The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Braede
Of course :smile:

Will you send it me then please! :biggrin:
Reply 721
Original post by Shedrick94
Well, I'm hoping to be doing it for section B, so I really need to know about the harder things like narrative gaps and setting. Because I think if character names came up I'd be pretty safe.

Anything you would like to know I've got loads on auden!

ah okay :smile: Setting's good for Gatsby, but the important thing to remember is that it encompasses time as well as place. The entire novel is set in the 1920s, so of course all the locations featured are lavish and beautiful.

Gatsby's house - gorgeous, enormous, yet also somewhat empty; the reader connects with Gatsby's loneliness. Basically, his house is the pinnacle of life in the Roaring Twenties - it symbolises the American Dream, his reinvention, and his aspirations with regards to Daisy.

The hotel room (ch7) - again engages with the frivolity of the era; they're wealthy enough to hire out numerous rooms.

Valley of Ashes - symbolises the underside to wealth, the physical corruption perhaps?

Narrative gaps:

the entire narrative is non-linear, so it's hard to notice where information is missing. Nick is a subjective narrator, although he claims to be objective - pretty much from the first page, we can tell that he's biased towards Gatsby, and enjoys romanticising him etc. Therefore, all the unrefined, uglier details of his past are suppressed - for example, the opening of chapter 4, and quickly replaced with details that further present Gatsby in a positive light.

I think that's the most important points for those two - is there anything else? This is actually really good revision :smile:
Do you have any notes for 1st September, If I Could Tell You, O Where Are You Going etc? :biggrin:
Reply 722
Original post by pennyy
please please do! I'm studying Tennyson, Gatsby and Enduring Love :smile:

do you have an email? as I have no clue how to attach them :s-smilie: will email them to you tomorrow!
Probably the hardest exam I have got coming up and I am so worried. It doesnt help that we have 2 teachers, one being "nice" and giving me A's and high B's, the other giving me low C's...
Has anyone got any good tips to help me? Notes on Gatsby, Tennyson or the Kite Runner will be highly appreciated.
Got to get an A but I think it will be a tough task, I did get Band 6 in the coursework which helps I think.
Thank you!
Reply 724
Original post by lampshade1
do you have an email? as I have no clue how to attach them :s-smilie: will email them to you tomorrow!

yeah, I'll inbox it to you? Ah, thank you so much!!
Original post by lampshade1

Haha no worries it's [email protected]
Original post by pennyy
ah okay :smile: Setting's good for Gatsby, but the important thing to remember is that it encompasses time as well as place. The entire novel is set in the 1920s, so of course all the locations featured are lavish and beautiful.

Gatsby's house - gorgeous, enormous, yet also somewhat empty; the reader connects with Gatsby's loneliness. Basically, his house is the pinnacle of life in the Roaring Twenties - it symbolises the American Dream, his reinvention, and his aspirations with regards to Daisy.

The hotel room (ch7) - again engages with the frivolity of the era; they're wealthy enough to hire out numerous rooms.

Valley of Ashes - symbolises the underside to wealth, the physical corruption perhaps?

Narrative gaps:

the entire narrative is non-linear, so it's hard to notice where information is missing. Nick is a subjective narrator, although he claims to be objective - pretty much from the first page, we can tell that he's biased towards Gatsby, and enjoys romanticising him etc. Therefore, all the unrefined, uglier details of his past are suppressed - for example, the opening of chapter 4, and quickly replaced with details that further present Gatsby in a positive light.

I think that's the most important points for those two - is there anything else? This is actually really good revision :smile:
Do you have any notes for 1st September, If I Could Tell You, O Where Are You Going etc? :biggrin:

That's brilliant thanks! What kind of notes do you need? Form structure language, or just some general notes of the poems? I just wanna know so i dont type out loads of stuff that you already have. :biggrin:
Reply 727

Sorry for the delay :smile:
Having to write them up again because they're not on this computer. Sending them to you question by question now - i've just emailed you the first part of my Section A.
Original post by Braede
Sorry for the delay :smile:
Having to write them up again because they're not on this computer. Sending them to you question by question now - i've just emailed you the first part of my Section A.

That's brilliant. I struggle to write with such fluency when I'm in an exam. So I can't express what I want to without sounding a total goon. I need a while to prepare and arrange my sentences. Seems that you don't have that problem!!!! That's a fantastic essay.
Reply 729
That's brilliant. I struggle to write with such fluency when I'm in an exam. So I can't express what I want to without sounding a total goon. I need a while to prepare and arrange my sentences. Seems that you don't have that problem!!!! That's a fantastic essay.

Aww, thank-you. :smile:
Just finished writing the second part, so that is coming your way now as well.
Reply 730

what notes do you want? :smile:
Reply 731
That's brilliant thanks! What kind of notes do you need? Form structure language, or just some general notes of the poems? I just wanna know so i dont type out loads of stuff that you already have. :biggrin:

ahh, *chapter 6, sorry! (gaps in narrative)

ermm, yeah basically any notes at all would be welcome! I have no idea what's going on etc :frown:
Original post by Braede

Hiya, would you be able to send me your essays too please? Copy and pasted into a PM if that's ok?
Thank you!! I'm doing it on Gatsby, Enduring Love, Auden and Hardy, fairly scared as English is so hard to revise for :frown:
Original post by pennyy
ahh, *chapter 6, sorry! (gaps in narrative)

ermm, yeah basically any notes at all would be welcome! I have no idea what's going on etc :frown:

If you send me your email, I'll get them back to you tomorrow, I'm going to Warwick to have a look at the university. I hope to be home about 3 or 4 but I'll drop you an email with it all on. :biggrin:
Original post by Braede

I really don't understand where you lost marks
Reply 735
Can PM anyone Great Gatsby notes, I took that exam last year.

Would appreciate some help on Pardoner's Tale, Chaucer. But can exchange notes on Bloody Chamber and Wuthering Heights. Got a lot of those.
Original post by tsveta
Can PM anyone Great Gatsby notes, I took that exam last year.

Would appreciate some help on Pardoner's Tale, Chaucer. But can exchange notes on Bloody Chamber and Wuthering Heights. Got a lot of those.

Could i have your gatsby notes! I need as many as i can :tongue:
Reply 737
Original post by Braede
Of course :smile:
please may I have a read of it as well if that's alright with you? I have sent you my email address via p.m. Thanks soo much!
Reply 738
Original post by MissSBx
please may I have a read of it as well if that's alright with you? I have sent you my email address via p.m. Thanks soo much!

Just sent it to you :smile:
Hi,

if anyone has any Hardy notes/model answers, particularly A03 for section A)b, I would be eternally grateful. I've never done a practise question/seen a model answer for it so have no idea as to the structure at all...! :frown:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending