The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants for 2012 entry (& Offers - for when they're given!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by irina793
Well, I would advice you have your portfolio put together, rather than rush it at the last second.

yeah, i'm working on my portfolio now and the applications. hoping to finish by end nov then submit all the applications together. it should be alright?
Reply 141
Well, I would advice you have your portfolio put together, rather than rush it at the last second.

I didn't take art at A level only DT and my GCSE artwork was all thrown away by my school =/ I've started a portfolio but only have 3 pieces so far... would you recommend I keep work on portfolio or just submit?
I wanted to get it sent before November.
Original post by anightrem
yeah, i'm working on my portfolio now and the applications. hoping to finish by end nov then submit all the applications together. it should be alright?

Yeah, that should be fine :biggrin: Good luck!
Original post by Onique
I didn't take art at A level only DT and my GCSE artwork was all thrown away by my school =/ I've started a portfolio but only have 3 pieces so far... would you recommend I keep work on portfolio or just submit?
I wanted to get it sent before November.

Well, I'd say work on your portfolio a few more weeks, then send the application and continue working on the portfolio. :biggrin:
Reply 144
Well, I'd say work on your portfolio a few more weeks, then send the application and continue working on the portfolio. :biggrin:

Good Advice (: give it another 2-3 weeks ^^
hi
this might sound like a stupid question but i'm starting a personal sketchbook that i'll probably take to interviews (if/when i get any) and i was wandering if it's better to base the sketchbook on a theme or just have random paintings or sketches. i'm worried if it's based on a theme it might be too similar to my college sketchbook
Reply 146
Original post by luckycharm
hi
this might sound like a stupid question but i'm starting a personal sketchbook that i'll probably take to interviews (if/when i get any) and i was wandering if it's better to base the sketchbook on a theme or just have random paintings or sketches. i'm worried if it's based on a theme it might be too similar to my college sketchbook

I'd say just sketch as and when you feel with whatever you want to sketch. Makes things more interesting in my opinion. Themes can restrict creativity as well ^^
Reply 147
How many peices do we need for a portfolio and to take to interview?
Reply 148
Original post by Penbole

Each uni has different amounts, check the websites ^^
I'm aiming for ten pieces overall - having to draw all from scratch :frown:
Original post by Penbole

Original post by Penbole

Universities often give you guidelines, at least for portfolios that you mail to them eg. 8-20 sheets of A4 photocopies of your work.

Does anyone who have experience with portfolios know how long it would take to put one together if you only plan to include work you've already done ie. not do any work just for a particular portfolio, and how long do you have until you need to send it?
Reply 150
When are portfolios requested?
Reply 151
Original post by Penbole
When are portfolios requested?

The unis will email you after they've received your application but it varies between unis. Places that interview will probs ask you to take your with you so that'll depend when they interview. Other places may ask for if maybe a month after, so they'll be time to add to it
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 152
Original post by ihatethispart
Universities often give you guidelines, at least for portfolios that you mail to them eg. 8-20 sheets of A4 photocopies of your work.

Does anyone who have experience with portfolios know how long it would take to put one together if you only plan to include work you've already done ie. not do any work just for a particular portfolio, and how long do you have until you need to send it?

I'm in the process of putting mine together but my sister and my friends did theirs last year. I'm leaving at least a week to put mine together but i can imagine it taking a lot longer! If you've already got your work done, it's a case of photographing/photocopying it which can take time, the other time consuming bit is the composition of it all. Once that's done you need to write about the pieces which can take quite a while as well, so don't underestimate the amount of time it takes! And unis will send you an email with a date which they'll want it by after they've got your application
Original post by pongalo

Original post by pongalo
I'm in the process of putting mine together but my sister and my friends did theirs last year.

Woah, they prepared theirs early! A lot of the work I want to use is probably going to be from my coursework but I haven't got any of it back from school yet :/
Do you know anything about the deadlines universities might give you? I'm thinking about handing my application a bit later than I'm supposed to so I can at least get a few extra weeks to prepare.
Reply 154
I'm really interested in applying for architecture however i haven't studied an Arts subject for A Level, I did it at GCSE and got an A* would having a good portfolio at interview be enough? or is it not worth applying
Reply 155
Original post by 5015
I'm really interested in applying for architecture however i haven't studied an Arts subject for A Level, I did it at GCSE and got an A* would having a good portfolio at interview be enough? or is it not worth applying

Most Unis don't mind, they would just require a portfolio (:
Reply 156
Original post by ihatethispart
Woah, they prepared theirs early! A lot of the work I want to use is probably going to be from my coursework but I haven't got any of it back from school yet :/
Do you know anything about the deadlines universities might give you? I'm thinking about handing my application a bit later than I'm supposed to so I can at least get a few extra weeks to prepare.

Sorry! i forgot to say im reapplying :colondollar: so they're off to uni this year. You can get it photographed at school and they really should allow that! At my school i can't get stuff back until November but i'm having my A2 stuff photographed this week.
Well after you apply the unis email you saying 'we've received your application blah blah blah' then they'll email you asking for it shortly after (maybe a few days/a week) with a date they want it in by. The places i applied to last year gave me about 3 weeks to send it off, so you get quite a bit of time although for me i didn't have to prep an entire portfolio of work. For example i did a digital portfolio for brookes and 4 A4 pages for cardiff so they might extend/reduce the time if they ask for only a small amount of work.
Original post by young_architect
Hey, me too! what are your other choices?

I'm thinking my other choice will either be Dundee or Edinburgh, yourself? I'm also applying to do interior design as gsa :biggrin:
Reply 158
im thinking of going to UEL but i need to find 150 ucas points just to meet the minimum requirements :s-smilie:
Reply 159
Original post by benbowl23
im thinking of going to UEL but i need to find 150 ucas points just to meet the minimum requirements :s-smilie:

150 points isn't much. CCC is 240 points, DDD is 180 which is easily do-able so dont worry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending