary School and working in a store

Ooh cool! Cheerleading sounds pretty fun :smile:
Original post by jhubbert
Seeing as you live in Glasgow. Most banks have their call centres in Scotland. Give Lloyds TSB a try :smile:

Cheers buddy.
Original post by ArcadiaHouse

Are you stalking me :P

And Lloyds Tsb. It's next to Central x
I'm in Year 11 and I got a job on my sixteenth birthday. Go to your biggest shopping centre and hand CV's in at literally every store. Also, do this repetitively. I work in retail and when someone quits they tend to hire someone VERY quick. You need to be on the ball. They don't sit down and review people's CVs they tend to just pick the latest one up and if it's slightly suitable offer them an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending