The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Groat
There's no need to compare, at all.

I think Gatsby is a great choice simply because there are so few chapters, although most you could say the same about most of the selected poems.

Do you think they'll repeat a chapter for Gatsby?

I think they won't yet, so they'll do 1/2/6 or 7 which was the specimen one? Because otherwise they've recently [last 2 years MS's] layed out every criteria for full marks basically.
Reply 381
Original post by Groat
I'll probably refrain from using it, as the examiners' report always comments on candidates using terms they don't fully understand.

Ooh, seems like I put a narrative aspect in that comment without realising . . . :colone:

Same- I would rather use vocabulary that I am confident with than put in words just to appear more intelligent (when e..g their incorrect use could make for an ironic situation :tongue:
Reply 382
What would you all write about the siginficance of openings in Enduring Love and the Tennyson poems. HELP.
Reply 383
Original post by Groat
I'll probably refrain from using it, as the examiners' report always comments on candidates using terms they don't fully understand.

Ooh, seems like I put a narrative aspect in that comment without realising . . . :colone:

it justmens falshback, so if your going to write falshback just use analepsis instead; they mean the exact same thing
Reply 384
Original post by Groat

lol
AND LOL :biggrin:
Reply 385
Original post by racaha

Original post by racaha
I do that! Then my essays have loads of comments like, 'Not relevant. Why does this link to the question? Refer back to Q.' :&quot:wink:

not really relative because "past tense" isn't a language feature... Stuff like similies, ajectives, verbs are language terms
Reply 386
Original post by karanjot
not really relative because "past tense" isn't a language feature... Stuff like similies, ajectives, verbs are language terms

What? :confused: Have you quoted the wrong person? :smile:
Reply 387
Original post by EffKayy
lol
AND LOL :biggrin:

I'm glad someone found it funny! :colondollar:

Original post by Expendable
I think they won't yet, so they'll do 1/2/6 or 7 which was the specimen one? Because otherwise they've recently [last 2 years MS's] layed out every criteria for full marks basically.

Surely for English Literature, it's more about your writing style. I'm sure most of us here have heard our teacher's points but it's all about getting them down in a fluent and cogent style. Therefore the mark scheme doesn't really help other than prompt ideas?
Original post by Groat
I'm glad someone found it funny! :colondollar:

Surely for English Literature, it's more about your writing style. I'm sure most of us here have heard our teacher's points but it's all about getting them down in a fluent and cogent style. Therefore the mark scheme doesn't really help other than prompt ideas?

The 21/21 essays we were shown were written terribly but simply ticked the boxes. Pretty sure only B has AO1/Coherence etc as part of the mark scheme?

I guess, but our class at least has done nearly every past question in detail for mocks etc? Same could be said for teachers picking the other ones to do though I guess.
Reply 389
The 21/21 essays we were shown were written terribly but simply ticked the boxes. Pretty sure only B has AO1/Coherence etc as part of the mark scheme?

I guess, but our class at least has done nearly every past question in detail for mocks etc? Same could be said for teachers picking the other ones to do though I guess.

Section A (b) and Section B are all tested for AO1.

So are you saying that they just talked about every point on the mark scheme, rather than the best points in detail?

Are those scripts available to everyone?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 390

Thank you :smile:
Reply 391
Original post by racaha
What? :confused: Have you quoted the wrong person? :smile:

DO YOU DO TENNYSON? help meee on openings if you do! :L
Reply 392
Original post by EffKayy
DO YOU DO TENNYSON? help meee on openings if you do! :L

No, I don't do Tennyson, sorry! :no:
Reply 393
Original post by racaha
No, I don't do Tennyson, sorry! :no:

okay, thanks anyways.
LOL at all of us going mental on here! haha i've effed it.. jus sayin' :frown:
Reply 394
Original post by Groat

So are you saying that they just talked about every point on the mark scheme, rather than the best points in detail?

Tennyson openings? :frown:
Reply 395
Original post by EffKayy
Tennyson openings? :frown:

Dramatic monologue, internal conflict (Ulysses, Tithonus). Usually sets the scene, lots of description of setting.

It's a hard question!
Reply 396
Original post by Groat
Dramatic monologue, internal conflict (Ulysses, Tithonus). Usually sets the scene, lots of description of setting.

It's a hard question!

Also the opening of godiva...interesting.:smile:

Mariana -opening of dismal setting sets the scene straight away etc...
Original post by racaha
I'm doing Great Gatsby Enduring Love and Rossetti.

I was wondering about the focus thing for one text, because Great Gatsby is only really short isn't it, so there are only 9 chapters that they can ask about. Hmm, anyone got any advice? I was thinking it would be handy for revision because then there is less to remember but I might run it past my teachers after Easter to check. I still can't remember what they want for each section properly! SO it's:

Section A: question a) how do they tell the story question b) what do you think about such a such a interpretation/theme.

Section B: How do all three texts do such a- such a thing.

Remember that you don't have to talk about them all equally in section B, one can have more focus than the others, as long as it's not just a sentence or whatever.
Section A question a is focused on AO2 Form Structure and Language
Section A question b is focussed on AO1 AO3 and AO4 critical vocabulary, different interpretations and context.
Section B is focussed on AO1 AO2 AO3 critical vocabulary, form, structure, language, interpretations.

How are you going to do question A)a) lang,form and structure?

can you elaborate on what points I should make on those three, thanks.
Original post by Groat

The one past-script from a candidate at our school had terrible grammar/spelling but used a lot of technical expressions like hyperbole etc, so I guess that must have made up for it.

They went into points in some detail, but it was constant points/detail no waffle etc
Reply 399
The one past-script from a candidate at our school had terrible grammar/spelling but used a lot of technical expressions like hyperbole etc, so I guess that must have made up for it.

They went into points in some detail, but it was constant points/detail no waffle etc

Ah, fair enough. I'm sure my writing style is good enough, I just need to get the analysis in there!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending