The Student Room Group

AQA- English Literature at AS Level, Literature B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by humera01
yes i know my spellign is awful lol.i got an A* in english lit at gcse, and an a in language(my spelling's pushed me down to an a otherwise thta would have been an A* to).

Well done :smile: I got A*A*.

Anyways, are you prepared for the poetry?, e.g. notes ..
Reply 61
Original post by lampshade1
could you read what I wrote above about aspects of narrative? as I'm not sure I've covered any of the certain ones, we haven't actually done ANYTHING on general narrative at school :frown:

scenes and places
voice
point of view/perspective
destination

chracter/ chracterisation-this is generaly about how authers create a sence of chracter- you could cover language analysis here. eg Mcewan collaborates with many lanuage techniques to characterise joe as a sceptic rationalit. For exmaple the predominance of a scientific semantic field 'mathamatical grace' 'points of collision' , immideatly establish Joe's scientific outlook.Furthermore, we can also argue that this use of scientif language creates a detached and robotic quality in Joe's voice 'clarissas tears were a matter of fact', in this sence scientif language can be seen to create a deatched voice.
conversly, we cna also argue that, Mcewans use of scientific language helps him create a sence of scene and setting. For exmaple in the opening chapter McEwan utilises Joe's sceientif voice to create vivid detail about the (i dont have the text with me right now but just find a quote and splot it in).

you should pick about three aspects of narrative to explore in section a, also refer to form , structure and language throughout. you would weve this in to your responce. for example you could link voice and point of view with the strutcure of the novel.This is becosue joe is a self counsious narrator who is narrating the story retrospectivel, and therefore shapes the structure of the novel.

hope that helps : )
Reply 62
scenes and places
voice
point of view/perspective
destination

chracter/ chracterisation-this is generaly about how authers create a sence of chracter- you could cover language analysis here. eg Mcewan collaborates with many lanuage techniques to characterise joe as a sceptic rationalit. For exmaple the predominance of a scientific semantic field 'mathamatical grace' 'points of collision' , immideatly establish Joe's scientific outlook.Furthermore, we can also argue that this use of scientif language creates a detached and robotic quality in Joe's voice 'clarissas tears were a matter of fact', in this sence scientif language can be seen to create a deatched voice.
conversly, we cna also argue that, Mcewans use of scientific language helps him create a sence of scene and setting. For exmaple in the opening chapter McEwan utilises Joe's sceientif voice to create vivid detail about the (i dont have the text with me right now but just find a quote and splot it in).

you should pick about three aspects of narrative to explore in section a, also refer to form , structure and language throughout. you would weve this in to your responce. for example you could link voice and point of view with the strutcure of the novel.This is becosue joe is a self counsious narrator who is narrating the story retrospectivel, and therefore shapes the structure of the novel.

hope that helps : )

Aah cool.
Your teacher must be brilliant.
Reply 63
Original post by joe__
Well done :smile: I got A*A*.

Anyways, are you prepared for the poetry?, e.g. notes ..

kind of, iv done some practice essays for about four fo tennysons poems and got between 15-18 makrs on them...so i need to improve and consolidate by notes ..how about we all do notes for a different poem in depth and than share the notes...within eachpoem we could cover each aspect fo narrativeand form?structure and language
Reply 64

kind of, iv done some practice essays for about four fo tennysons poems and got between 15-18 makrs on them...so i need to improve and consolidate by notes ..how about we all do notes for a different poem in depth and than share the notes...within eachpoem we could cover each aspect fo narrativeand form?structure and language

such a good idea! same for novels? if we share notes it'll make the task easier! I can do Tennyson poems ?
Reply 65
Original post by lampshade1
such a good idea! same for novels? if we share notes it'll make the task easier! I can do Tennyson poems ?

shall we start exploring one of the poems now..iv been meaning to strat my reivsion notes since 5 but have been distracted lol.. shall we start with ullyses
Reply 66
I made notes today on that one! Here you go:
Ulysses
Returning King who doesn’t want to stay wants to continue his adventures.
Intro of an ‘idle King’ ‘still hearth’ ‘barren crags’ aged wife’ quite a dismal, boring place where nothing’s happening.
Refers to his people as ‘savage race’ as far as he’s concerned, they haven’t evolved into normal people,
‘That hoard, and sleep, and’ mundane sounding and monosyllabic.
‘know not me’ feels unappreciated.
‘I will drink life to the Lees’ frivolous
‘I am become a name’ thinks he is famous.
‘For always roaming with a hungry heart’ roaming, like a lion, hungry heart personifying the heart, eager for new things. Alliteration emphasises desire.
‘Manners, climates, councils, governments’ quick list, excitement!
‘I am part of all that I have met’ ego-centric, he has impacted on everything he’s met, or he has everything impacted on him.
‘Gleams that untravelle’d world’ each experience opens more experiences to him. Gleams suggest something special.
Comparing himself to a sword, ‘to rust unburnish’d, not to shine in use’ he thinks he is worth a great deal.
Couldn’t even manage without it for ‘three suns’, ‘gray spirit yearning in desire’.
Presenting Telemachus who will take over.
Now ‘rugged people’ as opposed to ‘savage race’, ‘soft degrees’ as opposed to ‘unequal laws’ an audience has appeared, or he wants to make it seem easier for his son?
‘The vessel puffs her sail’ personification, sense of fondness, ready to go now!
‘dark broad seas’- vast emptiness, unknown places.
‘thunder and sunshine’ pathetic fallacy, through the good times and the bad.
Realises ‘you and I are old’, but we’ll go anyway!
‘noble role’ his exploration and voyages.
Personification of the end of the day: ‘the long day wanes: the slow moon climbs’ end of life too, that’s why personification is quite effective.
‘a newer world’ away from work/stress? are they journeying to heaven?
‘beyond the sunset’ ‘Happy Isles’ ‘see the great Achilles’
They are weaker now ‘one equal temper of heroic hearts’ he sees them as all being in agreement.
‘made weak by time and fate’ it’s not their fault.
‘To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield’ if you give up then that means you do not have strength of mind.
Form
Dramatic monologue shown by first person narration, perhaps he gets an audience from ‘this is my son’.
Refers to himself as the ‘idle King’ majority of the poem concerned with himself, self-absorbed.
He uses ego-centric phrases showing the dramatic monologue, ‘I am part of all that I have met’.
By the beginning of the poem he establishes how he feels about others which makes him seem more superior and paves the way for the monologue to continue.
Structure
Four sections = all one stanza, like a stream of consciousness.
Indent when ‘this is my son’ suggests another section of the poem, a new audience.
Indent ‘there lies port’ new audience again moving into a different time frame.
Language
ego-centric, emotive, philosophical
‘Myself not least, nut honour’d of them all’ ego-centric.
‘savage race’ superior to his people.
‘and sleep, and feed and know not me’ monotonous, mundane sounds rubbish in comparison to ‘that unravell’d world’.
Sense of realisation ‘You and I are old’
Personification of the end of life, ‘the long day wanes’
Characterisation
King, his people and Telemachus
‘I am become a name’ famous, ‘an idle King, he feels he is worth more.
His people: ‘savage race’ ‘a rugged people’, shows a changing description with a changing audience but he clearly thinks he is superior to them.
Telemachus: ‘slow prudence’ ‘decent not to fail’ a contrast, more reasonable and committed, contrast to King, he is selfish?
Narrative Voice
Dramatic monologue, his personal feelings.
‘yearning in desire, to follow knowledge’ he wants to continue voyaging for all his life.
Time and Sequence
Mentioning, past, present and future, showing his possibilities and what he has already done.
‘It may be’ twice, ‘gulf will wash us down’ ‘touch the Happy Isles’ what will happen after death, heaven or hell, some after life?
‘one equal temper of heroic hearts’ something constant between them, past ‘much have I seen and known’ shows how full his past has been.
Place
‘still hearth among these barren crags’ empty and desolate.
‘manners, climates, councils, governments’ what he did in the past.
‘for ever and for ever’ suggests expansive never-ending time.
for some three suns’ a reference to the cycle of day, shows the way they thought.
Context
Thoughts about life, death and authority.
Reply 67
wow hahha shall we try doing an essay for it : how does teenyson tell the story in Ullyses. you wte a paragraph on scnes and places and ill do one on chracterisation and welll just takign one aspect at a time like that (by the way...woop i foudn a revision bud..lol)
Reply 68
In Ulysses a 'still hearth' and 'barren crags' are all that seem to surround the 'idle King'. This suggests that the King has little if anything surrounding him thus making him idle. The particular use of the word barren has connotations of, of course, an empty space, but also of nothing to do. This, we quickly learn is what the King despises, he yearns for things to do and adventures. This shows the present place in which the King resides.

However, Tennyson shows how the King focuses on his past, is even fixated by his past experiences, thus making him explain the places he has visited. The King talks of 'manners, climates, councils, governments' which shows the busy lifestyle which he was used to and now craves. This, being at the beginning of the poem, seems to put emphaisis on the need for more adventures because of his past experience. Also the use of a list shows how the setting around him seems to have driven the King into a madness, a want to leave his 'savage race'. This shows how Tennyson creates a setting which is so bleak so the reader may try to understand the frame of mind of the King.

not sure if that makes any sense? and yey :P aha
Reply 69
Tennyson's use of discriptive pros is highly effective creating a sence of chracters in the poem .for example premodifying adjectives such as 'aged' and 'idle' help to chracterise ullyses wife and the type of king thta he does nto wish to be like.we can subsequenlty argue that these pre-modifying adjectives help to demonstrate ullyses point of view and perspective.moreover, ullyses reference to his ‘savage race’ evokes animalist images which similarly reflect ullyses point of view and perception of the pople who 'know not me'.Ullyses discirption of hiself is also significant. For example ,the personifiacntio of his heart 'roaming with a hungry heart’ , appropriatly links ullyses with predatory animals such as lion's ; this serves to highlight ullyses disire for a life of activity and aventure.This aspect of his chracter is further devleopd by tennysons in reference to the 'soals' with whom Ullyses 'toiled, and wrought and thought';this list of three active verbs here, coupled with the internal rhyme of 'whrought' and 'thought' serves to create a phonologicla effect which forces us to say the words slowly. This inturn force us to think about why a life of activity appeals to ULLYSES so much ; this in turn helps Tennysons to tell the story oF Ullyses.
conversly, one margue that the internal rhyme of 'wrought' and 'thought' creates a sence of harmony which reinforces a sence of companionohip hat Ullyses felt with his mariners.
roaming, like a lion, hungry heart personifying the heart, eager for new things. Alliteration emphasises desire.
Reply 70
now shall we take each other paragraphs and make changes in red to show eahc other where we could improve
Reply 71
Okay :smile:
Reply 72
Tennyson's use of descriptive prose is highly effective in creating a sense of character within the poem. (can't really say a sense of character?) a sense of distaste on the King's part. For example pre-modifying adjectives such as 'aged' and 'idle' help to characterise Ulysses wife and the type of king that he does not wish to be. Subsequently we can argue that these pre-modifying adjectives help to demonstrate Ulysses point of view and perspective. Moreover, Ulysses reference to his ‘savage race’ evokes animalist images which similarly reflect Ulysses point of view and perception of the people who 'know not me'.
Ullyses description of himself is also significant. For example, the personification of his heart 'roaming with a hungry heart’, appropriately links Ulysses with predatory animals such as lion’s; this serves to highlight Ulysses desire for a life of activity and adventure. This aspect of his character is further developed by Tennyson in reference to the 'souls' with whom Ulysses 'toiled, and wrought and thought’; this list of three active verbs here, coupled with the internal rhyme of 'wrought' and 'thought' creates a phonological effect which forces us to say the words slowly. This in turn makes us think about why a life of activity appeals to Ulysses so much; this helps Tennyson’s to tell the story of Ulysses.
Conversely, one may argue that the internal rhyme of 'wrought' and 'thought' creates a sense of harmony which reinforces a sense of companionship that Ulysses felt with his mariners, which he longs to return to.
Just altered the spelling and changed/added a couple of things, but other than that, flawless! You write in a sophisticated manner which I can only dream of! :P You include specific language and explain your quotes thoroughly, brilliant :smile:
Reply 73
Tennysons effectively uses scenes and places to represent the main themes of the poem. In Ulysses a 'still hearth' and 'barren crags' are all that seem to surround the 'idle King'.The predmodifying adjectives 'still' and 'barren' have connotations of, of course, an empty space, but also of nothing to do. This suggests that the king is 'idle', exactly the inactivity and stagnation that he despises; he yearns for things to do and adventures'how dul it is pause'. In this way , we can argue that scenes and places are used in a ironic way, to contrast with the protagonists disire for adventure.this lends the text great meaning as it serves to emphasise ullyses frustrtaion with his stagnanat setting.
However, Tennyson shows how the King focuses on his past, is even fixated by his past experiences, thus making him explain the places he has visited. The King talks of 'manners, climates, councils, governments' which shows the busy lifestyle which he was used to and now craves. This, being at the beginning of the poem, seems to put emphaisis on the need for more adventures because of his past experience. Also the use of a list shows how the setting around him seems to have driven the King into a madness, a want to leave his 'savage race'. In this way it seems that tennysons uses the scens and settings of the present to reflect ullyses present frustartaion with his lack of activity;these settigns are subsequentyl dilibrately to emphasise the frame of mind of the King, and thus relfetc his perspective.

what you wrote ws vergood. I have made soem changes to rogansie your ideas better. by having a topic sentence andvistronger links to the question si this way the examiner will give you higher a01 points. but on balance , it was a WICKED ANSWER......by the way ig ave up with writing in red...lol..but i hope you can see where iv made the cahnges.......caing each others work like this proper helps you get in the frame ofmind of the examiner...and it shoudl therefore help us to get better results...fingers crossed...xxx
Reply 74

Tennysons effectively uses scenes and places to represent the main themes of the poem. In Ulysses a 'still hearth' and 'barren crags' are all that seem to surround the 'idle King'.The predmodifying adjectives 'still' and 'barren' have connotations of, of course, an empty space, but also of nothing to do. This suggests that the king is 'idle', exactly the inactivity and stagnation that he despises; he yearns for things to do and adventures'how dul it is pause'. In this way , we can argue that scenes and places are used in a ironic way, to contrast with the protagonists disire for adventure.this lends the text great meaning as it serves to emphasise ullyses frustrtaion with his stagnanat setting.
However, Tennyson shows how the King focuses on his past, is even fixated by his past experiences, thus making him explain the places he has visited. The King talks of 'manners, climates, councils, governments' which shows the busy lifestyle which he was used to and now craves. This, being at the beginning of the poem, seems to put emphaisis on the need for more adventures because of his past experience. Also the use of a list shows how the setting around him seems to have driven the King into a madness, a want to leave his 'savage race'. In this way it seems that tennysons uses the scens and settings of the present to reflect ullyses present frustartaion with his lack of activity;these settigns are subsequentyl dilibrately to emphasise the frame of mind of the King, and thus relfetc his perspective.

what you wrote ws vergood. I have made soem changes to rogansie your ideas better. by having a topic sentence andvistronger links to the question si this way the examiner will give you higher a01 points. but on balance , it was a WICKED ANSWER......by the way ig ave up with writing in red...lol..but i hope you can see where iv made the cahnges.......caing each others work like this proper helps you get in the frame ofmind of the examiner...and it shoudl therefore help us to get better results...fingers crossed...xxx

yeah I got where you changed it, this does actually really help :smile:
Reply 75
'sophisticated manner which I can only dream of!'--lol u think--i actualy feel like i write rubish..lool...but dont worry if we keep answering answers together like this you will soon adopt the style...its jsut abotu amign the lnks to the questio--coz your points are realy good and very well explained-- -
Reply 76
which aspect of narrative shall we do now ;you do time and sequence and ill do voice/point of view.
rember for time and sequence you cna make links back to what your point before abotu how the past is idealsised
Reply 77
Tennysosn use of voice and point fo view is highly significant.The poem takes the form of a dramatic monolouge with the protagonst 'Ullyses' addresing an audience in a first person retrospective narrative(as ndicated by the perosnal pronoun'I').given that Ullyses is tlaking ,Tennson creates a sence of natural speath through his use of metre; thorughout the poem a stander metre of iambic perntarmeter ('to srtive/to se4k/to find/and not /to yeild') to immitatethe rhythem and flow of natural speach. Varaiations in this iambic norm are than taken advantage by tennyson when he wants to highlight a specific perspective; for exmaple the intitial replcment fo the iambic norm by a troched ,when Ullyses is resenting bing 'matched' with an 'aged wife' , is effective in creatign a sence of contempt

Moreover, This choice of form means that we are given direct insight into Ullyses mind, as we see how he years for adventure as he reflects on 'how dul it is to pause'.In this way the ullyses dominant voice in the poem allows tennysons to highlight Ullyses perspective and thus highlight his account of events, in other words his story.His point of view is highlighted though ego-centric phrases showing his hubristic and arrognat assertions that he is, part of all that' he has 'met’.

Moreover we can argue that form and structure is also used to emphasise Ullyses perspective, as well as the tthematic elements of the poem. for exmaple,the use of enjanmbment approritaly reflects Ullyses disire to push forwerd 'beyond the upmost boun of hum thought'.

Dramatic monologue shown by first person narration, perhaps he gets an audience from ‘this is my son’.
Refers to himself as the ‘idle King’ majority of the poem concerned with himself, self-absorbed.
He uses ego-centric phrases showing the dramatic monologue, ‘I am part of all that I have met’.
By the beginning of the poem he establishes how he feels about others which makes him seem more superior and paves the way for the monologue to continue.
Structure
Four sections = all one stanza, like a stream of consciousness.
Indent when ‘this is my son’ suggests another section of the poem, a new audience.
Indent ‘there lies port’ new audience again moving into a different time frame.
Language
‘I am become a name’ thinks he is famous.
Reply 78
lol egnore the bottom notes--i was gonna sue them to write another paragraph but than fergot.
I'm doing gatsby, Rossetti, hardy and god of small things (swear I'm the only person doing this novel...)
anyone else find it difficult to know where they stand because the markscheme is so vague and subjective? my two teachers give such different marks for my essays it's hard to know where I'm even at

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending